Woodworking Thread

13 Mar 2011 23:04 #51 by bailey bud
Replied by bailey bud on topic Woodworking Thread
To make this table - I started with a wooden pallet that I recovered from the dumpster.

I cut the pallet up - removing the rot and the nails.

Then - I ran all the wood through a jointer and planer.

Cut the wood down to plan specs.

(I tapered the legs to get a touch of art)

Notice the big knot - I worked with it, instead of around it.

Voila - you get a table with character.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Mar 2011 23:06 #52 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Woodworking Thread

bailey bud wrote: Take a look at what you can do with a wooden pallet recovered from a dumpster.

(sorry rockdoc - nowhere near your level of talent - this is poor man's wood-working!)

File Attachment:

Uploaded with [url=http://imageshack.us:16nodyx4]ImageShack.us[/url]

Good for you and never apologize for your talent. How funny. Do you know I did the same thing (using wooden pallets for lumber) when I first set up a shop while in Slidell, LA? I made toys out of them, but quickly discovered that all the embedded sand grains in pallets were hell on my equipment. Did you run into similar challenges?

13 Mar 2011 23:50 #53 by bailey bud
Replied by bailey bud on topic Woodworking Thread
My big challenge --- pallet wood is a little on the brittle side. The pocket holes busted the apron three times - making me go back to the drawing board to build another apron.

The jointer didn't really get along with this wood. It was really hard to get a nice clean cut (the grain was not in an ideal orientation).

For just $50 - I could have bought 30 bd ft of alder --- and I just might do that, next time.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds