Is this hurricane about to hit New York?

25 Aug 2011 18:06 #11 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Is this hurricane about to hit New York?
Irene losses start to mount as storm aims at NYC

(Reuters) - Hurricane Irene is likely to cause more insured losses in the Bahamas than 1999's devastating Hurricane Floyd, catastrophe modeler AIR Worldwide said on Thursday, even as the storm increasingly tracks toward a weekend landfall in the greater New York City area.(Reuters) - Hurricane Irene is likely to cause more insured losses in the Bahamas than 1999's devastating Hurricane Floyd, catastrophe modeler AIR Worldwide said on Thursday, even as the storm increasingly tracks toward a weekend landfall in the greater New York City area.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/ ... BD20110825

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Aug 2011 18:40 #12 by Mtn Gramma
My granddaughter is flying as an unaccompanied minor to Boston Monday morning . Southwest informed me today that if they're still under a severe weather alert they will not allow her to board the plane. They will let us change her flight at no charge, but there are no nonstop flights available at this time. What a crapshoot!

25 Aug 2011 18:46 #13 by CinnamonGirl
I would change for sure. You don't want her stuck somewhere in a hurricane.

25 Aug 2011 19:39 #14 by Sunshine Girl
We have family there and Franz's brother said people are clearing the shelves of everything!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

25 Aug 2011 19:42 #15 by jf1acai
Per current Hurricane Watch Net projections ( http://hwn.org/stormpulse_atlantic.html ), Irene is now forecast to hit N. Carolina as a Category 2, with winds of 110 MPH, and Maryland as a Category 1, with winds of 85 MPH.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

25 Aug 2011 19:43 #16 by Residenttroll returns
Panic for most Americans....the generational welfare recipients are awaiting for the evacuations to begin their Christmas shopping.

25 Aug 2011 21:22 #17 by CinnamonGirl
South Carolina no longer under hurricane warning; Irene takes aim at North Carolina

25 Aug 2011 21:41 #18 by jf1acai
Posted by MusherCubby - many of you know him...

I work with some of the national animal response organizations, and I know some of them are already moving into position.

But from a Federal perspective, I think there are two problems: First, we are dealing with a huge geographical area that is potentially impacted. Originally it looked like as far south as Florida, but now we're basically looking at the Carolinas to New England. But no one knows where landfall will be nor where the worst impact will be. So, where would you preposition? Second, at this point the time is very, very short...we're looking at the first landfall possibly within the next 48 hours. Not much time to move.

All the principles of Emergency Management, including the National Response Plan, rely on a tiered approach to emergency/disaster response, with the initial response being carried out by local and state agencies. Given the challenges noted above, that makes a lot of sense. FEMA can't be everywhere, the best we can hope for is for them to fill in the gaps when state resources are overwhelmed.

We ARE looking at a potential situation where the FEMA "command and control" organization in and around DC could be in the area of significant impact, which could be a compounding factor. That was one of the major problems with Katrina...the disconnect between local/state/federal response, with the local response machinery being almost wiped off the map, and the states (especially Louisiana) in disarray

Source

I think this thread, posted from an Emergency Responder viewpoint, is a good read

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

25 Aug 2011 22:12 #19 by CinnamonGirl
I saw one model that has it moving a bit more east that seems to be the only thing they can hope for. This looks like an unprecedented storm. Katrina was too. I remember thinking once what would happen if New York got hit with a hurricane.

25 Aug 2011 22:43 #20 by otisptoadwater
Predictions are just that, well educated guesses at where the storm will go. IMHO, any guess that is 72 hours out is just that, a guess. The only advice I can offer to those in the potential path of the storm is to pack up your vital stuff (bug out kit) and get you and yours inland until the storm passes.

I got stuck in the Orlando airport for four days during and after Charlie, no one predicted that the storm was going anywhere near Orlando but it did and right through the middle of the airport. It wasn't a fun time but it was an opportunity for me to help others and I have to admit I enjoyed most of that experience. The aftermath of the storm was terrible for the people living in Orlando and the damage was extensive but not like the damage people suffered from storms like Andrew and Katrina.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds