Please read if you are concerned about the accidents on 285

13 Apr 2015 14:30 #31 by PrintSmith
Seems like, with the exception of the middle 8' being grassy according to Harelson at CDOT and concrete according to Keyser, and the chevrons, everyone is on the same page with what is going to be happening this summer.

Where they are going to mount chevrons is a question for me. In the Luge they have a solid barrier to mount the signs on. With a cable barrier, I'm not so certain. If they mount those on the cables, what impact would that have when a vehicle hits the barrier? If mounted at the top of the posts, same thing. And if they mount them on their own poles behind the barrier for one direction of travel there's a double whammy. Not only might those posts have an effect on the operation of the barrier when struck, vehicles going the other direction, should they wind up in the median for any reason, are going to strike those poles before striking the barrier, which could also effect the barrier's performance if it is struck.

I discount Keyser saying that the cable barrier will be "in the middle" of the depressed median for the simple fact that a cable barrier is always closer to the side where it is anticipated is most likely to be struck by traffic.

Anyone planning on going to the meeting on the 15th? I'm going to do my best to be in attendance so I can see what these folks are planning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Apr 2015 15:04 #32 by ScienceChic
I'm always at the Town Hall Meetings videotaping them - come say hi! :wave:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Apr 2015 11:59 #33 by PrintSmith
If I get to the meeting I'll be certain to do just that.

27 Jun 2015 09:39 #34 by Mountain-News-Events
An Update from Jon Keyser

As your State Representative, I have been working hard to help facilitate a meaningful solution to the safety issue that we know exists at Shaffers Crossing. It hasn't been easy. I just got off the phone with the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT), and here is the latest update:

A few weeks ago, CDOT opened a competitive bidding process for the construction of permanent cable barriers, a depressed concrete median, rumble strips, and traffic control at Shaffers Crossing. The estimated project cost was estimated to be under $500,000. Two construction companies requested copies of the plans, but unfortunately, CDOT did not receive any bids to complete the construction. CDOT speculates this could be due to a variety of reasons including a very busy season for highway construction companies and the fact that the project is relatively small for a highway construction project.

When CDOT did not receive any bids, it re-posted the bid under its emergency contracting procedures. CDOT officials tell me that they expect to receive bids under these emergency contracting procedures, and proposals for completing this work are due by July 8th. CDOT says construction would start soon thereafter, once the bids are received and finalized and the contractor is selected.

I am deeply disappointed about this delay, and today, I'm doubling down on my commitment to help solve this problem for our community. I am continuing to be in close contact with CDOT officials and the Governor's office. They both assure me that they, too, are committed to making Shaffers Crossing safer for our community and will ensure this work is completed.

I will continue to provide updates as they become available. As always, please contact me with any concerns or questions.

Signature
Jon Keyser
Representative for HD 25
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | PO Box 1168 | Morrison, CO 80465
www.facebook.com/KeyserforColorado
twitter.com/Jon_Keyser

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

27 Jun 2015 11:20 - 27 Jun 2015 11:21 #35 by ZHawke
I'm still not sure why large ---- very large ---- overhead signage in both directions far enough out from Shaffer's Crossing isn't being considered. Painting on the highway itself just doesn't do it. I've also talked to several who find the current "barriers" disconcerting as they enter "the zone". Just yesterday as we were turning off onto the exit at Shaffer's Crossing, a car following us also started going down the exit and suddenly realized that isn't what they wanted to do. The veering back onto the highway they had to do could have, and would have, been dangerous if there had been traffic behind their vehicle. The overhead signage at Richmond Hill is also a problem as it's entirely too small for anyone unfamiliar with the merge point to really be able to see in time.

Thinking these things should be considered as part of any remedial safety and construction improvements.

27 Jun 2015 11:40 #36 by mountaindollar
Maybe you could email your suggestion to Jon it can't hurt.

27 Jun 2015 12:13 #37 by ZHawke
Will do. Thanks.

27 Jun 2015 12:19 #38 by ZHawke

22 Jul 2015 10:15 #39 by Mountain-News-Events
An Update from Representative Jon Keyser:

Today, I have some good news to report. The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) just contacted me to let me know that the Transportation Commission received, and approved, a bid to complete the Shaffers Crossing safety improvement construction project. According to CDOT, the final paperwork will be completed this week, and barring any unanticipated delays, we can expect construction to begin on HWY 285 as soon as next week.

As you can read from all of our previous email updates below, this has been somewhat of a long and difficult process. I sincerely appreciate the hundreds of supportive emails and phone calls I've received from members of our community. Like most issues we deal with down at the State Legislature, this isn't a partisan issue-it is a public safety issue. I'll continue to press forward until the last shovel leaves the ground and the project is complete. I look forward to continuing to serve you and represent your interests down at the Capitol.

Jon Keyser
Representative for HD 25

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

22 Jul 2015 16:24 #40 by Photo-fish
YAY!!!

More traffic delays just in time for the end of summer.

BTW on my daily commute back to Bailey I have notice the traffic speed coming into Shaffers Crossing is on average right at 45 mph.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds