100 things you don't know about living in the mountains...

26 Oct 2019 09:49 #41 by FredHayek

Abner wrote:

Warning, when you see the words "snow" and "up-slope" in the same sentence..... stock up on the beer (oh and food too)!

:frienddrink:

Spot on gov'

After an Upslope, beer runs out. But food...there is always something in the back of the pantry you haven't seen in years thats still edible.
(SPAM Spread comes to mind: http://www.spam.com/products/spamspread.aspx )

OH, and no matter how many acres you have, you'll still hear the local dogs barking :dog: .

Not for me, unless campers are nearby. Do hear the coyotes yipping. My wimpy dogs act like Sgt. Schultz, "I hear nothing."

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Oct 2019 15:51 #42 by homeagain
ALWAYS buy a house with the driveway facing south or west...passive solar heat saves your
back. OH, and you know those drop dead gorgeous views with the house on a mt top? The
flip side of that view is a driveway from hell in the winter time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FredHayek

27 Oct 2019 13:14 #43 by homeagain
IF someone is talking about the 'LUGE'...... that is part of the canyon drive of 285.....it is notorious
for some nasty accidents and stupid stunts, like "I have a SUV, I can drive as fast as I want
because I have 4 wheel drive."

28 Oct 2019 10:12 #44 by homeagain
IF you haven't driven in snow for awhile.....go VERY SLOW,but never stop,that will ensure you
will NOT get traction to start back up....then you will hold up massive amounts of motorists who
will have to negotiate around you.....putting themselves in more danger. PULL OVER TO LET OTHERS go ahead is the mountain thing to do. And you know that CALIF. thing that is standard?
Be on someones ass.....is dangerous, SPACE is needed, for a defensive area around your car.
AGAIN, snow is a wondrous thing.....just KNOW how to drive the mountain, if you are going to
live up there.:grouphug:

03 Nov 2019 07:57 #45 by homeagain
If you don't mind driving a bit more, Bailey is the ''Banana Belt" in the area.....Conifer is known
for more snow and FOG....Bailey is more rural, more cantankerous and MORE Independent
minded.....BUT low taxes mean low/to NO services......sso-o don't expect great municipal serv.

03 Nov 2019 15:50 #46 by homeagain
DO NOT feed the deer......DOW frowns on:( tame deer.....they are wild,respect nature.

04 Nov 2019 11:22 #47 by homeagain
Those who chose to live in the mountains are a special breed of animal.....if you live on the mountain, we KNOW the importance of "being there" when there is a need....because of the
isolation/distance/weather, mountain people GIVE of their time,money if they have it and support
if they don't.

Please consider BB'S post of a mountain couples need.....THIS is one of the things I miss the
most (being away from the mountain).....the STRONG community feel of belonging.:grouphug:

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds