Park County rescuers search for missing hiker

23 Aug 2011 15:44 #21 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Park County rescuers search for missing hiker
Thank you to [url=http://www.thedenverchannel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.thedenverchannel.com[/url]

August 23rd, 2011

On August 20th, 2011 at 15:15 hours Park County Search and Rescue located a body in the Lost Park Wilderness area. Due to the location of the body, removal was not possible. Plans were made to remove the body the following day. The Park County Sheriff’s Office is 99.9% sure that this is the body of Frank Stanley.

On August 21st crews from Douglas County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue and Park County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue attempted to gain access by horseback. One rescuer was injured and one horse had to be put down.

On Monday after talks with Search and Rescue, the Coroner and other experts in the field of body recovery, it was determined that this was going to be an extremely dangerous extraction.

Sheriff Wegener has made the decision to cease recovery efforts. The Sheriff’s Office has communicated with the family and has advised them of this along with the US Forest Service.

The Park County Sheriff’s Office would like to thank the family for their support in the decision. The Sheriff’s Office would like to thank all of the Search and Rescue agencies and members that assisted in this mission.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Aug 2011 15:45 #22 by CinnamonGirl

23 Aug 2011 18:26 #23 by CinnamonGirl

AlpineMike wrote:

CinnamonGirl wrote: My heart goes out to the family. As a life long Colorado native I see these stories all year and there are so some many tragedies. I want to remind everyone to take precautions. IMO, it is not safe to hike alone on a major hike and be sure you are prepared for bad weather, and know what you are doing. Looks like a great guy.

So hard to see these stories, that is the only reason I am posting this. I was taught day one, you bring 3 times the supplies you think you need and dress like it is going to be winter. When I used to go for a day trip with the kids in the mountains they would laugh at me because I packed for a week but that is what you do in Colorado mountains, even in the middle of July. Mountains are not the same as Denver and the flatlands. RIP.

Good advice CG. I always find myself having a little extra when I venture out into the wilderness of the Rocky Mountains. I use the old saying "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" especially when packing for the longer hikes. No matter how prepared or unprepared you are, bad things happen. I humble myself to the fact that any one day could be your last. I am truly sorry to learn of the outcome of the situation. I hope that family and friends of Stanley can find comfort in closure with such tragedy. :tulip:

I forgot to add. Tell a family member where you are going, how long you plan to be gone and leave a note in your car. I have seen two this summer where the family didn't even start looking for weeks. Prepare for the worst always!

26 Aug 2011 10:34 #24 by Wayne Harrison
Update: Colorado Cave Rescue is talking to the sheriff about retrieving the body after all. They are specially equipped and suited for an underground retrieval.

26 Aug 2011 11:00 #25 by CC
I am confused. If the body was undeground.......how was it located to begin with?

26 Aug 2011 12:09 #26 by Wayne Harrison
They could see it through a hole in the top. The "cave" is a bunch of house-sized boulders very close together with a stream running through the bottom. Over time, dirt and debris has covered the tops of the boulders, cutting the bottom off from sunlight. Lost Creek falls into this series of fissures and that's how it was named.

It's not a true cave.

27 Aug 2011 22:25 #27 by CinnamonGirl
Body Believed To Be DU Teacher Recovered

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/29 ... etail.html

27 Aug 2011 22:40 #28 by Wayne Harrison
Good work by Colorado Cave Rescue...

28 Aug 2011 05:21 #29 by CC
I am so pleased for the family to be able to gain some closure.
Thanks to Colorado Cave Rescue.
No one should ever be left that way if there is a reasonable way to retrieve them.

28 Aug 2011 19:52 #30 by akilina
Happy for the family if that is what they would like. Looks kind of peaceful where he was.

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds