Please read if you are concerned about the accidents on 285

22 Mar 2015 21:17 - 22 Mar 2015 21:26 #11 by MyMountainTown
Per Donald Rosier ‏@DonaldRosier • 1 minute ago
Assembling Jeffco staff and CDOT representatives to find a solution for Shaffers Crossing. @MyMountainTown @Jon_Keyser @RepJaredPolis

In response to this tweet we tagged him earlier:

We also wanted to remind you that CDOT always attends the Conifer Town Hall Meetings put on by the Conifer Area Council and gives updates on issues and projects affecting our area, and we always videotape those meetings in order to make the information available for those who can't attend. This was their update at the February 2015 meeting, it starts at the 2 minute mark.

All of those Conifer Town Hall videos are posted in this thread .

Proudly serving mountain Jeffco, Clear Creek & Park County!
You can also find & connect with us on:
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedIn

720-608-0285
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Mar 2015 10:42 #12 by Mountain-News-Events
The victims and driver of the Jeep have now been named.

Motorcyclist, passenger killed in accident on U.S. 285
Collision occurred near Shaffers Crossing
By Gabrielle Porter
Monday, March 23, 2015

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

23 Mar 2015 11:41 #13 by deltamrey
My recently deceased spouse (not 285 related BTW) had a head on collision in that area several years ago. A VEHICLE CAME ACROSS THE MEDIAN AND HIT HER HEAD ON (I KNOW OF NO MORE DETAILS). THIS WAS WELL BEFORE THE INTERSECTION WAS RECONFIGURED. US285 is a very dangerous road with many intersections that are essentially unlimited access. I had on 11/11/11 (yes) an accident (no damage or injuries) at the Parker road intersection just beyond Shaffers Crossing.....I slid off at the intersection because of the sharp turn and slid over the embankment. I turned sharply to avoid a rear end collision. Close call.....IMHO the speed limit in the area should be limited to no more than 40mph......and possibly a stop light installed well before the intersection. Changes to the intersection obviously have not stopped the carnage.

23 Mar 2015 12:10 #14 by intheaspens
I agree with the speed limit reduction. How much good will it actually do?? My guess not much.

I would be willing to bet that the majority of these crashes w/drivers crossing the center line are caused by inattention/distraction that could easily be avoided by a) putting down one's electronic toys and b) DRIVE THE CAR WITH FULL ATTENTION. If one is unsure of what's around a corner there's a simple solution. Slow down and pay attention! CDOT can put up all the signs and paint and barriers in the world but if the driver is playing with their phone it ain't gonna help.

It's an incredibly sorry state of affairs to me that innocent people lose their lives because drivers are too selfish to give the road their undivided attention.

23 Mar 2015 12:20 #15 by deltamrey
Agree......no amount of road modifications and law enforcement is to be a solution. Insurance rates in our area will be impacted....sad situation.

23 Mar 2015 13:24 - 23 Mar 2015 13:25 #16 by cydl
Just saw a tweet from 7 news that CDOT intends to install 700 ft. of Jersey Barrier...

story

23 Mar 2015 13:33 #17 by deltamrey
Read the story.....partially true. There have been accidents in that area many times.....see my earlier post. My family had two of no fault of my family. Keep insurances up to date is a best bet.

23 Mar 2015 16:13 #18 by MyMountainTown
deltamrey, our deepest condolences on the loss of your spouse.

Thank you for the article cydl, we have quite the discussion happening about it on our Facebook page too.

Here is the update from Jon Keyser:
Jon Keyser · 26 mins

I had a very productive meeting this morning with Colorado Department of Transportation and they are listening. Now, we need to make sure we stay laser-focused on solving the problem at Shaffers Crossing so we actually see results.

Email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you would like to be notified about our progress so far! My Mountain Town

720-608-0285
Attachments:

23 Mar 2015 16:52 #19 by MyMountainTown
Jon Keyser · 12 mins

As your State Representative I am working hard to make sure CDOT follows through to solve this critical transportation safety issue at Shaffers Crossing. In the wake of two severe accidents over the weekend the time for action is now. Click below to sign the petition to ensure CDOT improves Highway 285.

docs.google.com/forms/d/1EszMig2QnuPia-N...obuJwgz69aM/viewform

720-608-0285

23 Mar 2015 17:20 #20 by PrintSmith

MyMountainTown wrote: Per Donald Rosier ‏@DonaldRosier • 1 minute ago
Assembling Jeffco staff and CDOT representatives to find a solution for Shaffers Crossing. @MyMountainTown @Jon_Keyser @RepJaredPolis

In response to this tweet we tagged him earlier:

OK, I'm going to say it - it's tough to lead the parade when you have to run to catch up to it. What the man should be doing is apologizing for nothing being done until now even though he is new to his seat and promising that such inattention won't be allowed on his watch. Nice to see him taking up the standard that his constituents have been carrying on their own for the last 4 years, but "I'll lead"? Please.

That said, a heartfelt thanks to him for his sacrifices in Afghanistan and Iraq and a hearty "Welcome to the Bandwagon" for his decision to join the citizens and residents of his district in their efforts. For that he does indeed deserve our thanks, it's more than his predecessor, Cheri Gerou, ever did.

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds