To Rome. Been there? Where to stay?

22 Jul 2010 20:09 #31 by ScienceChic

Sunshine Girl wrote: That sounds amazing! We've been looking into places in Venice and Florence too. So Rome, Venice, and Florence are the big three places for us so far. Any suggestions based on that?

Haven't been to Rome or Florence, but did stay in Venice for a couple of days about a decade back. I was a poor grad student staying in hostels and I got stuck in the girls-only convent as it was the only one with space still available! rofllol It might not work for you SG! :biggrin: It was clean, but had a curfew and NO boys allowed!

Absolutely get over to Murano - the glass blowing is beautiful and you will want to buy lots of it! I enjoyed the Salvador Dali museum too, not sure if it's still around tho... Pray for cool, cloudy weather - it smells nicer then. All the food and table wine rocks, expect the unexpected (I died laughing at some college girls sitting next to us who wanted to order something "normal", got shrimp, and almost screamed when it came out head, legs and all on their plate!) You'll have a blast wherever you go!

I have a friend who's done 2 trips through a good portion of Italy recently and I'll ask her where she recommends to go and stay and get back to ya!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jul 2010 22:55 #32 by Rockdoc

Science Chic wrote:

Sunshine Girl wrote: That sounds amazing! We've been looking into places in Venice and Florence too. So Rome, Venice, and Florence are the big three places for us so far. Any suggestions based on that?

<snip>

Absolutely get over to Murano - the glass blowing is beautiful and you will want to buy lots of it! I enjoyed the Salvador Dali museum too, not sure if it's still around tho... Pray for cool, cloudy weather - it smells nicer then. All the food and table wine rocks, expect the unexpected (I died laughing at some college girls sitting next to us who wanted to order something "normal", got shrimp, and almost screamed when it came out head, legs and all on their plate!) You'll have a blast wherever you go!
quote]

:lol: :lol: I'm laughing with you about the reaction to a creature on your plate. lol

One palce I really loved was the Dolomiti, (Dolomites) the mountainous are in Northern Itally and contiguous with Austria. The scenery is spectacular. If you like hiking it is a perfect place even in summer. Even if you would rather not use the fat of the land up on a hike, you can enjoy it there because they have lifts to the high mountains and lots of roades over passes that gie picturesque views of quaint villages nestled amoung the mountain valleys. I'd return there in a hearbeat.

Look forward to your additional information SC.

06 Aug 2010 21:31 #33 by navycpo7
Rome was a good time, got to meet the Pope (not that it did me any good). Been to Trieste, Venice, Genoa, Naples, Aviano and Sicily. The best place I ever ate in Italy was in Naples place called "The Cave". Best food I eve had in Italy.(Grew up in Germany soooooo). If you do go to Venice, careful of the water taxi's, make sure you get the price before you get in.

16 Aug 2010 11:33 #34 by ScienceChic
My friend Janet's travel journal of her first trip to Italy. Still trying to get her to tell me where she stayed the 2nd time she went (not a good B&B on this trip). Hope this gives you some good info, if you haven't gone yet!
http://www.tripsource.com/stories/Janet/Italy.htm

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

16 Aug 2010 18:37 #35 by pepperfan451

Rockdoc Franz wrote: Et tu Brute? I appreciate the food tips as that will be a critical part of a visit there. I also appreciate the insights regarding theft. I look forward to a trip there and in particular the Roman architecture.

I have always wanted to visit Italy. I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip and share everything you learned with us. Bon Voyage.

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds