RIP Walter Newton

30 Apr 2022 12:20 #1 by ScienceChic
Though we had a falling out during the investigation into Maggie Long’s death and hadn’t spoken since then, I always appreciated Walter’s sharp wit, incredibly dry, wry sense of humor, complete irreverence, and dedication to the arts and the unusual. He started here trolling people, but he and I eventually met and became friends for a while. When he had a play that he’d adapted get chosen for a run down at The Miner’s Alley in Golden, “I Never Promised You A Rose Garden,” he not only advertised it here, but he invited me to the opening night. He was the happiest I’d ever seen him when we made it to the show.

He joined The Flume as a staff writer and became editor when Tom Locke retired, running the paper until just a few years ago. He traveled as much as he was able those years as well, taking a few trips overseas. He had a gift for observation and eloquence sharing what he saw.

According to his significant other, Corissa, Walter collapsed at their home on the 15th and though paramedics were able to restart his heart, he never regained consciousness and passed on the 20th surrounded by family. They are holding a memorial service for him at their home on May 15.

I’m sorry we never resolved our differences. Rest In Peace Walter.

Photos posted to his FB page by Corissa

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 May 2022 15:35 #2 by Carrie
Replied by Carrie on topic RIP Walter Newton
RIP Walter, my friend. You were truly one of the good guys---

08 May 2022 12:45 #3 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic RIP Walter Newton
Just saw this....I only know avatar's ,what was his? Getting into the 70's (how did that happen?) I began to realize just how many boomers r leaving us.....it is always a jolt.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds