The only thing that sucks about living in the mountains!

25 Jul 2011 08:41 #11 by Martin Ent Inc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jul 2011 10:15 #12 by Grady

Vice Lord wrote: Friends..When you see that brown flash..Duck down imeadiatly. Most people that die in deer/elk collisions die when the roof of the car smashes into thier heads, or when they roll over trying to aviod the collision. I always told my kids to just duck and plow right into it..

I have to agree. Except to add I think it's more likely the critter will enter through the windshield rather than crushing the top. Rollovers from trying to aviod the soon to be dead critter are a major concern.

25 Jul 2011 11:20 #13 by The 500 Foundation
did you get ticketed?

in february a dear friend hit one on that same stretch and Jeffco Sheriff
handed him a careless driving resulting in accident ticket.

when questioned the officer said
"it's not like it was the deer's fault"

25 Jul 2011 14:45 #14 by blueoasis
No, I didn't receive a ticket, I can't believe your friend got one that's just plain crazy!
As for the meat, the officer told me I could have it but I said I don't think I could eat something that I ran over with my car. :Sick: He let the tow truck driver have it.
I did manage to find a hood today so that's good.
Anybody have any of those deer sensors on your vehicle and do they really work? I've lived in Bailey for 2 years and have had other close calls so I'm definately thinking of buying some.

:Thanks: to everyone for the kind thoughts! :thumbsup:

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

25 Jul 2011 16:48 #15 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic The only thing that sucks about living in the mountains!

blueoasis wrote: No, I didn't receive a ticket, I can't believe your friend got one that's just plain crazy!
As for the meat, the officer told me I could have it but I said I don't think I could eat something that I ran over with my car. :Sick: He let the tow truck driver have it.
I did manage to find a hood today so that's good.
Anybody have any of those deer sensors on your vehicle and do they really work? I've lived in Bailey for 2 years and have had other close calls so I'm definately thinking of buying some.

:Thanks: to everyone for the kind thoughts! :thumbsup:

What you shoulda done is just cut the back straps off on the spot...Thats the tenderlions that run up and down the spine. You'd probably have got about 13 small hockey puck size fillets and a couple of tips..Then let the tow truck driver take the rest.

Big mistake Blue- Those tenderlions are worth $

25 Jul 2011 16:52 #16 by HEARTLESS
No, big mistake VL. There are tenderloins and back straps, both are excellent.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

25 Jul 2011 17:02 #17 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic The only thing that sucks about living in the mountains!

HEARTLESS wrote: No, big mistake VL. There are tenderloins and back straps, both are excellent.

I was wondering if you could cut them out of a live deer or elk, treat the wounds and let it live for re harvesting the next year? I only eat the best cuts anyway. No need to kill the entire animal.

25 Jul 2011 17:04 #18 by UNDER MODERATION

HEARTLESS wrote: No, big mistake VL. There are tenderloins and back straps, both are excellent.

He shoulda got the heart too..He coulda put it in the fridge at work until he got off- Just wrap it up nice so it doesn't drip on everbody elses lunches

Missed oppurtunity

25 Jul 2011 17:17 #19 by HEARTLESS
VL wrote,I was wondering if you could cut them out of a live deer or elk, treat the wounds and let it live for re harvesting the next year? I only eat the best cuts anyway. No need to kill the entire animal.[/quote]
VL, this after the you want people to take you more seriously statement?

The silent majority will be silent no more.

25 Jul 2011 17:33 #20 by Martin Ent Inc
Obviously VL has never butchered a deer. Backstraps are on the BACk just under the skin running along the spine from neck to hind. Tenderloins are UNDERNEATH the back bone on the ribcage.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds