No jail time for 99-year-old that caused deadly crash

09 Sep 2011 22:38 #1 by jf1acai

JEFFERSON COUNTY - One year shy of her 100th birthday, Vera Carucci learned on Friday that she will have to serve two years of supervised probation for causing a crash that led to the death of a father of two from Bailey.

"I hope this tragedy will not end in more tragedies," Carucci said shortly before Judge Thomas Vance sentenced her.

While the judge had the option of sentencing Carucci to up to one year in jail, even the prosecutors believed that wouldn't have been appropriate considering the circumstances. The judge did order that Carucci not drive during the course of the two years of probation.

Joe Bixler was killed on Aug. 30, 2010, while headed north on U.S. 285 at Goddard Ranch Court. The one-time Navy SEAL was on a motorcycle when he was hit by Carucci. Carucci had just rented a Kia Rio from a nearby Enterprise Rent-A-Car and was attempting to make a left turn from Goddard Ranch onto the southbound lanes of U.S. 285 when the accident happened.

Full article

While I can see both sides here, I don't think it would gain anything for her to have to spend time in jail.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Sep 2011 23:13 #2 by chickaree
Nor I. I can't imagine the agony one must feel if careless actions cost another their life.

09 Sep 2011 23:29 #3 by archer
It's stories like this one, and some others around the nation, that finally convinced my mom to give up her drivers license at 93.....It's not that she isn't alert.....she is, or capable of driving.....she is....it's that, like anyone that age, her peripheral vision is going, her reflexes are not that fast, and today's traffic goes a whole lot faster than she does. My brother and I tried for years to get her to stop driving, then I finally sat down with her, with stories like this and asked her...."how will you feel if you hurt someone, if it's a child, or a parent" can you live with that guilt? She sold her car.....and now takes a taxi or a senior bus. I know she misses the freedom of driving, going where you want when you want.....but I feel so much better with her off the road. There comes a time when each of us will have to admit we just aren't as capable as we once were. hard times, and hard decisions.

10 Sep 2011 02:03 #4 by Rockdoc

archer wrote: It's stories like this one, and some others around the nation, that finally convinced my mom to give up her drivers license at 93.....It's not that she isn't alert.....she is, or capable of driving.....she is....it's that, like anyone that age, her peripheral vision is going, her reflexes are not that fast, and today's traffic goes a whole lot faster than she does. My brother and I tried for years to get her to stop driving, then I finally sat down with her, with stories like this and asked her...."how will you feel if you hurt someone, if it's a child, or a parent" can you live with that guilt? She sold her car.....and now takes a taxi or a senior bus. I know she misses the freedom of driving, going where you want when you want.....but I feel so much better with her off the road. There comes a time when each of us will have to admit we just aren't as capable as we once were. hard times, and hard decisions.

It is difficult to give up independence. Yet. as you pointed out, there comes a time when alternatives need to be considered.

The poor gal who killed the former Navy seal will live with enough guilt for a lifetime. Jail will not change that. Having her driving suspended for a while may be enough anyway. Who know how much longer she has to live.

Many of us are reaching an age where we too will soon have to face the decision of giving up some of our freedom. I'm hoping life continues to treat me kindly and that I can hear and accept when others tell me it's time for me to give up my driving privilege. Whenever that will be, I only hope I'm physically capable f walking or riding a bike to keep some form of independence, something so precious to seniors.

10 Sep 2011 08:24 #5 by CC
I would have a bit more sympathy for this woman if she has acknowledged that she had caused the death of another human but in a previous article....she said that the accident was actually his fault and not hers. I assume she has no remorse if she does not believe that she caused his death.

10 Sep 2011 08:46 #6 by CC
http://www.theflume.com/main.asp?Search ... onID=1&S=1

When asked if she felt she was at fault in the accident, Carucci said she did not think so. She felt she had waited a long time, as long as 15 or 20 minutes, for an opportunity to cross the road. She said she never saw Bixler, because he was behind the vehicles that she could see, and she considered them far enough away that she could cross.

Carucci felt that the jury made a mistake in convicting her. She also feels there were members of the jury that probably had an influence on other members.

Forgiveness

Katy Bixler said it's been very difficult for her to forgive Carucci. She feels Carucci hasn't shown any remorse or accountability for her mistake.

10 Sep 2011 09:18 #7 by Rockdoc

Becky wrote: www.theflume.com/main.asp?Search=1&Artic...1&SubSectionID=1&S=1

When asked if she felt she was at fault in the accident, Carucci said she did not think so. She felt she had waited a long time, as long as 15 or 20 minutes, for an opportunity to cross the road. She said she never saw Bixler, because he was behind the vehicles that she could see, and she considered them far enough away that she could cross.

Carucci felt that the jury made a mistake in convicting her. She also feels there were members of the jury that probably had an influence on other members.

Forgiveness

Katy Bixler said it's been very difficult for her to forgive Carucci. She feels Carucci hasn't shown any remorse or accountability for her mistake.

I stand corrected about the gilt she may feel.

10 Sep 2011 21:14 #8 by akilina
I know them all. Vera a very caring person. A mistake made and remorse, none of it portrayed by the Flume. Sadness for the Bixler's, such a huge loss. RIP Joe

IN NOVEMBER 2014, WE HAVE A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY TO CLEAN OUT THE ENTIRE HOUSE AND ONE-THIRD OF THE SENATE! DONT BLOW IT!

“When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex. Only whit man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.” Indian Chief Two Eagles

10 Sep 2011 21:27 #9 by CC
So.....are you saying that the Flume did not report what she said?
Seems the questions and answers were pretty straight forward.

10 Sep 2011 22:00 #10 by chickaree
I do know that you are advised not to express guilt when charged with a crime. You would have to be a sociopath not to be devastated even if you weren't at fault.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds