Is this hurricane about to hit New York?

26 Aug 2011 19:54 #31 by ScienceChic
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44285405/ns ... lhN2zuRBhE
2.5 million people ordered out as Irene nears
Landfall forecast issued; NYC, Long Island evacuations add to traffic jams, gas shortages

Top developments:

Landfall expected around 9 a.m. ET at near Cape Lookout on N.C.'s Outer Banks
2.5 million under evacuation orders; 550,000 are in NYC, Long Island
NYC, N.J., Philadelphia to suspend mass transit service during part of weekend
Hard rain falls on North Carolina's Outer Banks
Irene could weaken to Category 1 storm by Saturday, but still dangerous

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Aug 2011 20:00 #32 by jf1acai
I'm wondering how those in NYC without vehicles are supposed to evacuate, with mass transportation shut down at noon tomorrow.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

26 Aug 2011 20:03 #33 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Is this hurricane about to hit New York?

jf1acai wrote: I'm wondering how those in NYC without vehicles are supposed to evacuate, with mass transportation shut down at noon tomorrow.

Does anyone really think they need to evacuate? Jeez Jfecal...Don't believe the media hype..45 mile an hour winds are a daily ocurance up here...

26 Aug 2011 20:06 #34 by archer
I would suggest that those who need to evacuate do so before noon tomorrow. There are also places away from the shore they can go for shelter. You can walk across Manhattin.__

26 Aug 2011 20:08 #35 by jf1acai
They may have a lot more wind than that, but the moisture in various forms may be a bit more significant, I think, and way more than we get around here.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

26 Aug 2011 20:09 #36 by archer
Its not the winds they are so concerned about...even as a cat 1 or a tropical storm Irene is so huge it is packing a lot of moisture and pushing a possible storm surge that could flood large portions of NYC.

26 Aug 2011 20:10 #37 by ScienceChic

jf1acai wrote: I'm wondering how those in NYC without vehicles are supposed to evacuate, with mass transportation shut down at noon tomorrow.

You aren't the first one to wonder...

www.alternet.org/story/152184/as_hurrica..._hurricane_katrina_/
As Hurricane Irene Approaches Land, What Lessons Have We Forgotten From Hurricane Katrina?
Hurricane Katrina hit nearly 6 years ago. As the Northeast readies for a major storm, who's being left out of the disaster preparation?
August 26, 2011

But now it's six years on and I live in another big city with a population that doesn't have cars ( 55 percent of New Yorkers, as opposed to 27 percent of New Orleanians ). Evacuation isn't easy even if our billionaire mayor declares it mandatory, and with a citywide shutdown in public transit, New York will grind to a halt.

New Orleans, Palast reported, had no such plan before Katrina. “Long after 2,000 drowned, I found the "plan": no provision at all for the 27,000 residents without cars. That's not surprising: the hurricane evacuation contractor had zero experience in hurricane evacuation.

Mayor Bloomberg wants New Yorkers to know this is serious—so his office has taken to tweeting admonishments to citizens like “If you are in Zone A, prepare to evacuate asap. But in all the press announcements of mandatory evacuation, nowhere were there instructions on how to evacuate without transport. The city's evacuation brochure lists helpful things like what you should pack, but not how you should get there. FEMA may have learned something from Katrina at least, tweeting “#Hurricane #Irene: Text SHELTER + ZIP code to 43362 (4FEMA) to find nearest shelter in ur area (example: shelter 12345).”

Nona Willis Aronowitz makes the point, though, that:
“. . . in a place like New York, where hurricanes happen approximately never, your safety depends on your access to information. People in North Carolina, Louisiana, and Florida know to keep their ears to the ground, but how do you get the word out in a place where the last serious hurricane happened in 1938? I live in a pretty low-income building in a low-income area, and I'm willing to bet that many of my neighbors don't have Internet access. If they choose not to turn on the news that day, they might be **** out of luck when their power goes off.”

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Aug 2011 20:30 #38 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Is this hurricane about to hit New York?
5 NYC-area airports to close to arriving flights

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/ ... 8143.shtml

26 Aug 2011 20:37 #39 by CinnamonGirl
I just get this feeling that they are not preparing fast enough.

26 Aug 2011 20:39 #40 by CinnamonGirl
A map of NYC hurricane evac zones. Warning it is a PDF file.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/downloads/p ... nglish.pdf

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds