Amazing Dog rescue on Mt. Bierstadt! Must read.

15 Aug 2012 13:53 #11 by FredHayek
I will take my dogs hiking, but I wouldn't take them mountain climbing. And I would have a hard time abandoning any of my pooches.

Are they going to let the guy get his dog back? I think the Denver Post this morning said there was a question about that.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Aug 2012 14:04 #12 by Raees
He shouldn't get his dog back. He gave it up when he abandoned it without making an effort rescue it and left it to die.

In fact, he should face animal abuse charges.

15 Aug 2012 15:23 #13 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I agree... yeah, he's sorry and humbled and all that, but there is some other part to this story that we are not hearing. . . there has to be... it doesn't add up. Whenever I can't reconcile someone's words and their actions, I always pay attention ONLY to the actions - they are the truth. His actions do not match his words.

15 Aug 2012 17:24 #14 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Amazing Dog rescue on Mt. Bierstadt! Must read.

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: I agree... yeah, he's sorry and humbled and all that, but there is some other part to this story that we are not hearing. . . there has to be... it doesn't add up. Whenever I can't reconcile someone's words and their actions, I always pay attention ONLY to the actions - they are the truth. His actions do not match his words.

I agree. New rule for me too.

16 Aug 2012 14:35 #15 by JMC
This will be a national story, amazing read.

16 Aug 2012 15:01 #16 by ScienceChic
You know what I took away from reading that thread? How judgmental and unforgiving people can be on an online forum when they don't have all the facts or make assumptions. Who'd'a thunk? :wink:

It's his dog, he will get her back. Yes, he made a mistake in taking her up there in the first place, but it sounds like he wasn't well-informed: either before or afterwards as to the terrain, wasn't properly equipped for a difficult climb with an animal, what resources were available at his disposal, how best to adequately handle the situation/what decisions to make (and tried very hard to bring her down and stopped only when he realized he was hurting her more in the attempt - and I can only go by his account since I wasn't there so who knows what really transpired), and to continue pushing to ask for help after he got back (he sounded to me like a person who isn't a go-getter), and circumstances prevented him from going back out to look (with having to travel out of town for work) even if he'd thought that it would do any good. It sounds like he's learned his lesson, and I respect his decision to post there and maintain his positive focus throughout being bashed.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

16 Aug 2012 15:06 #17 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I agree with all that you said, SC - to the point of not being able to get her down. I do not blame him for those actions. BUT the actions or NON actions I do BLAME HIM. For him to just assume she was dead and make NO effort to get her is inexcusable. those are not the actions of someone that loves their dog.

16 Aug 2012 15:36 #18 by ScienceChic
I agree that he shouldn't have assumed that she was already dead. I think he does love her, but he's a personality type that leans more toward being reactive than proactive - a follower rather than a leader (so he was going to sit around and cry/be a victim, rather than go out and look for her or spend extra effort to find help). He definitely didn't make the right decision there, but it sounded like he wasn't even sure whom to turn to for help (ie, he didn't even know about the 14ers.com forum - I know I didn't, but I'm not a climber either). I know what it's like to live here and not have a lot of family or friends available to call upon because you didn't grow up here and you don't know who to ask that can help (for instance, if he was my friend, I couldn't have volunteered to climb and look for her b/c I've never climbed a 14'er and would be more likely to get in trouble myself than find her and help her). This seemed to be a situation full of unfortunate variables that all compounded into one fortunately good outcome for the pooch. For him to continue to thank those who did rescue her, and apologize for his actions rather than make a ton of excuses says a lot to me about how he feels about her and I think he deserves a second chance, but that's just my opinion.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

16 Aug 2012 15:40 #19 by FredHayek
Anyone remember that movie where they had to abandon the dog team in Antartica? 8 Below or something? Awesome movie but it will make you tear up. Good to know the dog survived and held on. And kudos to the people who rescued the pup.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Aug 2012 16:39 #20 by Grady

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: I agree with all that you said, SC - to the point of not being able to get her down. I do not blame him for those actions. BUT the actions or NON actions I do BLAME HIM. For him to just assume she was dead and make NO effort to get her is inexcusable. those are not the actions of someone that loves their dog.

:yeahthat:

At the very least he should have gone back up and secured her body for being picked over by the ravens. He was wrong wrong wrong not to make an effort to get her back down. Yes maybe he did have to go out of town, but that does not preclude him from finding help, if nothing else, getting his friends or co-workers to post signs at the trail heads. 14ers.com is just about the first site you come to is you start googleing anything about mountains in Colorado. My feeling is he wrote her off, until the story popped up on 9 news. Then he knew they would eventually find him because of her rabies tag.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds