Amazing Dog rescue on Mt. Bierstadt! Must read.

15 Aug 2012 09:44 #1 by CinnamonGirl
So, the people on this forum find a dog that is just wondering around on Mt. Bierstadt. They get together to rescue her and do a heroic job using the forum, not knowing how this dog came to be wondering the fourteener alone then the guy comes on and actually admits to leaving her up there!!!! You gotta read the 46 pages on the forum. Amazing story!

http://www.9news.com/news/article/28295 ... -from-14er

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=36893

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Aug 2012 09:52 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Amazing Dog rescue on Mt. Bierstadt! Must read.
Here is where the owner admits. What a drama after that.

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... &start=252

15 Aug 2012 09:55 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Amazing Dog rescue on Mt. Bierstadt! Must read.
Hi all,

I am the owner of the German Shepard girl found on Mt. Bierstadt.

I need to know the name of the vet clinic that Missy is at so I can go see her and re-reimburse them for helping her, and if I am fortunate enough, to bring her home.

I am at a complete loss of words. My gratitude for the people involved in this is without measure.

Missy was hurt during an attempt at crossing the Sawtooth. It was Missy, a friend and I. Her paws got bloodied up right in the belly of the sawtooth. I was assisting her with the climb using ropes and a harness for a while but she kept getting hurt worse. A few kind hikers stopped and offered some assistance but incoming weather pushed people off of the saddle. My friend and I realized that we could not get Missy up the saddle to Evans or Bierstadt safely so we decided to bail off of the saddle into the valley between the two mountains to escape the incoming clouds. We were lowering her for a while with ropes from boulder to boulder but she was hurting herself worse against the rocks sprawling out and catching them with her legs. Eventually she just stopped standing or moving at all and I knew she was pretty badly hurt. I picked her up on my shoulders and was hopping from boulder to boulder but I couldn't keep her on me. I dropped her once and I almost fell once too and I realized that I couldn't carry her off of the mountain. At this point I made the decision that I honestly never thought I would even be faced with. I left her there so that my friend and I could get down safely with intentions of calling S&R when we were off of the mountian. We both spent about two hours trying to move her up and down the mountain and were pretty exhausted. Neither one of us wanted to hike up the saddle with the cloud cover growing so we continued down into the valley and hiked back to Guanella Pass Rd. It was a lot farther than we thought it would be, and we got lost several times. A group of hunters showed us the way out and gave us a ride back to our car. Thank you to them as well.

I called the 911, the sheriffs office and search and rescue and I was told that it was to risky for them to send rescue crew up there for a dog, which was upsetting but understandable. I'll admit that while trying to get off of the the mountain I was not as concerned because I was focused on making it safely off of the mountain, but once I was safely at my car I was overwhelmed with the loss, and the decision to leave her there. The next couple of days was absolutely horrible wondering about her, if she was alive, or if she died. Thinking about her suffering was awful beyond words. Many confidants comforted me by saying that she was probably gone from injury. All I can say is that I am relieved that she is okay, I am ashamed that it was not me that started this thread, I am ashamed that it wasn't me who got her off of the mountain, I underestimated the good will and resolve of the hiking community of Colorado, and I am eternally grateful to all of you and to 9news. I humbly beg the forgiveness of the community and most of all my Missy Girl. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

15 Aug 2012 10:56 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Update at the end of the thread.

Hello everyone, I’m sorry for the delay in posting this update but it was a long day yesterday and today has been quite the frenzy.

As you all have heard and seen, we were able to rescue the dog yesterday. She is apparently named Missy, although I have been calling her Lucky. I took her to a veterinarian last night, who graciously volunteered their services, and she is doing great. She’s been fully checked out and has no fractures, internal injuries, or other permanent damage and all of her lab work came back normal. Her pads are in rough shape and she is severely dehydrated and has been on an IV overnight and throughout today. Her survival and shear will to live are astounding by any measure.

As we move forward, Lucky/Missy will remain in veterinary care for the short term. I realize that there is a great deal of emotion surrounding the rescue of this dog and I must admit that myself, my wife, and the other members of the rescue team have grown extremely fond of her. That being said, there is a certain legal process that must be followed in cases like this. Animal Control, as well as the appropriate branches of the Sherriff’s Offices, have been notified and are already on top of things. We will work to ensure that she is in a loving and caring environment but this incident does have legal ramifications and both the law and due process will have their day.

I would like to acknowledge and thank all of the other members of the rescue team who took time out of their lives and cared enough to attempt this rescue: Alex Gelb, Stefan Kleinschuster, Ralph Kolva, Chase Lindell (who pulled off one of the most outstanding feats of strength and endurance that I have even seen), Chris O’Riley, John Steed, and Christoph Tomford. What they accomplished was no small feat and if you know these men or ever run across them be sure to shake their hand and buy them a beer. This rescue would not have been possible without all of their combined efforts. They are heroes, every single one.

I would also like to thank our veterinarian, who is one of the nicest and kindest men I’ve ever met; Brandon Vail, who organized the search party that went up Saturday night; and Erik Willcutt, who spent all day Sunday scouring the mountainside looking for Lucky/Missy. There were many other individuals who participated in this rescue and their efforts are greatly appreciated.

It is our sincere hope that this effort will be remembered, not for our accomplishments, but as a reminder of the good that we are all capable of and of the amazing the things that can happen when even just a few people are willing to stand up and do the right thing.

Thank you to everyone for your love, support, and well wishes.

Scott and Amanda

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... &start=540

15 Aug 2012 12:14 - 15 Aug 2012 13:13 #5 by Grady

CinnamonGirl wrote: Here is where the owner admits. What a drama after that.

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... &start=252

The picture is of a different guy and a different dog. Edit: this is now the correct dog :biggrin:

I'll sum up my thoughts. They guy took his friend and his dog beyond where they should have gone. I've crossed the Saw tooth myself; it's no place for a dog. He got into trouble and had to abandon his dog to make sure he and his friend made it out safely, I don't think I would have done that but OK. He made a judgment call. But that he did nothing to get the dog rescued, is absolutely deplorable and uncaring. He only came forward after hearing about the story on the news.

Pictures of the rescue can be found here>>>> http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=36893&start=528

15 Aug 2012 12:24 #6 by CinnamonGirl
Changed the pic. Thanks for alerting me. Must have grabbed the wrong one.

15 Aug 2012 12:25 #7 by Mtn Gramma
LOVED the pic of the dog in the backpack. Hope she isn't returned to her abandoner.

15 Aug 2012 12:27 #8 by CinnamonGirl
He made a mistake and had to leave the dog. He was stupid to take her up there. But we all can be stupid. I think his biggest mistake was leaving her there for 8 days without even tying to put out signs or something. However, we do not know what the authorities told him. They could have tried to call animal control or something too. I don't think we know everything but either way he was irresponsible and stupid.

15 Aug 2012 12:33 #9 by Mtn Gramma
I can understand fearing for his and his buddy's safety and feeling that they needed to get off the mountain that night and, being unable to carry the dog to safety, leaving her. I can find no excuse for doing nothing the day/days after that. SAR said they could do nothing (if he's to be believed) but HE did nothing after that. And now wants the dog back. She deserves better.

15 Aug 2012 12:37 #10 by Lucky
I applaud the people that rescued the dog.
This guy was stupid on many levels but not returning for his dog is unforgivable. I hope one of the rescuers adopts her if that's legal.
The thread on 14ers.com is fascinating to read, I ended up reading all 46 pages.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds