I never promised you a rose garden review

05 Oct 2013 18:20 #61 by ScienceChic
Hubby and I finally made it last night after dropping the kids off for a Colorado Taekwondo Institute Lock-in ($45 for both to hang out all night, have class, run obstacle courses, play games, eat pizza, and watch movies until the wee hours of the morning while safely surrounded by great role model black belts=Priceless! Sorry, can't help that shameless plug - I love that group!).

The theatre has wonderful ambience, decor, and a great, intimate set-up (and we appreciated the full bar too!). Plus, it's easier to get to, and cheaper to park, than going downtown for a show!

I was prepared for something heavy, fully intellectual, and somewhat depressing given the subject matter at hand and was happily wrong - Walter adapted this very well with enough lighthearted moments to keep it from becoming oppressive, yet not inserting gratuitous funny moments that felt awkward. Having had a friend who suffered from, and ultimately committed suicide due to, schizophrenia, Debra's "gods" constantly surrounding her, invading her space, and talking over her really made it much more visceral for me as to how those with schizophrenia are constantly bombarded internally and get worn down by this disease.

The progression of her treatment, the way it caused immense stress in her family (and their own selfish short-comings), and her interaction with another patient, Carla, was well-organized and helped lend credibility. Seeing her small obsessive, repetitive behaviors lessen, and her "gods" become less present, were perfect visible cues of her return to health.

My favorite part, though, was the struggles of her doctor, Dr. Fried. Her strength of conviction in her methods, how she was becoming a dying breed of psycho-analysts: those who are truly gifted in reaching those with mental illnesses and helping them cope with their symptoms, and her own childhood demons that blinded her to her own shortcomings - that was fantastic. I haven't read Joanne Greenberg's novel, but I asked Walter afterwards if he did extra research on Dr. Fried's life to add to the play and he had. He recommended a book, which I've sadly already forgotten the title of, so I hope he will remind me again.

All in all, it was very enjoyable, the acting superb, and I highly recommend you go. It runs through Oct 27th.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Oct 2013 05:54 #62 by Reverend Revelant
Thank you for the kind review.

The name of the book is...

"To Redeem One Person is to Redeem the World" by Dr. Gail Hornstein.

http://www.amazon.com/Redeem-Person-Wor ... +the+World

Only 10 copies left, Kindle Editions and used copies available.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

11 Oct 2013 09:43 - 11 Oct 2013 09:48 #63 by Reverend Revelant

Brandon wrote: I was talking to WindPeak, but I'm not surprised you took that as an opportunity to start stroking yourself in public. Disgusting.

And speaking of that, I thought I'd bring this thread back up to the top to let anyone who is interested know that if you missed Joanne Greenberg the first time at our performance talk back, well she will be doing it again this coming Sunday.

This Sunday there will be a audience talk back with the cast, director and playwright (I'm blushing).

There will be a special guest at the talk back and she will be sitting with the cast to answer questions. The guest is the author of the 1963 book "I Never Promised You A Rose Garden,"

Joanne Greenberg

She is the author of 19 novels, too many to list short stories and has had a movie made of her "Rose Garden" book and a Hallmark Hall of Fame TV movie based on her book on deafness "In These Signs" entitled "Love Is Never Silent."

Besides being writer of the fictionalized novel "Rose Garden" she is actually the subject of the book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanne_Greenberg
http://mountaintopauthor.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Never_Pr ... den_(novel)

She will be answering questions about the book, the play and mental illness.

This will be an excellent opportunity to have a "literary" night out, see an award winning theatrical drama, visit with a world renown novelist and have a glass or two of wine (or scotch) in Lilly's Lounge inside the theatre. All for a 10th year anniversary price of $19.00 a seat.

Curtain is at 6:00 pm Sunday 10-13-2013

PM me if you want more information or visit the Miners Alley website linked in my signature.

Jump in Brandon... keep this thread alive for me.

11 Oct 2013 09:46 #64 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic I never promised you a rose garden review
A friend told me to text him scores a week or so ago because he had to attend a play....I texted back.."Not, You never promised me a rose garden?" he replied "yep" and I replied "WTF?" and he replied "?"

I'll ask him how it went next time I see him

22 Oct 2013 17:59 #65 by Reverend Revelant
I was hoping that Big Dougy was going to be around to bump this back to the top of the Courthouse, but I guess he took his ball home. Well... I never let a chance at shameless self-promotion go to waste so here's a little reminder.

If you were planning to see I Never Promised You A Rose Garden, this coming weekend is your final chance.

Try this Friday or Saturday evening... the 10th year anniversary of Miners Alley Playhouse prices are still $19.00 a ticket. Sunday is a special 2:00 pm closing performance with ticket prices at $35.00 a seat which includes a special wrap party for the cast and audience.

Thanks for all the support that MMT (that's you SC) has given me and special thanks to those of you who managed to already see a performance.

(Ask me about my new script I'm working on (he asks meekly), the Holocaust story, part of the reason for my trip to the Czech Republic next month. My girlfriend keeps asking me "Can't you write something light... you know... a comedy or something." Nope... I still have some serious storytelling to do before I drop dead).

22 Oct 2013 18:49 #66 by FOS
My last chance is the weekend. Date night with the hubby. I will be there for sure Walter.

22 Oct 2013 18:59 #67 by Reverend Revelant

frogger wrote: My last chance is the weekend. Date night with the hubby. I will be there for sure Walter.

Very nice... thanks. If you have time, try supping in downtown Golden before the show. I recommend Table Mountain Inn (but give yourself an extra half hour, they have ALWAYS been slow) or if you want something faster but a little more rowdy then try Woodies Pizza. Great fast service, noisy sports bar, rock and roll on the jukebox and all you can eat pizza and/or salad bar.

I may or may not drop in on Friday or Saturday nights but I have to be there Sunday for the closing.

Send me a PM if you know what night you are going, maybe I'll go ahead and drop in and say hi.

22 Oct 2013 19:08 #68 by FOS
I love Woodies. Was just there a few months ago.

23 Oct 2013 08:59 #69 by Rick

frogger wrote: I love Woodies.

lol
Sorry, I just had to..

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

23 Oct 2013 09:25 #70 by ScienceChic
When we went, both places were packed with a 40 minute wait and we had to go down the street to a definitely lesser quality meal. Make sure you leave plenty of time (unfortunately, we had no choice with not being able to drop the kids off any earlier than allowed).

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds