To Rome. Been there? Where to stay?

16 Jul 2010 22:43 #11 by Sunshine Girl

Wayne Harrison wrote: (That sounds like you're glad she'll be gone)

Sorry to disappoint, but he was joking. :Whistle

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jul 2010 23:24 #12 by netdude

Sunshine Girl wrote:

netdude wrote: Been there and all I can say is Rome is awesome! Culture, history, it has New Yorks energy but WAY more class.

We stayed in the Trastevere neighborhood, it is a great way to stay amongst the Romans as they live. My cousin who lives in Pontinia suggested it. It does not feel all touristy. It's close to the Vatican City, near the Tibor, the Colosseum and the Forum. Walking distance. Not too far to the Pantheon either. It is a little farther to the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain.

Best thing for me was to go out in the evening and walk around the neighborhood, little piazzas with sidewalk cafe's, full off people having a wonderful time... La Dolce Vita!!!!

That sounds amazing! We've been looking into places in Venice and Florence too. So Rome, Venice, and Florence are the big three places for us so far. Any suggestions based on that?

We did not make it to Venice, we had issues at the place we were staying in Sabaudia and had to stick around and deal with the property manager.

As far as Florence we stayed about 24 km south/southeast in the little town of Incisa in Val d'Arno, in a little farmhouse turned into apartments.... 2 bedroom unit, with kitchen... it was quite quaint and very cool!

The town had a few places to eat and the apartment was a mile to the train station in Figline Valdalmo (south).
It cost 4 euro round trip and took maybe 20 minutes into Florence. Really worked out well. The train station had a little cafe that had coffee and pastries that we would partake in on the train in. And you get to see neat things on the way.
The station in Florence was withing walking distance of the Duomo and everything else cool.

Here is the link to where we stayed
http://www.agriturismo.net/incisa-valdarno-1043/

BTW, check other locations on that site. Agritourismo's are very interesting... usually stay in very interesting places. And they are all OVER Tuscany!!

Also, try and spend at least a day in Siena, that is such a cool old town. The main piazza Piazza il Campo, it is the one they filmed the opening scene in Quantum of Solace (latest James Bond) where they have an annual horse race right in the piazza, the one they had in that scene... very awesome!!
Oh, and another city is Orvieto. Orvieto is know for its white wines produced from the vineyards around the city. Both are on the way from Rome to Florence!

Anyway, you guys will fall in love with the country... Italians are the friendliest people and are the best at living and loving life!!!

16 Jul 2010 23:31 #13 by Sunshine Girl

netdude wrote:

Sunshine Girl wrote:

netdude wrote: Been there and all I can say is Rome is awesome! Culture, history, it has New Yorks energy but WAY more class.

We stayed in the Trastevere neighborhood, it is a great way to stay amongst the Romans as they live. My cousin who lives in Pontinia suggested it. It does not feel all touristy. It's close to the Vatican City, near the Tibor, the Colosseum and the Forum. Walking distance. Not too far to the Pantheon either. It is a little farther to the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain.

Best thing for me was to go out in the evening and walk around the neighborhood, little piazzas with sidewalk cafe's, full off people having a wonderful time... La Dolce Vita!!!!

That sounds amazing! We've been looking into places in Venice and Florence too. So Rome, Venice, and Florence are the big three places for us so far. Any suggestions based on that?

We did not make it to Venice, we had issues at the place we were staying in Sabaudia and had to stick around and deal with the property manager.

As far as Florence we stayed about 24 km south/southeast in the little town of Incisa in Val d'Arno, in a little farmhouse turned into apartments.... 2 bedroom unit, with kitchen... it was quite quaint and very cool!

The town had a few places to eat and the apartment was a mile to the train station in Figline Valdalmo (south).
It cost 4 euro round trip and took maybe 20 minutes into Florence. Really worked out well. The train station had a little cafe that had coffee and pastries that we would partake in on the train in. And you get to see neat things on the way.
The station in Florence was withing walking distance of the Duomo and everything else cool.

Here is the link to where we stayed
http://www.agriturismo.net/incisa-valdarno-1043/

BTW, check other locations on that site. Agritourismo's are very interesting... usually stay in very interesting places. And they are all OVER Tuscany!!

Also, try and spend at least a day in Siena, that is such a cool old town. The main piazza Piazza il Campo, it is the one they filmed the opening scene in Quantum of Solace (latest James Bond) where they have an annual horse race right in the piazza, the one they had in that scene... very awesome!!
Oh, and another city is Orvieto. Orvieto is know for its white wines produced from the vineyards around the city. Both are on the way from Rome to Florence!

Anyway, you guys will fall in love with the country... Italians are the friendliest people and are the best at living and loving life!!!

Such great information! You're hired to be our tour guide. :wink: :biggrin: I will start researching the above tomorrow. Thank you for your info. We're going to love Italy without a doubt - the romance, the countryside, the people, and the history. You just can't go wrong! BTW - did you travel to any of the nearby islands?

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

17 Jul 2010 02:39 #14 by Rockdoc

Sunshine Girl wrote:

Wayne Harrison wrote: (That sounds like you're glad she'll be gone)

Sorry to disappoint, but he was joking. :Whistle

Wane was talking about Becky lol

17 Jul 2010 22:08 #15 by justthefacts
Been to Roma a couple of times. I agree with the comment about staying in a neighborhood where you can soak in the local lifestyle outside the tourist zone yet still walk to most everything. I prefer the apartment over the hotel if staying for 5+ days (less expensive as well), although I've done it both ways and I'm sure you'll enjoy it regardless where you stay.
Rome is an awesome walking town - so much to see it's absolutely amazing. Vatican and St. Peters are a bit of a hike from the rest of the main attractions so I probably wouldn't stay over that way.

We stayed a week about two blocks east of the Coliseum around Via Labianca (road). Had a flat with a terrace with a spectacular view of the Coliseum; especially at night when it's all lit up. Flat owners typically give you a list of the local coffee joint, bakery, market, neighborhood eateries, where the best buffalo mozzarella, etc. The owners of our apartment greeted us with wine and said good bye with a bottle of Prosseco (Italian version of Champagne - drink lots - inexpensive and tasty)

Check out these sites - if staying for more than a couple nites and not adverse to not staying in a hotel. We've used these sites several times with excellent results. Nice change of place to the hotels you'll no doubt be staying in as well.

http://www.vrbo.com
http://www.cyberrentals.com

Ciao!

17 Jul 2010 22:17 #16 by JMC
Its been awhile since I was in Italy but if you can make it to Naples, it can be a lot of fun. A little crazier down south. I still have my best Italy stories from there.

17 Jul 2010 23:23 #17 by Cupcake
Stuff I remember from when I was stationed 35 miles west of Venice:

1. When you order spaghetti, tell 'em what you want on it (each ingredient), or you're gonna get a bowl of naked noodles. "Con Marsala" will get you something that tastes like Campbell's tomato soup poured on top (Northern Italians are better known for their white sauces). In Northern Italy, order my super-duper favorite for me: "Tortellini con Panna". Yummmmm....
2. Shopping deals are best in Venice when the weather stinks. Don't wear good shoes.
3. The steps into a gondola are very slippery - plan accordingly, or have some antibiotics handy for when you fall into the canal. First-hand knowledge...
4. The two phrases you'll need the most: "Quanta Costa?" (how much does this cost?) and "Dove' la Banyo?" (spelled incorrectly so you pronounce it right - that one's for the potty directions)
5. Public restrooms: again, don't wear good shoes. in fact, boots are best, even in August. Picture a sink sunken into the floor - ya gotta aim at that.
6. All Italians shower on Sundays (generally that's the only day they do). Don't expect much water pressure on Sundays.
7. Italians "change the air" in their homes daily. Even in a snowstorm, their windows are all open, and their bedding is hanging from them.
8. Murano glass. Take money, it's irresistable. Get it on the island, it's cheaper - and visit the glass factories there (take tums, you'll drink homemade white wine at each stop; and you'll insult them if you don't. There's no white milk in Venice to settle the tummy.)
9. Human Chess Game - the name of the town escapes me (hey, it's been many years!), but Bassano del Grappa comes to mind.
10. Traffic signals, stop signs, and lines on the pavement are merely suggestions. If involved in an accident, it's automatically your fault - if you weren't there, it wouldn't have happened. Take the bus or the train.
11. Their cars are really teeny-weeny compared to ours. I parked my cinque-cento next to an imported VW Beetle once, and my car was less than half the size.
12. Which reminds me of a funny story: I parked my cinque-cento on a street (parallel-parked) in downtown Vicenza to do some shopping. When I came out of the store, it had been "relocated" to the sidewalk because someone wanted my parking space. I heard that two guys picked it up and moved it.
13. Come over and borrow my book on Vicenza, it'll give you a great feel for the culture and countryside, even if that's not the particular area you'll be visiting.
14. Beware of the doves in St. Mark's square in Venice. They eat a lot. Might want to wear a disposable jacket that day or carry an umbrella.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment, I'm sure more of my memories will return as I think on it some more.

You'll love it.

P.S. I never made it to Rome. The weekend I had planned for MONTHS to go down there...some nutjobs with machine guns decided to use the airport in Rome for target practice, so service members were forbidden to travel there. Daggum those jerks!

18 Jul 2010 06:31 #18 by Rockdoc
OK Dimps, Some good information. Public restrooms lie they have in Saudi, got to love the aroma. yech.

If we end up in Rome (I hope we do for some sight seeing at the very least as I'd hate to see four years of Latin go to waste) we'll take lots of pictures for you to see.

18 Jul 2010 08:09 #19 by Momma Bear
I have been to Rome, Venice and Florence. My favorite place was Florence!! Hubby and I spent an incredible 3 day romantic weekend there in 1987. I love Tuscany-beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I can't remember where we stayed but I do recall it was in the middle of the city. Walking distance to everything. At the time, his best friend and my best friend were dating and they went with us. We spent the weekend taking in all the architecture, getting our pictures sketched by artists on the street (I still have mine), sitting down at the cappucino bar's and consuming the beautify of this magnificant city...I'll never forget it.....A must see.

While in Rome we stayed at the Hotel Raffaello which was located right by the Colosseum and the Teatro dell'Opera. There is so much to do there so make sure that you put on your walking shoes and expect to walk everywhere you go!!! I would say the top things to do in Rome is the colosseum and the vatican -- you will feel the history as soon as you enter both places!! It is amazing!

I wasn't to fond of Venice but I had a wonderful time. Went with a bunch of my friends on a three day weekend. I just remember that it was a huge tourist trap and very dirty...I still have some photo's of taking a gondola ride with the girls and was able to purchase some venician glass which I still have and guard it safely in my bedroom!!!

Whatever you decide to do you will have fun and will love it....One big piece of advice is to never go to Italy in the Summer...Do it in the fall or early spring. The reason why i say this is because it will be to hot, incredibly crowded and don't forget, the italians don't wear deodorant.....

18 Jul 2010 08:17 #20 by Cupcake
Oh yeah - the cappuccino. It's addicting.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds