Park County rescuers search for missing hiker

30 Aug 2011 05:41 #31 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Park County rescuers search for missing hiker
Body recovered in Lost Creek Wilderness

http://www.theflume.com/main.asp?Sectio ... M=3065.435

Very odd that Park County does not know much about who these people were.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Aug 2011 07:23 #32 by twitchy

CinnamonGirl wrote: Body recovered in Lost Creek Wilderness

http://www.theflume.com/main.asp?Sectio ... M=3065.435

Very odd that Park County does not know much about who these people were.

Interesting for sure! Thanks for the update.

The lone rangers, who were those masked men?

30 Aug 2011 08:30 #33 by CC
Thank goodness for those 4 men who were brave enough to do what our SO and local search and rescue could not do.
Who cares what they were paid or who they worked for. They are heroes to me.
That family can now have some closure and have a place to go and grieve the loss of their loved one.
God Bless them.

30 Aug 2011 09:28 #34 by Wayne Harrison
They actually weren't paid. They train to do cave rescues all the time and are volunteers (experienced cavers). Most of the time, the rescued victims are just other injured cavers and you never hear about it.

30 Aug 2011 09:42 #35 by CC
Thx for the info Wayne. I was referring to the Flume article where Kintz insinuated that there was some kind of ulterior motive behind their act of bravery is all.

30 Aug 2011 10:17 #36 by Wayne Harrison

Kintz was able to learn that the team was privately funded, but he wasn't sure who paid for the recovery.

"They were paid well enough to go in there and risk their lives," he said.

First he says the team is privately funded and he has no idea "who paid" then he pops off with that last sentence.

He should have kept his mouth shut when he didn't know.

They were volunteers.

30 Aug 2011 10:30 #37 by Mtn Gramma
Kintz is just pissy because HE didn't get any accolades.

30 Aug 2011 10:40 #38 by Wayne Harrison
He was also wrong in the first article about a body never being recovered from the same cave system in the early 80s. The body of Bruce Unger was recovered weeks later by group of cavers, at the request of the family. Apparently the current coroner didn't know that

I've been on a couple of these "confined space" rescues in Colorado caves and SARS untrained in cave rescue soon learn they are not equipped to handle 12 or 24 or 36 hours underground. On the positive side, more and more of them are participating in Colorado Cave Rescue's training programs.

It's a whole different animal underground. It's not just a rescue in the dark.

30 Aug 2011 11:02 #39 by jf1acai

It's a whole different animal underground.

My 3 short (or long, depending on how you look at it) months working underground at the Climax Mine taught me that! It also taught me that underground is definitely NOT the place for me.

As with other aspects of Emergency Response, I respect and admire those who do this.

:thumbsup:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

30 Aug 2011 20:11 - 30 Aug 2011 20:29 #40 by AlpineMike

jf1acai wrote:

It's a whole different animal underground.

My 3 short (or long, depending on how you look at it) months working underground at the Climax Mine taught me that! It also taught me that underground is definitely NOT the place for me.

As with other aspects of Emergency Response, I respect and admire those who do this.

:thumbsup:

Exactly! I believe I'll be "underground" soon enough with time. :wink: I had temptation to enter when I encountered the cave type system at Lost Creek. I hiked around to check the access on both sides from where I was going to enter. I discovered it was extremely risky for a lone hiker like myself.
I do not know where the body of Mr. Stanley had been found myself, but I know that the area can be very hazardous in places.
A good friend and hiking buddy just told me recently "Never let your guard down....no matter what!" and I hear the words every time I set out. Be careful people, even the little things can overtake your life if you let it.
I love the Lost Creek Wilderness area! I'll be spending four days in the heart of LCW during the end of this week thru the Labor Day weekend! I suspect minimal human encounters where I'm going. I like that! Nope...I LOVE THAT! If I see one hiker...I'll be surprised. :thumbsup: I'll hike for Mr. Frank Stanley! RIP fellow hiker.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds