The only thing that sucks about living in the mountains!

24 Jul 2011 22:26 - 25 Jul 2011 14:55 #1 by blueoasis
So this is my first post and it kinda sucks. Hit a 4 point buck on Wednsday morning on 285 going north just before the exit to hwy 8 torwards Morrison. It was at 5:00 a.m. and just starting to get light out. I was doing 60 Mph and the posted limit is 65 mph when I saw the deer after it jumped over the concrete median barrier and had absolutely no time to react. All I saw was just a flash of brown in my windshield. The police officer said the deer was in the air for about 100 feet before hitting the ground, it died instantly...poor deer. Never been so freaked out in my life!!! The car behind me about 300 yards must have saw what happened and didn't even stop to see if I was o.k.!!! maybe they were running late for work WTF! The deer actually flew over the top of the car and didn't even hit the windshield, it just hit the hood of the car. I didn't even get a scratch but the car needs some work, I feel soooooooo.... lucky. It can happen anywhere up here so keep your eyes peeled and drive safely! Jeff
http://imageplay.net/view/m7Gbd215057/P1010095
http://imageplay.net/view/m7Gbd215056/P1010096
http://imageplay.net/view/m7Gbd215055/P1010098
http://imageplay.net/view/m7Gbd215054/P1010101

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jul 2011 22:36 #2 by otisptoadwater
Glad to hear you came out unscathed! The possibility that things might have been worse for you are very high. I can't help you with the car parts and repairs but I do wish you well and hope that you continue to have better luck on the roads. Take care and I look forward to your posts!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

24 Jul 2011 22:43 #3 by Sunshine Girl

blueoasis wrote: So this is my first post and it kinda sucks. Hit a 4 point buck on Wednsday morning on 285 going north just before the exit to hwy 8 torwards Morrison. It was at 5:00 a.m. and just starting to get light out. I was doing 60 Mph and the posted limit is 65 mph when I saw the deer after it jumped over the concrete mediun barrier and had absolutely no time to react. All I saw was just a flash of brown in my windshield. The police officer said the deer was in the air for about 100 feet before hitting the ground, it died instantly...poor deer. Never been so freaked out in my life!!! The car behind me about 300 yards must have saw what happened and didn't even stop to see if I was o.k.!!! maybe they were running late for work WTF! The deer actually flew over the top of the car and didn't even hit the windshield, it just hit the hood of the car. I didn't even get a scratch but the car needs some work, I feel soooooooo.... lucky. Having a hard time finding a hood, any help would be greatly appreciated. 2000 VW Cabrio GLS. It can happen anywhere up here so keep your eyes peeled and drive safely! Not sure if I am posting pics of car the right way, can u see them? If not I will repost pics when I figure it out. Jeff
http://imageplay.net/view/m7Gbd215057/P1010095
http://imageplay.net/view/m7Gbd215056/P1010096
http://imageplay.net/view/m7Gbd215055/P1010098
http://imageplay.net/view/m7Gbd215054/P1010101

First of all, welcome blueoasis (love that name!)/Jeff. Second of all, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened. RIP poor deer. Unfortunately it happens and most people can't do anything to avoid it. It is one of my biggest fears driving 285 because if it happens to me I will be devastated and cry. Your lucky your hood is the only thing really damaged (besides the deer of course) and thankfully you're ok. I can't believe that person did not stop! I saw your pics and man, your hood is really messed up. Maybe Craigslist for a hood or a salvage yard. Again, welcome to 285 Bound and hope to see more of you around here.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

24 Jul 2011 22:49 #4 by archer
If you have insurance, hitting wildlife in colorado is considered under comprehensive not collision. They may be able to help you find a hood and cover most of the cost. Claims under comprehensive do not normally raise your rates.

Glad you were not hurt, for sure it could have been a lot worse.

24 Jul 2011 23:16 #5 by CinnamonGirl
Hi Blueoasis! I cannot believe the damage caused! I would be very freaked out if that happened to me. Thanks for the pics, I hope it doesn't cost you too much to fix. I am kind of wondering how many others have hit deer/elk up there?

24 Jul 2011 23:20 #6 by The Viking
Yes, Welcome blueoasis! Glad to have you here. Sorry this had to be your first post but as others have said, we are glad that you are OK. You must have not panicked and swerved after it hit you. A car can be fixed a lot easier that your health. Good for you for keeping it on the road. I have hit 3 deer in my life and you never expect it. Look forward to seeing more posts from you on more enjoyable topics.

25 Jul 2011 01:14 #7 by AlpineMike
I just returned from over a three hour drive, strictly on mountain roads, and this post related to my concerns tonight for driving home.
It is great to hear that you did not become injured.
It is really hard to see the wildlife since they typically are more active during the night and early morning. I use my high beams whenever possible and it helps in ways. Driving slower may decrease the chances of an impact with wildlife.
I will admit I was slightly nervous going over 55 and 60 mph due to the risk of having a deer or elk becoming a windshield wiper.

As for myself, the only thing that sucks about living in the mountains is having to leave the mountains. :wink:

25 Jul 2011 01:55 #8 by Rockdoc

AlpineMike wrote: I just returned from over a three hour drive, strictly on mountain roads, and this post related to my concerns tonight for driving home.
It is great to hear that you did not become injured.
It is really hard to see the wildlife since they typically are more active during the night and early morning. I use my high beams whenever possible and it helps in ways. Driving slower may decrease the chances of an impact with wildlife.
I will admit I was slightly nervous going over 55 and 60 mph due to the risk of having a deer or elk becoming a windshield wiper.

As for myself, the only thing that sucks about living in the mountains is having to leave the mountains. :wink:

:yeahthat: The good thing is that every time you need to leave, you have coming back to look forward to. It's most unfortunate to have such a unexpected and undesirable welcome to mountain living. Glad you are OK.

25 Jul 2011 02:43 #9 by ScienceChic
I'm glad you are alright too. I've hit 2 deer in my life driving 285 and each time still lives vividly in my memory. Good luck finding a hood for replacement - my hubby pounded out the dent in the bumper the first time, the 2nd one required more work.

Hey - your posts are only going to be happier, right?! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

25 Jul 2011 08:37 #10 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic The only thing that sucks about living in the mountains!
Friends..When you see that brown flash..Duck down imeadiatly. Most people that die in deer/elk collisions die when the roof of the car smashes into thier heads, or when they roll over trying to aviod the collision. I always told my kids to just duck and plow right into it..

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds