Woodworking Thread

07 Jun 2010 10:57 #31 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Woodworking Thread
Here is a jewelry cabinet that took me forever to make. My heart goes into making things, so if that feels pain, it takes away from the creative juices, hence the long time it took to make this piece. It features American cherry, tiger maple, and paddock wood together with beveled glass in the doors. Tiger maple inlay highlights the drawer fronts, The paddock forms the molding at the top and base. Drawers feature hand-cut dovetails whereas green felt lines the inside of each drawer.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jun 2010 11:28 #32 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Woodworking Thread
Beautiful!!

I have some projects that have taken a long time (most are still unfinished), not because they are nearly as involved as this, but because my projects frequently get interrupted by new projects! lol

I find it difficult to pass up the opportunity to play with a new idea :wink:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

07 Jun 2010 12:39 #33 by Rockdoc

jf1acai wrote: Beautiful!!

I have some projects that have taken a long time (most are still unfinished), not because they are nearly as involved as this, but because my projects frequently get interrupted by new projects! lol

I find it difficult to pass up the opportunity to play with a new idea :wink:

That sounds a lot like me. Actually there are days when I'll head off to do something somewhere, see something else, etc.etc. Ny the tiem the day is over I've gotten distracted by a dozen different things and gotten little done on what I set out to do. This is also why technical writing is so damn difficult for me. A million ideas keep bouncing around and it's easy to get distracted.

07 Jun 2010 21:50 - 07 Jun 2010 21:59 #34 by bailey bud
Replied by bailey bud on topic Woodworking Thread
Doc - good to see you

Been hoping you'd see this:

07 Jun 2010 21:58 #35 by bailey bud
PS - be kind ---- it's been 30 years since I did a woodworking project (merit badge in boyscouts).

Doc - this is pine ---- with some Minwax fruitwood stain.

I distressed the project (cringe), since my mentor said "it's pine --- it'll scratch easy - might as well do it yourself."

I have some Minwax wipe-on Poly that I'm debating about applying.

07 Jun 2010 23:48 #36 by Rockdoc
How wonderful to see you here. Welcome aboard 285Bound. And, thanks for posting your woodworking project. There is no project that one needs to minimize ever. We are our own worst critic and you do not need to share that with us. I think your paneled chest looks great.

Finishing work is an area I know little about, mostly I hate it even though the finish is what can make or break a piece of fine woodworking. I've decide that it is best for me to leave that to others who enjoy that kind of work.

Question for you. What do you think the wax will do for you that the poly has not already done? BTW I do have some books on finishing I could let you read. Let me know.

08 Jun 2010 06:34 #37 by bailey bud
The middle photo is chronologically the most recent - and shows the chest after I applied fruitwood stain.

Right now - it's stained - and that's it.

I keep waivering about applying additional finishing ---- either wax or poly. right now - the chest is nice, but a little dull.

The finishing stage is the part that intimidates me, the most.

08 Jun 2010 06:50 #38 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Woodworking Thread
bb-that is gorgeous! I love the fruitwood stain and did the pine doors in our house with it as well as our baseboards throughout. I did not want a shiny finish and just stained with no wax or poly over it. They are holding up fine and it's been about 3 years.

11 Jun 2010 13:17 #39 by Abner
Replied by Abner on topic Woodworking Thread

RenegadeCJ wrote: Beautiful work Rockdoc....you need to start a woodworking class up here!

I second that!

11 Jun 2010 13:19 #40 by Abner
Replied by Abner on topic Woodworking Thread
Did you create a veneer for the drawer fronts? -Beautiful!

Uploaded with [url=http://imageshack.us:uts1cc39]ImageShack.us[/url]
File Attachment:

Uploaded with [url=http://imageshack.us:uts1cc39]ImageShack.us[/url][/quote]

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds