100 things you don't know about living in the mountains...

01 Jul 2010 07:39 #21 by pacamom
After a really good rain that soaks everything. Go smell a Ponderosa Pine. They smell like vanilla.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jul 2010 08:01 #22 by CC

After a warm day in the summer the cool evening air sifts down through the trees and concentrates the sweet smell of the tree sap, wafting it around you as you sit on the deck at dusk. Most wonderful smell in the world.

You summed up living up here perfectly

01 Jul 2010 08:58 #23 by Wayne Harrison

pacamom wrote: After a really good rain that soaks everything. Go smell a Ponderosa Pine. They smell like vanilla.

There's some sort of Spruce on the trial to a cave that we take people to.. When you pull a little piece of bark off and smell the trunk it smells exactly like butterscotch.

Looking that up on the Internets I found that Ponderosa Pines can mimic the smell of butterscotch.

01 Jul 2010 10:31 #24 by krispy

LopingAlong wrote: Your cats and dogs won't have fleas up here... I love that!

This isn't entirely true. Our dog had fleas one year. Yuck! I think she got them from the fox.

01 Jul 2010 11:12 #25 by LopingAlong
Yeah, kripspy, but they don't last! I really do love that. Mine got fleas for about a day once, but they didn't stay. Not sure why that is.

01 Jul 2010 11:30 #26 by Local_Historian
Ticks WILL come in your house, and you will find them in the oddest place - the bathroom. Usually after it rains.

Deer may be cute, but they are NOT friendly. They will not hesitate to stomp you or your dogs if you upset them or threaten their babies.

Animals make noises - all kinds of them. learn what sounds goes with what animal - it could save your life.

Learn what the poisonous plants look like, really. Please.

01 Jul 2010 19:47 #27 by Lonewolf Field Services HVAC
Lightening does strike twice in the same spot, trust me on that. Colorado ranks 2nd only to Florida for the most lightening strikes per year, and the front range gets the majority of those strikes. You need good lightening rated surge protectors on all fine electronic equipment, IE: computers, TV's, Stereo's, etc.

01 Jul 2010 23:42 #28 by CC
bootlegger....that is one sweet car in your avatar.... carry on!

02 Jul 2010 05:04 #29 by TPP

pacamom wrote: After a really good rain that soaks everything. Go smell a Ponderosa Pine. They smell like vanilla.

Or butterscotch depends on the person.
Don't need rain, just scrape bark.

02 Jul 2010 05:08 #30 by TPP
Sorry Wayne, didn't read the whole thread before posting.

REAL MILK/EGGS are THE BEST!

The teeth marks on Aspen trees, are ok, don't worry.

Ask around, and becareful of a family (that helped found these mountains), that think they still own them, and will take advantage of newbies, at they're garage. And others that DONOT water they're gas anymore, because they're under new ownership.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds