Please read if you are concerned about the accidents on 285

22 Mar 2015 10:15 #1 by HappyCamper
I just spoke with Johnathan Gonzales and 9 News will have a crew including him at the Kum and Go around 1:00 today and would love to interview people.

I have a prior commitment but if you want to see change happen on this road please head down so that all of viewers of 9 news can see the concern we have about 285 and maybe change will happen.

Thanks to those of you that can make it!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Mar 2015 10:26 #2 by HappyCamper
Here is Jonathan's email if you have emails to CDOT that might help him with this story I am sure he would love to get them.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

22 Mar 2015 11:26 #3 by deltamrey
Data on volume of traffic say over 10 years and accidents would be helpful. We have adequate law enforcement on 285 , but weather and configuration (haphazard growth) make it dangerous. Pleased media is getting involved. Cutting speed limit to 45 MPH may help.

22 Mar 2015 14:30 #4 by PrintSmith
I can tell you that traffic volume in 2000 was about 20K cars daily during the week, roughly 25K per day on the weekends and that accidents were roughly double the number seen on similar stretches of road according to the report that was generated that recommended putting in the bridge at Shaffer's. I would have to believe that the daily number of vehicles on the road has only increased since then and we are seeing a minimum of 25K vehicles per day during the week now.

Reducing the speed limit isn't going to affect road speed according to every study conducted on the impacts of lowering speed limits. People drive at a speed they feel safe and comfortable regardless of what the black and white sign says. Near Sourdough the speed limit is 55 and traffic is humming along at 70+. Average speed through the Luge is closer to 55 than it is to 45. At present the traffic near Shaffer's is moving at roughly the speed limit that is posted, which means for once the 85% rule seems to have been adhered to. Lower the speed limit to 45 and all that will happen is that it will mirror what is currently happening in the Luge. Unless, of course, you station a Trooper or a Jeffco Sheriff there like Morrison stations one of their officers at a designated point in the Luge nearly every hour of the day; and that simply isn't going to happen in an unincorporated area of Jefferson County.

22 Mar 2015 14:49 #5 by intheaspens
Another accident in that area (at Calfee) as we speak.

People don't watch for side road traffic in particular and don't watch the road in general - nothing CDOT can do about that. I'd be willing to bet that most of the accidents that happen at Shaffer's are due to distracted drivers. How can you miss all those signs for the 'Exit Only' and the double yellow line?

22 Mar 2015 14:53 #6 by deltamrey
Annnnnnd the answer is (given no $$$$ for cops, increased traffic , more folks living here)......drive defensively. Stay off in bad weather......let the fools run up our insurance and spend a lot of time in the hospitals. Any other suggestions folks ??

22 Mar 2015 15:47 #7 by MountainTownAlerts
Just posted on our Facebook Page:

Jon Keyser · ‎My Mountain Town · 1 min

As your State Representative, I will be meeting with CDOT and demanding action re: improving safety in the 285 Corridor. Send me an email if you would like to receive updates: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by accidents this weekend.

22 Mar 2015 15:54 #8 by HappyCamper

MountainTownAlerts wrote: Just posted on our Facebook Page:

Jon Keyser · ‎My Mountain Town · 1 min

As your State Representative, I will be meeting with CDOT and demanding action re: improving safety in the 285 Corridor. Send me an email if you would like to receive updates: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by accidents this weekend.

So glad they are starting to take notice I encourage everyone to keep posting and sending their comments to those in elected office.

I drive this road almost everyday of the week as do many of us and this is just getting out of hand.

Thank you MMT for posting on facebook and twitter!!!!!!

22 Mar 2015 16:14 #9 by ScienceChic
Jonathan was very nice and spent over an hour meeting with everyone. We drove down to Parker Rd after meeting at Kings Valley, and they shot footage that should be showing on the 5 o'clock news tonight. They are attempting to get hold of the driver to see if they can get their perspective on how this happened. Their goal is to bring awareness to this issue so we can make some changes happen.

Please do email any of your own stories to Jonathan - he said they've been flooded with many, and do welcome more.

One of the people who came that I spoke with was one of the first travelers to stop at the accident last night. She and her husband are very shaken up by what they witnessed, and gave some awful details which I will not be sharing. It is her mission now to effect change - she never wants to see anything like this happen again.

I spoke with another witness who drove by after it happened, but before the emergency crews had arrived, and he said that he saw several people who were flagging down cars, flashing lights, etc, trying to warn others to slow down, be safe, etc. He was very proud of our community and how they stepped up to help before emergency crews could arrive.

I'm also going to be contacting Commissioner Rosier and Senator Jared Polis.
If you'd like to get hold of them as well, you can reach them at:
Commissioner Rosier: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 303-271-8525 (office)
Congressman Jared Polis: polis.house.gov/forms/writeyourrep/default.aspx or (202) 225-2161 (Washington office)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

22 Mar 2015 17:06 #10 by MountainTownAlerts
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds