Please read if you are concerned about the accidents on 285

23 Mar 2015 17:30 #21 by deltamrey
Jon.....thank you for your attention. Chick your condolences are well appreciated.

Jon IF you need help here I have the time and inclination to volunteer. I had an accident on 11/11/11 at the Parker intersection (no damage, no injuries) because I had to dodge a pick up that ran me off the road......all documented FYI. The area is very dangerous and competent highway engineers can address this with ease IMHO. My e-mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Mar 2015 14:08 #22 by MountainTownAlerts
Some comments have been made in some local groups that after this lowering of the speed limit on Highway 285 at Shaffer's Crossing, aggressive drivers tailgating and speeding around drivers who are obeying the speed limit change has gotten worse. Please be aware that about half a mile past Kings Valley Dr heading southbound, and just before the 'Welcome to Conifer' sign going northbound, that the speed limit does drop to 45 and the Jeffco police are enforcing it. There were two patrol cars out today in that stretch, one sitting on Parker Rd across from Elk Creek Elementary, and two vehicles pulled over just outside of that stretch.

Attachments:

27 Mar 2015 15:19 - 27 Mar 2015 15:23 #23 by MountainTownAlerts
Some comments on our Facebook page post about this:

Speed limit change is not changing people's driving habits, now instead of driving 10 mph over the speed limit, they are going 20 over. I think Jeffco SO should patrol this area like Morrison PD patrols their section of 285.

Reducing the speed limit, not that anyone will obey the newly posted speed limit, is a bandaid on this deadly problem! 2 vehicles traveling towards each other @ 45 mph = 90 mph into a brick wall! What if your riding a motorcycle like those 2 innocent Americans last week. 45 mph or 55 mph you are dead! CDOT, fix the dam problem before other innocents pay the ultimate price for your incompetence! This section of highway 285, was not designed nor constructed properly, probably to save $. What is the price tag for those Americans who died last week? Yes, it's great that the sheriffs dept. is patrolling and writing tickets, thank you! The issue, your not proactively stopping speeding, your catching them after the fact. This only benefits the county by bringing in revenue! Wow, does anyone in our government do the right thing for the right reasons ... NOT!

Yep most locals are not obeying the new speed limit. From what I've observed. Felt like I was going to be rear ended this morning going northbound.

they should be pulling over EVER distracted driver and the fines should be $1000 and 30 days impounded car. Maybe THAT would get some attention. I mean it, seriously

If only they would patrol it as heavily as they do in Turkey Creek Canyon...hardly anyone dares speed in the canyon...there is almost always a patrol car pulling people over in there.

27 Mar 2015 17:59 #24 by HappyCamper
I saw the road rage first hand yesterday, there were to cars in front of me first car was going 45 (headed toward Bailey) the second car a full size older Bronco honked his horn the entire way down the hill then gave the other driver the finger as he zoomed past them at the bottom.

If I had been the first driver I would have started going 10 mph just to make a point.

Very sorry that drivers have to be this way you will never please everyone just hope they will fix the road in a manner that makes it safe for all.

28 Mar 2015 06:59 #25 by intheaspens
Sad but not surprising. While lowering the speed limit seems a prudent thing to do I fear that just exacerbates the problem as you have observed.

The barriers may help a bit. I think the biggest problem is people playing with their phones and whatever other toys they happen to have in their cars. Don't quite understand how it's so difficult for some to see that big, bright double-yellow line and stay on their side of it. Hope they paint those barriers hi-viz or we'll have cars bouncing off of them into the folks in the legal lane.

28 Mar 2015 15:07 #26 by PrintSmith

MountainTownAlerts wrote: Some comments on our Facebook page post about this:

Speed limit change is not changing people's driving habits, now instead of driving 10 mph over the speed limit, they are going 20 over. I think Jeffco SO should patrol this area like Morrison PD patrols their section of 285.

Yep most locals are not obeying the new speed limit. From what I've observed. Felt like I was going to be rear ended this morning going northbound.

If only they would patrol it as heavily as they do in Turkey Creek Canyon...hardly anyone dares speed in the canyon...there is almost always a patrol car pulling people over in there.

And all of this is an entirely predictable result of attempting to implement a subjectively chosen speed limit. Research into the issue shows that 10% of drivers choose their speed according to what the sign says, the other 90% of drivers simply operate their vehicle at a speed the feel comfortable and safe traveling at. This is why the accepted means of determining a speed limit for a given section of road is to do a speed study on that section and then set the speed limit at the speed that 85% of the drivers are operating their vehicles at or below. When the speed limit is set in accordance with objective data instead of subjective feelings you automatically achieve 85% compliance with the speed limit. Deviate from this model and there will be less than 50% compliance. Not my opinion, the result of numerous studies over decades of time that examined this very question.

With regards to Revenue Corner (MM247) in Turkey Creek Canyon, what you have there is people slowing down long enough to verify whether the revenue agent is present or not and then choosing a speed accordingly. If the revenue agent is present the slower speed is maintained, if absent the throttle receives more pressure and "normal" speed is resumed.

28 Mar 2015 18:17 - 28 Mar 2015 18:18 #27 by MountainTownAlerts
From Jonathan Gonzales at 9News:
CDOT rethinks barrier option on U.S. 285
Jonathan Gonzalez, 10:29 p.m. MDT March 27, 2015

CONIFER -- Just four days after the Colorado Department of Transportation announced it would build a concrete barrier through parts of Highway 285, a CDOT official told 9NEWS the barrier is now merely one solution option the department is currently considering.

On Monday, CDOT announced the concrete barrier would be installed on a 700-foot stretch of the highway northeast of Shaffer's Crossing. A news release said the project would begin in the next few weeks at a cost of roughly $250,000. "We're definitely looking into a barrier, and I think at that point it sounded like the best option, but we really need to make sure that whatever we put in there is the safest for drivers in that area."

When asked what other possible solutions the department is currently considering, WIlfong did not specify. She said the department is working with the Federal Highway Administration on the issue.

29 Mar 2015 19:49 - 29 Mar 2015 19:51 #28 by ScienceChic
Jon Keyser's Most Recent Email Update:

First, thank you for being actively involved in our community. So far, we have had over 450 local residents sign the petition to make sure CDOT addresses the transportation safety issue that exists at Shaffers Crossing. Here is an update on this situation:

1. As you have probably noticed, CDOT reduced the speed limit to 45 MPH.

2. CDOT plans to continue to use "variable message systems" to encourage drivers to slow down and remain vigilant.

3. Local law enforcement and the Colorado State Patrol have stepped up patrols along HWY 285--expect to see more of that, particularly on the weekends.

4. CDOT announced that it would be sending out a request for bids to construct a physical barrier, dividing the directions of traffic at Shaffers Crossing. However, CDOT officials have informed me that the bid request did not go out as planned this week. CDOT officials said they are further evaluating the scope of the project and coordinating with federal highway authorities. Although the bid request did not go out as scheduled, CDOT insists that we can expect to see construction begin in the May/June time frame.

I am disappointed to report that CDOT's previously announced bid request did not go out this week, as planned. However, this underscores the importance of organizing, as a community, to make sure we see progress and a permanent solution to this problem. I am in very frequent communications with CDOT officials, including the Executive Director, and I won't let up until we see results.

Please forward the petition to 5 other members of our community.

Thank you,
Jon

Below is the message I sent on March 25th

As your State Representative, I want you to know that I am committed to making sure we see meaningful progress and positive steps to resolve this important safety issue that exists at Shaffers Crossing. Thank your for expressing your interest and involvement in finding a solution.

Here are the actions I have taken so far:

1. I started with a Monday morning conference call with Jefferson County Commissioner Don Rosier. Commissioner Rosier and I are both committed to resolving this safety issue, and we will be working together to coordinate efforts at the local level to make (out of town) folks aware of the danger that exists at Shaffers Crossing.

2. I sent an official letter to the Executive Director of CDOT asking for the Executive Director's immediate help and cooperation.

3. I met with CDOT officials for an in-depth discussion on the path forward. I believe that meeting was very productive. CDOT indicated that it has carefully reviewed possible options and believes the most appropriate way to address this problem is to install approximately 700 feet of permanent barriers and an impact attenuator to prevent people from crossing the double yellow line into oncoming traffic. In the news, it has been reported that the barriers will be in place in "a couple of weeks." To be clear, CDOT did not tell me they would have construction starting in "a couple of weeks." They told me that CDOT will be opening up a competitive bidding process this week, and that we can expect construction to begin in the May/June time-frame. After carefully listening to the concerns of the members of our community, I asked that CDOT broaden their scope of possible corrective actions and consider factors like speed limits, signage, visibility going around the corner and digital/electronic signage. I asked whether they would need additional funds to broaden the scope of possible corrective actions, and they indicated that they can accomplish these things without a separate appropriation. I will work to make sure your TABOR tax refunds will not be affected by the construction of this project. On Monday afternoon, CDOT publicly announced that they would be installing the barriers.

4. Also on Monday afternoon, I issued a press release and spoke to reporters about Shaffers Crossing. I emphasized that I am focused on results, and I am optimistic that we are moving in the right direction to solve this problem. I also emphasized that this is part of a bigger effort-both traffic safety and our transportation infrastructure need to be addressed. Our House District includes the 285 Corridor and the I-70 Corridor, and I am committed to working to bring together the necessary parties to help solve these difficult problems we face.

5. I spoke at length with the Executive Director of CDOT, who gave me his personal commitment to make sure we will see the barriers constructed and that they will evaluate a host of additional measures that may be used to improve safety at Shaffers Crossing. The Executive Director emphasized that they are moving this process along as quick as possible, but people should not expect to see barriers erected in the next couple of weeks. However, in the mean time, they are putting into place additional electronic signage to advise those not familiar with Shaffers Crossing of the danger ahead.

6. I spoke with Sheriff Jeff Shrader, and the Sheriff's office is very engaged in this issue and will be working with State Patrol to step up patrols. Until the barriers are completed, we can expect to see additional law enforcement and electronic signage to help manage traffic through Shaffers Crossing.

7. Last night, we set up a petition to make sure CDOT follows through on its promise. By 10am, we had more than 200 signatures on the petition. Many of you expressed deep concerns with past promises by CDOT. Please make sure you sign the petition, so CDOT knows that we care about this issue and want to see results. If you have not already signed the petition, please sign the petition by clicking on this link. Also, please forward the petition to 5 friends in the area and ask them to sign the petition, too.

As your Representative, I am fully committed to working on this issue and will continue to be in contact with CDOT. I will continue to provide updates as they become available.

As always, please contact me any time you have any questions or concerns.
Jon Keyser
Representative for HD 25
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | PO Box 1168
Morrison, CO 80465
Facebook: www.facebook.com/KeyserforColorado
Twitter: twitter.com/Jon_Keyser

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

04 Apr 2015 12:47 #29 by PrintSmith
Sharing the contents of a recent email I received from Steve Harelson::

My apologies for the delay in responding-I did not have a firm answer to your question until late yesterday. Our initial plans for the barrier placed the concrete barrier in the middle of a 14' striped median. As has been discussed, the barrier would introduce an obstacle to traffic at its upper end. We would put an "impact attenuator" across this blunt end to mitigate that problem, but it's still not a great solution. There is also the snowplowing issue, and the black ice formation that has also been discussed. Where we are heading now is to construct a depressed median, extending about 700 feet above the existing painted median. On the southbound side, there would be the yellow stripe on the left hand side of the lane, a 4 foot paved "shy" distance to the depressed median, a cable guardrail on the southbound side of the depressed median, an 8 foot depressed grassy median, and a 2 foot "shy" distance to the northbound lanes. The depressed median would carry the nuisance snowmelt flows down to the storm drains, rather than sheet flowing (and freezing) across the travel lanes. The exit lane will be shorter than it is currently, but will not be as short as it was in the original configuration.

Independent of that effort, we are also exploring some grading options on the rock cut. We would like to cut that back to increase the visibility of the interchange, as well as provide a longer exit lane and widened shoulders. Funding for that work has not been approved. The median work has been funded, and we are hoping to get it under construction later this spring.

CDOT will be at the Conifer Area Council Meeting on April 15, at the West Jefferson Middle School to discuss this issue, and we will bring some pictures of what is planned.

Thanks

Steve

--
Stephen Harelson, P.E.
West Program Engineer
Region One

P 720.497.6913 C 303.916.1702 | F 720.497.6901
425B Corporate Circle, Golden, CO 80401
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | www.coloradodot.info | www.cotrip.org

11 Apr 2015 16:20 #30 by Mountain-News-Events
From Jon Keyser:

We have about 25 days left in this year's legislative session, and although we are very busy at the Capitol, I am continuing to work hard on brokering a solution for Shaffers Crossing. Nearly 600 members of our community have joined with me in this process by signing our petition to ensure CDOT takes appropriate action. After multiple meetings, calls, and emails this week, here's the latest on what is happening at Shaffers Crossing:

1. This week, CDOT completed a safety study of Shaffers Crossing. The study indicated exactly what so many of you already know-accidents have dramatically increased after the interchange construction was completed a few years ago.

2. CDOT is moving forward with additional safety measures for the area around Shaffers Crossing. According to CDOT officials, the plan currently includes the following:

a. An 8 foot depressed concrete slope paved median (intended to provide a visual contrast) with a cable rail in the center;

b. The depressed median will extend 700 feet to the northeast from the current depressed median, and will have painted transition median;

c. Going southbound, a yellow fog line will be 4 feet from the median, and northbound, it will be 2 feet from median;

d. Rumble strips will be milled at the edge of the concrete depressed median; and

e. Chevrons will be installed in the median to direct southbound traffic around the curve.

3. CDOT says construction will begin after plans are finalized and federal highway authorization is obtained-right now, they anticipate a July 7th start date for construction, which will last for about one month.

4. You have probably already noticed the signage changes. CDOT tells me they will also temporarily install plastic reflective delineation posts.

5. Please join me in thanking Jefferson County Sheriff, Jeff Shrader, for dramatically stepping up patrols in the area.

Mark your calendar: On Wednesday, April 15th, starting at 7pm at West Jefferson Middle School, CDOT's Regional Director, Tony DeVito, will be formally presenting CDOT's plans for Shaffers Crossing during the Conifer Area Council Town Hall meeting. CDOT also tells me they will be sending 4-5 individuals to answer questions and listen to concerns. Please join me by attending this town hall event!

I look forward to seeing you on April 15th!
-Jon

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds