Pretty private OR just passe

15 Jul 2010 16:13 #11 by ShilohLady
I finally signed up for Facebook mainly to easily share photos with my family back in CA. I don't post much on it otherwise and frankly would rather not know as much as I have learned about my (young adult) relatives' activities. The 'beauty' of FB if you want to call it that is that you do control to a great extent how much information you share and who you share it with so for those who want 'the world' to know things, they can share, for us stick-in-the-muds, we can not put it out there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Jul 2010 16:22 #12 by BaconLover

ShilohLady wrote: I finally signed up for Facebook mainly to easily share photos with my family back in CA. I don't post much on it otherwise and frankly would rather not know as much as I have learned about my (young adult) relatives' activities. The 'beauty' of FB if you want to call it that is that you do control to a great extent how much information you share and who you share it with so for those who want 'the world' to know things, they can share, for us stick-in-the-muds, we can not put it out there.

You gotta be careful with Facebook because the default is to "share everything". That is one of the concerns I would have recommending facebook. Unless you go in and "turn everything off" you're hanging it all out there. And then you have to be careful who you friend (check out [url=http://www.failbook.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.failbook.com[/url]).

In here, unless you tell someone who you are, your an anonymous userID.

15 Jul 2010 17:59 #13 by ShilohLady
ah - but beyond my name, I don't have much information there and I DID choose to turn most stuff off :)

15 Jul 2010 18:15 #14 by jf1acai
I think it is good to have options - different strokes for different folx.

And whatever we put on the Internet, and wherever, we have to be mindful of the possible consequences.

If you don't want the world to be able to find out about it, don't post it!

A few folx here will remember a little 'hot tub' incident from a few years ago :wink:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

15 Jul 2010 18:59 - 23 Jun 2013 15:59 #15 by major bean

Regards,
Major Bean

15 Jul 2010 19:43 #16 by Rockdoc

jf1acai wrote: I think it is good to have options - different strokes for different folx.

And whatever we put on the Internet, and wherever, we have to be mindful of the possible consequences.

If you don't want the world to be able to find out about it, don't post it!

A few folx here will remember a little 'hot tub' incident from a few years ago :wink:

Exactly. I do not know anything about a "hot tub incident" but can understand the consequences of such if one is unguarded. If I join a site, I make sure of the degree of personal exposure. Yes, I'm on facebook, select my friends thoughtfully, limit who can see what I post, post infrequently and try to keep that innocuous. Same is true here. You really do not get to know me so the point where you could exploit my identity. It's all about managing the internet not vice versa. Having said that, I think I need to edit one of my web sites. :biggrin:

15 Jul 2010 20:04 #17 by Sunshine Girl
I love the internet - if not for it I would not have met Franz. I am very selective with the friends I ok on my FB and I'm also aware of what I share and don't share in a public forum. :sunshine:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

15 Jul 2010 20:13 #18 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Pretty private OR just passe

major bean wrote:

Vice Lord wrote: Once here I posted that my wife had a period, and I got a bunch of TMI responses, the same thing happened when I mentioned that she went to the restroom....Everyone freaked out?...Very uptight- Its like everyone wants to pretend they are royalty and that they never crap, have a period, fight with their spouses, lie, cheat or beat the dog,

Were all human, lets dump the pretense

Being fascinated with body functions should cease at about age 3 or 4. After that our attention should turn to more intellectual things. At the very least body function humor should cease at adoloscence. Wit and humor which includes common body functions is not wit at all, but is vulgarity and shows a retardation of emotional development.

Don't try to be smart, it's not working...It wasn't a period joke- Someone here asked my why I didn't have sex the previous night and I answered.

15 Jul 2010 21:57 #19 by Wayne Harrison
Too bad you didn't just go for it.

You could have told everyone you had sex with your wife and her friend.

15 Jul 2010 22:31 #20 by Local_Historian

homeagain wrote: In general, privacy is pretty important to me. The texting,tweeter,facebook,utube,my space,etc.etc.factor seems like "tmi" to me.
so-o-o,I'm asking the question....."is privacy IMPORTANT or is it passe"? This question was prompted by several 'friend" requests after
I inadvertently ventured into facebook,THEN backed out and found my self in the thick of a "befriending bid....(hey Vik,no offense,but
I DON'T do facebook and tweetering just seems like the nanoseconds of your life is of interest to no one) I guess I must be in the
minority because EVERYONE is on the band wagon....... :TMI:

I got on facebook and twitter to help promote my writing -which is done in my real name. With the exception of about 10 people, I know everyone on my friend list - amazing the number of people you get to know presenting seminars at conventions and other participation, and through the museum work I've done. Of the people I don't personally know to some degree are a few other writers whose work I enjoy, and I'm getting to know them as people as well.

When someone I don't know tries to friend me, I send them a message asking them why. If they don't answer, they don't get to be my "friend". And some of the more "uptight" people I have know - one I have known since I was 16 - well, my very opinionated friends engaged him in a debate on my "wall" and he took himself off my list. And that's ok too.

Privacy mattered a lot more when my children were little children; we had very strict rules, never shared pictures of them online, nor their names or even ours. Nothing personal. I still don't have contact info up on my FB profile - you can email me, that's enough. Very few people have my phone number, and that works even better for me. And even fewer know where I live.

Otherwise, very hard to be a writer trying to promote your work without using social networks. I look at it this way - of someone really wants to find me, they will - regardless of what I don't put up on the net. I just don't have to make it over easy for them.

And as my kids get older, you won't see pictures of my grandkids from me, because that is my business. In fact, you don;t see pictures of my kids now from me, even though one is an adult and the other very nearly so. You don't see my daily personal life all over my facebook - a lot of wierdness, but not where I am, what I am doing, what I ate for lunch, etc - unless it is after the fact or is 100% work related for me.

A friend really freaks me out, because she has the phone app that posts her GPS location onto facebook. Ummm, no. That's too far.

Time to create page: 0.309 seconds