Looking for people to interview

13 Jul 2010 13:18 #1 by Local_Historian
I write a series in my column on "lost arts". Clearly not fully lost, but practiced by so few people they are close to lost. I'm looking to interview people who art into these arts and crafts. I promise not to include names and faces unless you are comfortable like that - I know some people enjoy their privacy. What I'm mainly looking for is to be able to describe the craft, how it is done, modern techniques you've applied to this old trade, how and why you got into this craft of art, where you learned it,do you sell your items, do you take orders, do you offer classes, and any other extraneous questions specific to your art or that may pop up at the time.

A lot of these skills were things that people just knew because they were so much a part of every day life, some are specialized. Knowledge of these arts ansd skill sets could help some people in this economy.

Skill sets/arts/crafts I'm looking for - the list will likely expand, and I happily take suggestions:

Lye soap maker/perfumed soap maker
Woodcarver
Potter
Blacksmith - both old school style and modern technique
Cabinet/furniture maker
Spinner
Weaver
Knitter - I know, it's a reviving art, but it used to be so commonplace and is not any more.
Cow care
Goat care
Chicken raising
High altitude gardening/farming
Embroiderer
Hand sewer
Dressmaker
Horse care and training
Woodstove cooking
Farrier
Quilter - handquilting specifically
Woodscraft - how to survive outside
Snowshoer - making them, using them (yes, I can wait til winter!)
Woodcutter
Cheesemaker

..and the rest of my list just went straight out of my head. I can do a number of these things, but I'd like to talk to people who do them frequently, either as a hobby or as a livelyhood. Some of these could become a series of two or three articles, as we pull n the history of the skill/craft/art as well.

If you can add to the list, or know someone, send them my way. PM me, or you can call my cell - 303-887-3048 and leave a message (I don't get service at the house, but I can check it during the week.)

And yes, I will happily share all the articles here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jul 2010 16:09 #2 by RivendaleFarms
I knit (a lot), weave (a little) and raise alpacas (fiber livestock but not on the list). I know a couple excellent spinners up here as well and will pm you their info as well as a well known potter friend that lives in Indian Hills. My contact info is in the pm.

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

13 Jul 2010 16:34 - 13 Jul 2010 18:12 #3 by BuyersAgent1
Response struck me as thoroughly off topic so I deleted it, sorry. lol

13 Jul 2010 16:39 #4 by LopingAlong
I'll help you with horse training and care. I learned the old cowboy way, knew both Tom and Bill Dorrance as a kid and then learned how to train from the horses I worked over a 45 year period. Let me know what you need.

I can ask a couple of farriers if they'd be interested in helping you out as well.

13 Jul 2010 17:16 #5 by RivendaleFarms
LA, how on earth could you have 45 years experience when we all know you're only 39? :Whistle

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

13 Jul 2010 17:23 #6 by LopingAlong
I'm counting both my lives.... :)

13 Jul 2010 17:40 #7 by Local_Historian

13 Jul 2010 17:47 #8 by BuyersAgent1
I figure if we work at having a good life this time, we're ahead either way.
Then if it turns out there was only one, we're cool.
And if it turns out we get lots and lots, so much the better! -- but, why count on it, just in case? lol
This response is just as off topic, huh?! I seem to be having "an off topic day." :lol:

13 Jul 2010 18:42 #9 by Rockdoc
LH, I do woodworking though at this point time limits my ability to get into the shop. It's been a life-long endeavor. Teaching myself to carve wood is next, after I get the patio laid down and the stone wall built, etc. etc.

13 Jul 2010 18:59 #10 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Looking for people to interview

Local_Historian wrote: I write a series in my column on "lost arts". Clearly not fully lost, but practiced by so few people they are close to lost. I'm looking to interview people who art into these arts and crafts. I promise not to include names and faces unless you are comfortable like that - I know some people enjoy their privacy. What I'm mainly looking for is to be able to describe the craft, how it is done, modern techniques you've applied to this old trade, how and why you got into this craft of art, where you learned it,do you sell your items, do you take orders, do you offer classes, and any other extraneous questions specific to your art or that may pop up at the time.

A lot of these skills were things that people just knew because they were so much a part of every day life, some are specialized. Knowledge of these arts ansd skill sets could help some people in this economy.

Skill sets/arts/crafts I'm looking for - the list will likely expand, and I happily take suggestions:

Lye soap maker/perfumed soap maker
Woodcarver
Potter
Blacksmith - both old school style and modern technique
Cabinet/furniture maker
Spinner
Weaver
Knitter - I know, it's a reviving art, but it used to be so commonplace and is not any more.
Cow care
Goat care
Chicken raising
High altitude gardening/farming
Embroiderer
Hand sewer
Dressmaker
Horse care and training
Woodstove cooking
Farrier
Quilter - handquilting specifically
Woodscraft - how to survive outside
Snowshoer - making them, using them (yes, I can wait til winter!)
Woodcutter
Cheesemaker

..and the rest of my list just went straight out of my head. I can do a number of these things, but I'd like to talk to people who do them frequently, either as a hobby or as a livelyhood. Some of these could become a series of two or three articles, as we pull n the history of the skill/craft/art as well.

If you can add to the list, or know someone, send them my way. PM me, or you can call my cell - 303-887-3048 and leave a message (I don't get service at the house, but I can check it during the week.)

And yes, I will happily share all the articles here.

I feel like such a slug. I can't do anything on your list. Thanks for making feel like a huge loser. Great TV watcher , does that count?

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds