Colorado Natural Gas RECENT Rate Increase

23 Jan 2014 18:34 #31 by HappyCamper
Just an FYI Costco had the Eden Pure heaters when we were there this Saturday. I know they are more expensive but I believe they are more efficient.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jan 2014 19:28 - 24 Jan 2014 05:50 #32 by LOL

HappyCamper wrote: I personally think this bites as Colorado has not seen the severe cold that say Chicago has.

To me this is like price gouging before a hurricane I would think that local propane companies should not charge more until they run out of the lower rate that they bought and move to the more expensive propane to fill their supply but that is just my opinion.

The only problem with your theory is they (suppliers) have committed to some customers a guaranteed price on a monthly budget plan for 12 months. I suppose they could hedge that with futures contracts, not sure how it works. So the other customers have to pay up.

Regarding efficiency of electric heaters, they are all basically 100%, but the comfort factor is better with radiant heat vs. forced air, sorta like sunshine... it feels good! :)
I suppose models with a fan lose some efficiency, but pretty small.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

23 Jan 2014 19:29 #33 by gmule

RidgeWay wrote: When you cut wood look at the exercise you get and even a plus if you are doing wildfire mitigation at the same time. Maybe wood isn't as efficient but neither are many of the homes that are 2x4 construction and not much insulation. If we were really cost conscious and environmentally concerned more people would have builders face the main rooms south to take advantage of the sun and really reduce costs.

I have to agree with you. There are a lot of intangibles that go along with burning cord wood for heat.
Either way I am going to have use my time to purchase fuel for heat if I am sitting at a desk or out in the woods cutting firewood. The quality of the tools used to cut and process firewood matter as well. Top of the line chainsaws and hydraulic splitters increase your productivity and effectively reduce the amount of time spent cutting wood making firewood cheaper if you can do it yourself. Woodstoves have greatly improved as well. My new stove has a 80% efficiency rating this new efficiency means I need less wood to heat the same area. What my new stove uses in 8 hours my old stove burned every hour.

With the price of propane rising the way it is you could buy a nice new woodstove at 3k and it will pay for itself in 90 days. The last time I purchased propane was February of 2011.

23 Jan 2014 20:21 #34 by Venturer
It seems that every year some propane companies will raise rates and then talk to customers about stopping further increases by purchasing a one year plan. My family doesn't bite. Prices usually come back down about the time they need a refill. Best move is to not have to refill during the winter if at all possible.

24 Jan 2014 06:56 #35 by FredHayek
We bought a 1000 gallon tank to supplement our 500 so now we just try to buy when it is lowest.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Jan 2014 14:31 #36 by HappyCamper
Customers that signed a cap agreement with Independent Propane say they got letters saying that the cap cannot be honored.

Our friends called Bailey on Friday they were still at $3.87

26 Jan 2014 09:57 #37 by Venturer
So much for Independent Propane if it is true. Looks like they shot themselves royally in the foot. A boon for other propane companies.

26 Jan 2014 10:58 #38 by LOL
Force Majeure???

So much for any advantages of a rate cap contract. Now they are stuck with a high monthly bill going forward, or is it after the next fill-up?

I agree best option is a big <donkey> tank, filled up in Sept.! Or get a pellet stove!

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

26 Jan 2014 14:22 #39 by Blazer Bob

LOL wrote: Force Majeure???

So much for any advantages of a rate cap contract. Now they are stuck with a high monthly bill going forward, or is it after the next fill-up?

I agree best option is a big <donkey> tank, filled up in Sept.! Or get a pellet stove!

A few years ago there was a pellet shortage.

26 Jan 2014 23:44 #40 by Blazer Bob
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01 ... dwest?lite

"By Erik Ortiz, Staff Writer, NBC News
America’s chronic cold is creating a significant propane shortage across the Midwest — leading Wisconsin to become the latest state to declare an energy emergency in advance of more arctic air blasting eastward this week.

Freezing temperatures, snowfall and delayed flights are just some of what an arctic air mass has brought the country.
Some 14 million Americans who rely on that type of fuel have been shelling out more and more to heat their homes while the strong demand has outpaced the already-low inventories, energy officials say.
Twenty-four states, including Ohio, Illinois and Alabama, have already declared energy emergencies — which helps to loosen transportation rules so that out-of-state truckers can drive longer hours to make needed propane deliveries. "...

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds