How many languages can you speak?

26 Jun 2010 10:23 #21 by pepperfan451
I love Latin, it will always be my favorite. I would love to learn Italian but know taking Spanish would be more practicle. My oldest has access to all of the Rosetta Stone languages through DU so we are planning on using that like crazy. Hopefully by the time he graduates we will all be hyperpolyglots.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Jun 2010 10:28 #22 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic How many languages can you speak?
Hey Pepperfan, My son goes to DU also and I have also looked at learning Spanish with Rosetta Stone.

My son also took Latin in high school. But switched to japanese at DU.

27 Jun 2010 09:54 #23 by pepperfan451
Oh how nice to meet someone who has a student at DU. My son will be a freshman this fall. I love that they have access to all those languages. My son would like to learn quite a few languages and it looks like DU has quite a few resources to do so. How long has your son been at DU and does he love it?

27 Jun 2010 09:58 #24 by CinnamonGirl
This will be his senior year. And looks like he may go for his masters and maybe a double major. And yes. Very good school. He feels the quality of education is the best. He does not live in the dorm so can't tell you too much about that. The class size makes things great. But he works really hard, it is not a piece of cake. Very cool to meet another DU parent.

27 Jun 2010 10:03 #25 by Sunshine Girl
You both sound like you have amazing kiddos. Here is a link to a foreign language website that many have said they prefer over Rosetta Stone. And it's free! Pretty cool site. http://www.livemocha.com/

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

28 Jun 2010 09:06 #26 by ComputerBreath
I speak baby Turkish and Italian...though in both cases it has been over 10 years since I was immersed in their culture, so I've probably lost a lot of what I learned.

29 Jun 2010 19:00 #27 by pepperfan451
CG, my son won't be staying in the dorms either, he is only 16. I'm so darn glad someone else had a DU student up here who makes that commute. Since he is only 16 I will be doing the majority of the driving, which should make my schedule interesting in the fall. My son is very interested in completing a double major. He is entering with quite a few college credits so we won't really know where he stands until September. Do you and your son feel the campus is safe?

29 Jun 2010 19:08 #28 by CinnamonGirl
Yes, he feels safe. The security is very on top of things and the class sized help too. He got quite a few credits also as an international baccalaureate graduate. He usually takes the light rail down here. They give that to all the students free. It is an experience but so far the people there are great.

29 Jun 2010 23:37 #29 by Abner
Dose this count as a language: :VeryScared:

k, ppl if ur over 30 thats soif i khyf when u rys from ur kids emsg ur like wtf i dk what im reading b/c its all jibberish then u say enuf this is 2m2h has e1 gone ntz xlnt kids do this b/c omg what if thiers a mos myob mom what are u the 5o well moms w8 4 l8r and jfgi the 411 is onl btw 4 ne1 who has kids u may wn2 learn this language evn if its jff - l8r!

Translation:

[Okay], [people] if [you're] over 30 that's [so old its funny]. I [know how you feel] when [you] [read your screen] from [your] kids [e-mail message]. [You're] like "[What the freak], I [don't know] what I'm reading" [because] it's all gibberish! Then [you] say "[enough]! This is [too much to handle], has [everyone] gone [nutts]".

"[Excellent]" kids do this [because], [oh my god], what if there's a [mom over shoulder]...[mind your own business] mom, what are [you] the [police]! Well mom's, [wait] [for] [later] and [just freaking google it]. (The [information] is [online].) [By the way] [for] [anyone] who has kids, [you] may [want to] learn this language, [even] if it's [just for fun]

[Later]!

30 Jun 2010 06:13 #30 by CC
DU is an outstanding college. Our daughter in law graduated from there a few years ago. Congrats to your incredibly motivated high achieving youngsters.
That is impressive. KC was also very young when she attended. She did not stay in the dorm but did share a small apartment with another student close to the campus. She always felt safe there.

Time to create page: 0.241 seconds