My work is done here

26 Aug 2013 12:42 #11 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic My work is done here
I'm sorry if that's how you read my post towermonkey, because that's not how I meant it at all. If you notice, all personal references identifying CV's employer were taken down - not left up. If I had a cavalier attitude, they wouldn't have been. I take personal identifiable information being posted very seriously and take care of it as soon as I see something happening. This thread that CV started is of his own accord, I wrote and suggested he remove it as he identified himself and maybe he doesn't want to do that, but it's entirely up to him.

My own personal opinion has nothing to do with how I operate this business, I merely stated that because I felt it important to let everyone know that they need to be careful if they do wish to try to remain as anonymous as possible - very few realize how much of their information is already out there. I also pointed out that we do not track anyone who registers here as we do not need to do anything of the sort to run this business. I take that privacy afforded our members seriously as well.

Edit to add: I went back and re-read my statement and this sentence caught my attention: "Does that mean that we trace you? No, it does not, that info doesn't matter to me at all to run this business."
If this is what you thought I was cavalier about, please let me explain: it's not that I don't care about my members, it's that I don't need to learn more personal details about each person in order to appreciate them being here - they will reveal who they are with their posts and I look forward to the unique viewpoint each person brings and learning what they wish to share. As I've stated before, I do not care if they are black or white, conservative or liberal, homeless or wealthy, gay or straight, religious or atheist, etc etc. What I do care about is that they feel comfortable participating here and will do my best to protect what they wish to keep private. If they themselves have put it out there, and I think it's potentially a problem, I have proactively sent PMs bringing that to their attention and suggesting that they might want to remove that information, but it's their choice and responsibility - once it's out there, it's out there. Otherwise, if someone else did that to them, I take care of it as that is stated in our TOS. Plain and simple.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Aug 2013 12:57 #12 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic My work is done here
Ah HELL, THERE IS NO ANONYMITY.............the best you can do is attempt to keep a low profile,
fly as much under the radar as possible......and STILL, if someone wants/requires information
on you....you are SCREWED......the price of being" connected" 24/7......SMARTPHONES have
changed the structure/environment/expectations of ALL....get use to it......FACE recognition
is the off shoot of Facebook,other social webs......the PRICE of technology that has gone
FAR BEYOND anyone's expectations......YOU SIGNED UP FOR IT.......so STFU. JMO

26 Aug 2013 14:52 #13 by BuyersAgent
Replied by BuyersAgent on topic My work is done here
:splat: ok I'm gonna brace myself here. :splat:

XXXXX, I feel your taking offense to the inclusion of your full name on these pages is indeed disingenuous, in fact that was the perfect word. Here's why:

1. There is a post on MMT in which you are being lauded for being the founder of PC.
2. Your first name is included in that thread and acknowledged as being yours in later responses.
3. Your public PC profile has both your full name (with the same first name as the one included in the posts on this site) and this canned signature line:
"Pinecam.com Founder" -- and in bold text to boot.

Please know that I'm trying hard to see this diplomatically and conclude you've been wrongly "outed" by somebody, but failed. This is not to say that I don't recognize that "tangelo" seems to have acted in a mean-spirited way by directly pointing out the existence of the thread on PC, only that the info does not (as SC says) seem protected to begin with.

I'd agree that any information about one's employment should be off limits although again, people often offer that information to add credibility to their opinions, e.g., "I am a telephone installer for XXX Co., and know that the lines at XYZ Road are bad." Having offered that info, I feel it should be fair game...not the name of the employer, but rather the skill level the position reasonably represents. It's for this reason that when commenting as "BuyersAgent" on a thread involving RE issues that I might be able to generally address, I always include the statement that I'm not an attorney and almost always affirmatively point them toward counsel...both because there is a certain "reasonable reliance" factor and I would not want to be mistaken as holding more of a credential than I actually have, and in acknowledgement that my license prohibits certain personal activities wherever and however they occur.

Kathy G. Hansen
Broker/Owner
COLORADO HIGHLIGHTS REALTY
303-761-4046

26 Aug 2013 18:19 #14 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic My work is done here
If CV doesn't feel comfortable here, then he doesn't feel comfortable here. It's not SC's fault, it's not the board, it's the posters - I too have recieved literally dozens of death threats over the years. I always get the "We/I know who you are and where you live" PM's, and one guy even PM'd me saying my children look'd happy today (in my yard) through the scope of his high powered rifle.. My wife has begged me to quit posting my opinions on these backwood rightwingnut boards, but I always wanted to leave on my own terms. This is America and nobody (but perhaps the NSA, CIA, or FBI) is going to stop me from voicing my opinion!

CV, I got some new ideas, PM me

26 Aug 2013 19:21 #15 by Pony Soldier
Replied by Pony Soldier on topic My work is done here
SC, I had to come back and add one more post. The reason your post was cavalier, not just one sentence, but the entire post, was that you stated the board's policy then went into details about why you think it isn't important. Well, I for one, do think it is important to protect privacy. Regardless of Homeagain's BS rant, I expect privacy when I post on these boards and thought that's what the policy was, but then read your post about how you think it is disingenuous for CV to expect it because he's a public figure. I disagree. How is he different than anyone else here on this board? A lot of us know where he works and what he does for a living, but would never stoop to posting it. A poster who does so should be quarantined at the very least. I have had letters written to my employer before over these stupid local boards and don't wish to repeat that. I now don't know if you even believe in your own TOS after that post.

adios

26 Aug 2013 19:54 #16 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic My work is done here
Buh bye. :wave:

The silent majority will be silent no more.

26 Aug 2013 20:06 #17 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic My work is done here
Remember the nutjob who lost his job over his stunt at the Chick-Fil-A drive through window? When you, yourself, put personal information out there, including both your first and last names, and you post a resume elsewhere on the same internet, you want to complain about your lack of privacy on a public message board? Really? Google W**** H******* Pinecam and on the very first page I get a return that shows where he works from a piece that he did that was posted on ZoomInfo.com, including a street address of his employer and the positions he has held there. When the information is literally a couple mouse clicks away, how reasonable is the outrage displayed? Not very IMNTBHO.

In many ways it is very similar to a reality TV star, or a professional athlete, or an on-air local TV personality complaining that they can't go anywhere without being approached by fans or hecklers. If you desire anonymity, then don't let people know the nic at the site is you. Seems pretty simple, doesn't it? When you graciously, or ungratiously as the case may be, accept the compliments offered to you by others under your screen name, it's pretty hard to claim you wanted anonymity, isn't it?

26 Aug 2013 20:16 #18 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic My work is done here
She did protect his privacy by removing links and information from the posts.
She stated the policy of the board and she gave her personal opinion in regards to CV. She isn't entitled to do that? WTH.

26 Aug 2013 20:51 #19 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic My work is done here
IMO,SC handled it very well.

The whiner wants the best of all possible worlds for himself, while not being willing to accept any responsibility for himself.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

26 Aug 2013 23:16 #20 by Reverend Revelant

towermonkey wrote: SC, I had to come back and add one more post. The reason your post was cavalier, not just one sentence, but the entire post, was that you stated the board's policy then went into details about why you think it isn't important. Well, I for one, do think it is important to protect privacy. Regardless of Homeagain's BS rant, I expect privacy when I post on these boards and thought that's what the policy was, but then read your post about how you think it is disingenuous for CV to expect it because he's a public figure. I disagree. How is he different than anyone else here on this board? A lot of us know where he works and what he does for a living, but would never stoop to posting it. A poster who does so should be quarantined at the very least. I have had letters written to my employer before over these stupid local boards and don't wish to repeat that. I now don't know if you even believe in your own TOS after that post.

adios

This is typical big brother bull sh*t. It's not enough that SC has rules and she follows them, but her PERSONAL opinion has to square up with the mind control folks.

I'm the one who committed the TOS violation, not SC... and SC did the right thing, she followed the rules... her rules as stated in the TOS.

But dammit... she's entitled to her own personal opinion about privacy and the internet.

So sorry you didn't succeed in controlling her. I suspect that you know a forum that demands everyone to goose-step to their ideological views. It's just a mouse click away. Try it... you'll like it.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds