What Are You Reading Right Now?

23 Jun 2010 14:20 #41 by ComputerBreath
I read every single night for at least 15 minutes, sometimes a couple hours before I shut my lights off and go (or try to go) to sleep. Because of this, a lot of what I read doesn't "stay" with me. However, 2 or 3 years ago, I bought a book for my children called "A Vulgar Display of Power: Courage and Carnage at the Alrosa Villa" by Chris Arnold.

I started to read it because I was bored and I couldn't put it down. I am not now nor have I ever been a fan of thrash-metal or death metal nor of Dimebag Darrell's type of music...to me it is just screaming and noise. I was however, aware that he had been shot and killed while playing a gig in 2004 as my oldest son was very upset when this happened. I did not know that he was murdered the same day as John Lennon was. Nor did I realize that 3 other people and the gunman were killed that night.

Anyways, the book is mesmerizing. The author doesn't just write about the murder. He goes into the background of all 4 of the people that were shot and killed that night as well as into the background of the killer, who was also shot and killed that night. The detail is amazing. He definately did his research and should be commended for a well-written, well-researched book. It gives great food for thought into the human mind and made me say, more than one: There but for the grace of God, go I.

The first part of Chapter 1 tells about the night John Lennon was murdered, and I was hooked.

Beware...this book is NOT for the squeamish or faint of heart.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jun 2010 14:56 #42 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic What Are You Reading Right Now?

Joe wrote: Shanna the she-devil looks interesting TPP. Does it have more pictures inside?

Yes, It's a comic series, I collect them.
Another Thread was talking about movies, you'd be surprised how many movies started life as comic books, besides the super hero ones, "Wanted", "Road to Perdition”, “Legion” (or is it I am Legend)…

23 Jun 2010 15:35 #43 by PrintSmith
A Magnificent Catastrophe: The Tumultuous Election of 1800, America's First Presidential Campaign by Edward J Larson

The Writings of Thomas Jefferson Vol 1 (of 9).

09 Jul 2010 15:50 #44 by bailey bud
Just finished E.L. Doctorow's City of God --- and am feeling downright confused......

09 Jul 2010 16:57 #45 by ScienceChic
bb - Did you finish the Whole Earth Manifesto? If so, how was it?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Jul 2010 17:36 #46 by bailey bud
Still scratching my head about Stewart Brand, SC. It was good, but counter-intuitive ---- but I can see what he's saying. I do think all the acid he dropped in the 60s (legally, by the way) changed the way he thinks. I think he's a bit on the edge, although I'm not persuaded that he's wrong.

I can see where one might conclude that nuclear energy is actually green (my former home - Abu Dhabi concluded the same thing). I can see where cities might be good.

I simply can't swallow the thought of genetic engineering being good. I'm way too suspicious of "chemical" and "engineered" nutrition --- and generally refuse anything other than raw food, these days.

Cheers.

09 Jul 2010 19:43 #47 by Wayne Harrison
Moon Shot: The Inside Story of America's Race to the Moon by Alan Shepard and Deke Slayton

09 Jul 2010 19:50 #48 by chocolove
285bound, facebook and 285boundchat! oh and VB courses. But right now, just the first 3! :)

10 Jul 2010 12:11 #49 by ScienceChic

bailey bud wrote: Still scratching my head about Stewart Brand, SC. It was good, but counter-intuitive ---- but I can see what he's saying. I do think all the acid he dropped in the 60s (legally, by the way) changed the way he thinks. I think he's a bit on the edge, although I'm not persuaded that he's wrong.

I can see where one might conclude that nuclear energy is actually green (my former home - Abu Dhabi concluded the same thing). I can see where cities might be good.

I simply can't swallow the thought of genetic engineering being good. I'm way too suspicious of "chemical" and "engineered" nutrition --- and generally refuse anything other than raw food, these days.

Cheers.

As a former geneticist/molecular biologist I have to say that I'm mostly with you there on the genetic engineering. It does have the potential to do what's hoped for it (increased food production, less use of pesticides, producing drugs for cheaper and in greater quantities by using unconventional sources like coding it into sheep milk producing cells, etc); however, there are many variables that must be controlled for and oversight that must be vigorously maintained in order to ensure safety for consumers and lack of environmental harm. Where the transgenes are inserted into the host genome must be carefully selected - it must not in any affect host gene function, regulation, or protein production. The entire genome should be sequenced and analyzed once the transgene is inserted in order to confirm this, and subsequent generations of whatever plant or animal that the transgene is inserted into must be re-sequenced and analyzed to ensure that the transgene doesn't "jump". The vectors used to insert the transgene must be carefully selected and monitored (they are usually stripped down versions of retroviruses or adenoviruses as those are effective at inserting into host DNA) - not because they themselves can cause disease once stripped of their nastier properties, but because they do retain the potential to "jump" their gene after it's been inserted where it was intended to go. Then, once you have the transgenic plant or animal made and it's growing, the transgene product production must be monitored for safety for us and the environment. For example, pesticide resistance can be conferred by making the plant produce a protein that renders the pesticide ineffective - but what's the result of us ingesting said protein when we eat that plant? Are there safe amounts that we can intake or would it slowly contribute to something like cancer? Multiple year, large participant double-blind, placebo controlled studies would need to be conducted to determine if diet including GMO's vs. non-GMO's raises risks of disease. I do not at this time, nor in the near future, see policies as such being implemented and followed - only corporate greed and lax regulations. For those reasons, I do not support GMO's at this time. But if more careful analyses and studies following people were to be instituted, then I would be on-board. The need for greater food production is not critical at this time, we would do better to more efficiently and effectively grow what we do in the regions best suited, and not waste what extra we do have.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Jul 2010 18:06 #50 by BaconLover
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson.

Great trilogy. I wish my wife would get The Gril With the Drago Tattoo finsihed so we could watch the movie :-)

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds