What Are You Reading Right Now?

10 Jul 2010 18:07 #51 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic What Are You Reading Right Now?
Doesn't sound moderate to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Jul 2010 20:27 #52 by BaconLover

JMC wrote: Doesn't sound moderate to me.

Come on it's Sweedish... How much more moderate can you get??

11 Jul 2010 22:26 #53 by bailey bud

need for greater food production is not critical at this time, we would do better to more efficiently and effectively grow what we do in the regions best suited, and not waste what extra we do have.

Agree --- seems distribution is a bigger problem than food, itself.

Suspect that's why Brand would argue that cities are efficient.

12 Jul 2010 10:18 #54 by FredHayek

ExtremeModerate wrote: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson.

Great trilogy. I wish my wife would get The Gril With the Drago Tattoo finsihed so we could watch the movie :-)

Am reading the second book in the series right now, and plan to see all three films.

Very interesting different take on violence compared to typical American thrillers. Much more torture and damaging your opponent than just killing him.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Jul 2010 13:13 #55 by BaconLover

SS109 wrote:
Am reading the second book in the series right now, and plan to see all three films.

Very interesting different take on violence compared to typical American thrillers. Much more torture and damaging your opponent than just killing him.

Agreed. I bet this certainly shook things up in Sweeden where, I am guessing, violence is not as mainstream as it is here in the US.

If you have Netflix, you can Stream "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". They did a great job on the movie. Just kind of a pain in the butt reading the english subtitles. I want to watch it again and focus on the image, not just on trying to ensure I have everything read.

12 Jul 2010 16:02 #56 by HEARTLESS
Just started "When Technology Fails" by Matthew Stein.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

12 Jul 2010 16:06 #57 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic What Are You Reading Right Now?

HEARTLESS wrote: Just started "When Technology Fails" by Matthew Stein.

I read that, liked it a lot When you finish it would be a great discussion topic

30 Jan 2011 20:33 #58 by ScienceChic
Found it! This thread was waaaayyy back there...

Thought I'd check in and see what everyone's been reading since last we brought this topic out!

I'm currently reading a great one CG lent me called Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology by Eric Brende (an MIT grad student went to live in a "Mennonite" type community foregoing modern technology as his thesis project to see how hard it was to adapt - very enlightening and thought-provoking!).

I'm also reading George Carlin's last book, Last Words, that was a collaboration with a long-time writer friend. I miss that man's wit. You gotta love a book where the author starts the story of his life with his birth AND makes you laugh and scratch your head all with the very first sentence! With Carlin, it's never what you'd expect! :thumbsup:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

31 Jan 2011 06:24 #59 by RivendaleFarms
I'm reading In the Shadow of the Buddha by Matteo Pistono. It's been pretty amazing so far. He's going to be at The Tattered Cover in LoDo this Thursday night so we're going to see him. Here's the link if anyone wants to read more about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Buddha-Histories-Spiritual-Discovery/dp/0525951199/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1296479758&sr=1-1

Recently finished up:
Mike Dooley's Manifesting Change, really love his style and use of language.
The Lace Makers of Glenmara by Heather Barbieri, it was fun fiction and light.

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

31 Jan 2011 09:57 #60 by Local_Historian
Just finished "American Morons" by Glen Hirshberg. It's a book of horror stories, not a politcal book.

Also recently finished "After the Falls" by Catherine Gildiner, about growing up in the 60s in upstate NY. Interesting autobio.

About to start "American Freak Show" by Willie Geist which is about tabloid newspapers and magazines.

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds