Pretty private OR just passe

16 Jul 2010 08:28 #21 by BaconLover

major bean wrote:

Vice Lord wrote: Once here I posted that my wife had a period, and I got a bunch of TMI responses, the same thing happened when I mentioned that she went to the restroom....Everyone freaked out?...Very uptight- Its like everyone wants to pretend they are royalty and that they never crap, have a period, fight with their spouses, lie, cheat or beat the dog,

Were all human, lets dump the pretense

Being fascinated with body functions should cease at about age 3 or 4. After that our attention should turn to more intellectual things. At the very least body function humor should cease at adoloscence. Wit and humor which includes common body functions is not wit at all, but is vulgarity and shows a retardation of emotional development.

I dunno about that... I got a program for my iPod that plays fart noises. Me and the kids laugh our a$$s of. The wife...not so much.

Keep in touch with your inner child :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jul 2010 09:00 #22 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Pretty private OR just passe

Local_Historian wrote: Privacy mattered a lot more when my children were little children; we had very strict rules, never shared pictures of them online, nor their names or even ours. Nothing personal. I still don't have contact info up on my FB profile - you can email me, that's enough. Very few people have my phone number, and that works even better for me. And even fewer know where I live

And as my kids get older, you won't see pictures of my grandkids from me, because that is my business.A friend really freaks me out, because she has the phone app that posts her GPS location onto facebook. Ummm, no. That's too far.

Oh please- Everytime you or your kids go out of your house people see you! Everytime you get in your car and drive everyone can see your license plate, one toll free phone call to the State and anyone can have your name adddress and more- But who would want it? Really? I just went on a world tour and I told the world I was 10,000 miles away, did my house get robbed?

No

This is just like the threat of terrorism, it's virtually non exsistant. It's only in your heads the everyone on the internet has some sinister motives. What a wierd view of the world some of you have, threats everywhere!

16 Jul 2010 11:34 #23 by Local_Historian

Vice Lord wrote:

Local_Historian wrote: Privacy mattered a lot more when my children were little children; we had very strict rules, never shared pictures of them online, nor their names or even ours. Nothing personal. I still don't have contact info up on my FB profile - you can email me, that's enough. Very few people have my phone number, and that works even better for me. And even fewer know where I live

And as my kids get older, you won't see pictures of my grandkids from me, because that is my business.A friend really freaks me out, because she has the phone app that posts her GPS location onto facebook. Ummm, no. That's too far.

Oh please- Everytime you or your kids go out of your house people see you! Everytime you get in your car and drive everyone can see your license plate, one toll free phone call to the State and anyone can have your name adddress and more- But who would want it? Really? I just went on a world tour and I told the world I was 10,000 miles away, did my house get robbed?

No

This is just like the threat of terrorism, it's virtually non exsistant. It's only in your heads the everyone on the internet has some sinister motives. What a wierd view of the world some of you have, threats everywhere!

They do, eh? So now you know where I live? Interestingly enough, I can often go out of my house without being seen by anyone at all.

I just don't see a need to fill everyone in on my smallest everyday activities, or where I happen to be at any given moment. Really, would you want to read someone's FB page that was filled with "I just took a crap and it looks like Nixon", "My period is really bad this month, think I'll lay on the floor in a fetal position"- and the every 15 minute update on the progress of said period? "I just ate an apple" "my dog is barking" "there's a bird outside"

Not exactly - pretty much a TMI and pretty bad snore.

Let's be honest - social networks are just a new form of entertainment - and every small detail of your life really just isn't entertaining.

As for your house not being robbed while you were gone - you mentioned your trip here - and it's only your ego that makes you think most people here actually give a crap where you live or what you own, let alone be interested in robbing you.

16 Jul 2010 11:42 #24 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Pretty private OR just passe

Local_Historian wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

No

They do, eh? So now you know where I live? Interestingly enough, I can often go out of my house without being seen by anyone at all.

I just don't see a need to fill everyone in on my smallest everyday activities, or where I happen to be at any given moment. Really, would you want to read someone's FB page that was filled with "I just took a crap and it looks like Nixon", "My period is really bad this month, think I'll lay on the floor in a fetal position"- and the every 15 minute update on the progress of said period? "I just ate an apple" "my dog is barking" "there's a bird outside"

Not exactly - pretty much a TMI and pretty bad snore.

Let's be honest - social networks are just a new form of entertainment - and every small detail of your life really just isn't entertaining.

As for your house not being robbed while you were gone - you mentioned your trip here - and it's only your ego that makes you think most people here actually give a crap where you live or what you own, let alone be interested in robbing you.

Hey- I don't have a Facebook page? You don't have to convince me how stupid it is..I was just commenting on your "no pictures of the kids" stuff like your michael Jackson or something...Like someones gonna wanna kidnap your kids for a ransom, lol

16 Jul 2010 11:48 #25 by Local_Historian
Nope - but when I lived in the city, there were, in a 5 block area around us, 25 people convicted of sex crimes against children. Back then, they were small and pretty well defenseless, as children tend to be when small.

Now they're grown and the nearest person convicted of a sex crime against children is in Bailey - several miles from me. And at this point, I'd actually feel sorry for the person who tried to sexually molest my son- they're gonna hurt for a while.

Location makes all the difference. And Iowa seems to have a huge supply of sex offenders.

Mountain living seems to be the cleaner living - or perhaps it's just harder to find prey up here whose parents don't have shotguns and no qualms about using them.

16 Jul 2010 16:10 #26 by 40coupe
IMHO, Facebook only proves Marshall McLuhan and Andy Warhol to have been right.

17 Jul 2010 22:50 #27 by Abner
Replied by Abner on topic Pretty private OR just passe
"Pretty private OR just passe"
Here's hoping it's not passe and just trendy. I'm in my 30's and allready feel out of touch with the next generation.

There are so many electronic distractions and brief text interactions these days. Because of that, the personal attention fix is needed. Enter Twitter and: "I just bought 50% less sodium Lay's chips today! Yea me!" Instead of face to face interactions with others, a Twitter Tweeter will obsesses with the number of twitter reads, and how many unmeet "friends" have been acquired on Facebook.

The internet can be great for meeting people from around the world, those that would never have been meet through traditional boundaries. Still, there has to be a limit to conversing only through brief texts. As far a cell phones in classrooms go, they should be banned. FOCUS and LEARN, all while wanting to meet your friends later. Then at 3:00 you can! What a joy it is to trudge through class, then relax with friends after.

The whole texting bit seems too broad, simple and shallow. Then again I am twice the age of the average Twitter Tweeter, out of touch, and type with eight fingers instead of two thumbs.

I do believe having three good close friends is better than 35 electronic friends.

Just my rant, Abner....(Posting this online, is that hypocritical?)

17 Jul 2010 23:13 #28 by Local_Historian
I agree about the cell phones. very much so. Turn em off, put them away.

19 Jul 2010 10:30 #29 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Pretty private OR just passe
LH agreed, but don't oput them away THROW them away.

19 Jul 2010 15:37 #30 by LadyJazzer
I'm with the privacy crowd...I can relate when someone said, "I'd rather eat ground glass than join Facebook." I don't do ANY of the social-networking sites. I do have connections on LinkedIn, but that's not about "friending" or any of that other silliness...It's more like Classmates.com, and I connect with old friends I used to work with at various companies over the last 35 years...Sort of a "reunion."

After reading what they can (and WILL) do with your private information, I'm just not interested.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds