Park County rescuers search for missing hiker

17 Aug 2011 10:25 #11 by pacamom
Still no update? This is all I could find on the news website.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28 ... etail.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Aug 2011 11:41 #12 by Wayne Harrison
If he went into the Lost Park Wilderness, he could be anywhere. That's where I went backpacking last year. Literally, looking for him is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I hope the deputies are looking at any clues he may have left at home or in the car for where he was going. If he went in there intending not to be found or not to come back, they might never finding him.

17 Aug 2011 20:44 #13 by AlpineMike
I have spent a fair amount of time hiking and backpacking the Lost Creek Wilderness area. Even after all this time of possible exposure, I really hope the outcome will still be positive for Mr. Stanley. There are game trails that may throw some hikers off throughout the wilderness area. Bison Peak and McCurdy Mountain have wonderful rock formations. Some formations can create an undesired path that may throw a hiker off course. It can become difficult to navigate the area without the proper tools, especially if you hike off the established trails. I wish the best for ANY hiker who becomes missing. I pray that Mr. Stanley is alive and rescue efforts are successful.

17 Aug 2011 20:59 #14 by akilina
There are enough people who hike the areas so i was hoping someone would have spotted him by now. Makes me wonder though if he is seriously injured or dead as I would think he would have provided a sign as to where he is, like a fire or an s.o.s.

I hope they find him and that he is just having a solitary, long, enjoyable hike.

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

21 Aug 2011 20:46 #16 by jf1acai

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

21 Aug 2011 21:01 #17 by pacamom
I am sorry to read this. Too sad.

22 Aug 2011 07:18 #18 by Sunshine Girl
:heart: Very sad. He sounded like a wonderful man and teacher. Prayers to everyone he left behind. :heart:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

22 Aug 2011 11:37 #19 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Park County rescuers search for missing hiker
My heart goes out to the family. As a life long Colorado native I see these stories all year and there are so some many tragedies. I want to remind everyone to take precautions. IMO, it is not safe to hike alone on a major hike and be sure you are prepared for bad weather, and know what you are doing. Looks like a great guy.

So hard to see these stories, that is the only reason I am posting this. I was taught day one, you bring 3 times the supplies you think you need and dress like it is going to be winter. When I used to go for a day trip with the kids in the mountains they would laugh at me because I packed for a week but that is what you do in Colorado mountains, even in the middle of July. Mountains are not the same as Denver and the flatlands. RIP.

22 Aug 2011 23:32 #20 by AlpineMike

CinnamonGirl wrote: My heart goes out to the family. As a life long Colorado native I see these stories all year and there are so some many tragedies. I want to remind everyone to take precautions. IMO, it is not safe to hike alone on a major hike and be sure you are prepared for bad weather, and know what you are doing. Looks like a great guy.

So hard to see these stories, that is the only reason I am posting this. I was taught day one, you bring 3 times the supplies you think you need and dress like it is going to be winter. When I used to go for a day trip with the kids in the mountains they would laugh at me because I packed for a week but that is what you do in Colorado mountains, even in the middle of July. Mountains are not the same as Denver and the flatlands. RIP.

Good advice CG. I always find myself having a little extra when I venture out into the wilderness of the Rocky Mountains. I use the old saying "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" especially when packing for the longer hikes. No matter how prepared or unprepared you are, bad things happen. I humble myself to the fact that any one day could be your last. I am truly sorry to learn of the outcome of the situation. I hope that family and friends of Stanley can find comfort in closure with such tragedy. :tulip:

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds