To Rome. Been there? Where to stay?

18 Jul 2010 08:22 #21 by netdude

Dimplszzz wrote: Oh yeah - the cappuccino. It's addicting.

Oh yeah, and so is the gelato!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jul 2010 11:34 #22 by Sunshine Girl
Wow, thanks for all the great info everyone! I'm sure we will have a wonderful time. We're very excited and I will organize all of the suggestions and must see's so we don't miss anything. Italy sounds so romantic we just can't wait!!!!! :woo hoo:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

19 Jul 2010 09:01 #23 by ComputerBreath
Visited Rome when I was stationed near Pisa. Caught the train at 2 am, slept on the train, spent the day, then slept on the train on the way back. Didn't like Rome (Roma to Italians) as much as Florence (Firenze to Italians). Tuscany is great. Don't know much about lodging, as my trips were day trips on the train.

Pepperoni in Italy does not mean sausage like it does here...Pepperoni in Italy means peppers.

From 12 noon until about 3 or 4 pm every weekday Italians take their version of a Siesta (I don't remember what it is called right now). Most stores are closed. Except in tourist areas...but some of the tourist sites may close at this time. If you get to Firenze, absolutely go to the Uffizi...WOW!!

If you get a rental vehicle, know that there are toll roads in Italy. Also, beware the Carabinieri (the national police...we called them "care bears" but not to their faces) with the "lollipops"...paddles with a green dot on one side and a red dot on the other...red means stop and that is so they can check your paperwork and make sure it is up to date. If you don't stop, the other care bear with the automatic rifle is authorized to shoot.

Not ordering wine with every meal (especially lunch and dinner) is considered rude.

Ordering shellfish (shrimp, clams, etc.)...you get the WHOLE animal. With shrimp you get the head and feet...not cleaned nicely like in America. With clams you get them in the shells.

Beware of street vendors. They are not legally selling their wares and if you get caught buying from the vendor, you could get into trouble.

My absolute favorite Italian food was Quattro Formaggio Gnocchi. 4 cheese gnocchi...fantastic!!

The subway train in Roma will take you wherever you want to go and it is easy. I didn't like Roma as much because it was crowded with tourists and hotter and not everything is close together like in Firenze. The Colosseum is amazing...I think we spent a couple hours there.

Lastly, beware gypsies. Keep your wallet in your the front pocket of your pants and make sure to stash some cash somewhere else on your body (like your shoes or socks). Your wallet could be gone in a couple minutes and you won't even know it!

19 Jul 2010 09:21 #24 by Gunny
I lived four years in Vicenza and moved from there to here. I agree with ComputerBreath on the gypsies, I have been many places in the world, but only pick-pocked in Florence (got it back, though :thumbsup: ).

Venice is great! Forget the maps though, you'll go crazy. Just wing it, wander around and enjoy. There are signs that will point you in the direction of the main points of interest.

I never made it to Rome. My wife went a few times and loved the flea markets. She would have to buy suitcases to haul back the bargains she picked up. Italians aren't reel keen on being seen in last year's fashion statement.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
Robert A. Heinlein

20 Jul 2010 19:28 #25 by Momma Bear
Oh my, I almost got pick pocked in Florence. I could feel the gypsy tugging on my purse and I was able to pull my purse away before they stole it.

20 Jul 2010 20:42 #26 by Cupcake
The pepperoni comment reminded me of my first day in Italy.

I was warned against "Zambuca" (some kind of liquer), and those I was with...didn't heed the advice (I did, thankfully).

For my first real italian meal, I ordered "Pizza Supremo". Bad move.

I don't remember ALL the things that were on it, but the two that stick in my mind the most were the artichoke hearts (ok, not bad) and the raw egg in the center - never did figure out the raw egg thing.

Italy is where I picked up the habit of sprinkling red wine vinegar on my pizza, and still do it to this day. A few sprinkles on any red italian dish adds a nice 'zing'.

Pastries in Italy - golly, they are the most beautiful things you've ever seen. The taste leaves a lot to be desired; they're best left admired in the shop windows (IMHO).

20 Jul 2010 21:17 #27 by Rockdoc

Dimplszzz wrote: The pepperoni comment reminded me of my first day in Italy.

I was warned against "Zambuca" (some kind of liquer), and those I was with...didn't heed the advice (I did, thankfully).

For my first real italian meal, I ordered "Pizza Supremo". Bad move.

I don't remember ALL the things that were on it, but the two that stick in my mind the most were the artichoke hearts (ok, not bad) and the raw egg in the center - never did figure out the raw egg thing.

Italy is where I picked up the habit of sprinkling red wine vinegar on my pizza, and still do it to this day. A few sprinkles on any red italian dish adds a nice 'zing'.

Pastries in Italy - golly, they are the most beautiful things you've ever seen. The taste leaves a lot to be desired; they're best left admired in the shop windows (IMHO).

Et tu Brute? I appreciate the food tips as that will be a critical part of a visit there. I also appreciate the insights regarding theft. I look forward to a trip there and in particular the Roman architecture.

20 Jul 2010 21:45 #28 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic To Rome. Been there? Where to stay?
I went there when I was 14 or 15- My parents took us to the Forum Ruins...There was a section of roof (?) on the ground that had little sculptures on if of guys on horses and everything. I saw one horse that did'nt look to weathered so I hung on it and the head crumpled off- I stuck the little horse head (it was the size of a baseball) into my moms purse...There was only one way out of the ruins and that was up some wooden stairs through a door by a security guard...I saw the guard and got the head out of my moms purse and just laid it on the ground..If I woulda got caught I might still be in jail..

21 Jul 2010 06:51 #29 by Rockdoc
Sometimes the world is unlucky. Other times we are unlucky.

21 Jul 2010 16:56 #30 by Momma Bear
The best italian food I've ever eaten is in Italy..Just remember, that it may differ based on the region your in!! I love the Italian Pizza, didn't at first but then it grew on me after 4 years of living there!!! I highly recommend that you try the veal scalopinni in Italy --Amazing! Bon Appetito!

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds