I never promised you a rose garden review

26 Oct 2013 23:25 #71 by FOS

Rick wrote:

frogger wrote: I love Woodies.

lol
Sorry, I just had to..

Actually it's Woody's and I do love them. So there. WTMI LOL.
Had a great evening tonight.
The play is great. Very well done. Moving yet, at times, you chuckle out loud.
Had a lovely dinner with a new friend and I just want to say thanks. Well Done!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Oct 2013 08:28 #72 by Venturer
Walter if you should ever write or act in another please let us know. Now physically able to travel for this one but look forward to some future ones since Golden isn't that far away.

I've read you will be going to Prague soon? Any plans to use any of the settings, etc. in a new write?

27 Oct 2013 09:28 #73 by Reverend Revelant

WindPeak wrote: Walter if you should ever write or act in another please let us know. Now physically able to travel for this one but look forward to some future ones since Golden isn't that far away.

I've read you will be going to Prague soon? Any plans to use any of the settings, etc. in a new write?

Yes. Part of my purpose of visiting Prague and some other parts of the Czech Republic and a few days in Germany is for research on a new untitled play I will be writing. The other reason for going is for some vacation time.

This new work will be the second piece in what I hope to eventually be a trilogy of plays on some of the more unknown events during the Holocaust.

My first piece entitled "A Field of Buttercups" was written in 2004 about a famous Polish doctor, his orphanage (which was behind the walls of the Warsaw ghetto) and the fate of him, his staff and 200 children. It won a Colorado Theater Guild award for "best new work" and it was presented to the public as a staged reading (acting out the show from handheld scripts, no costumes, no sets). But it has not seen a full stage production as of yet.

This second play will be about Terezin (in Czech)/Theresienstadt (in German), sometimes know as the "paradise concentration camp" because it was used as a Potemkin like village to fool the outside world into believing the the Germans were treating the Jews humanely.

Of the over 35,000 Jews that were taken there only 2,700 survived the war. Most of the others were transported to Auschwitz to be gassed.

I will be touring the camp with Dagmar Lieblova, an 85 year old survivor of Terezin (and the Auschwitz death camp in Poland). I will also be doing some interviews with her and making audio and video records of my time spent with her.

I will also be spending a night in Kalek (Czech Republic), a small rural town in the northwest right on the German border. I will be visiting a Czech couple there and we are going to discuss the a Czech's point of view about the German/Nazi take over of Czechoslovakia.

On the brighter side my girlfriend and myself will be enjoying the wonderful museums of Prague, Czech and German food, and we are taking a 3 days car trip through central Germany to visit Dresden, Kassel and Bochum.

In Bochum we will be attending a rock pop opera that has been playing at the same theater since 1988.

We leave on Nov. 5th. So the Courthouse will be "Walter free" for 14 days. Take advantage of that downtime.

I'll bring back some pictures (I'll put them in the Campfire) and of course I would be hard pressed not to relate some stories of my travels to the MMT crowd.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

27 Oct 2013 19:47 #74 by Reverend Revelant
Last performance was incredible today... and thanks to everyone who came to the show, everyone who commented and gave their opinions on the show and thanks to Dougy for starting this thread even though he's a lying sack of... :)

27 Oct 2013 19:51 #75 by FOS
LOL Walter. Safe Travels.

28 Oct 2013 07:50 #76 by Venturer
Walter, old ancestral grounds in Germany. One of my grandkids did some research on ancestors when they went to Germany and also the Alsace Lorraine area between France and Germany.

Wish you had more time to visit the areas longer. Enjoy. Look forward to some long discussions. Thanks.

28 Oct 2013 08:38 #77 by Reverend Revelant

WindPeak wrote: Walter, old ancestral grounds in Germany. One of my grandkids did some research on ancestors when they went to Germany and also the Alsace Lorraine area between France and Germany.

Wish you had more time to visit the areas longer. Enjoy. Look forward to some long discussions. Thanks.

Thank you. Anyone would be hard pressed to stop me from relating my stories, there will be long discussions in the Campfire. I'm a shameless self-promoter... as Brandon has so aptly put it "you use one hand to pat yourself on the back and the other to wag your weenie."

If I don't... who will?

28 Oct 2013 08:42 #78 by Venturer
Go for it. I will listen and more than likely will have some questions for you as one of my lines is Jewish. I enjoy learning as much about the history, topography, etc. of the area. Whatever you are willing to share. Don't know much about Czech Rep so it should be interesting. Thanks.

Walter L Newton wrote:

WindPeak wrote: Walter, old ancestral grounds in Germany. One of my grandkids did some research on ancestors when they went to Germany and also the Alsace Lorraine area between France and Germany.

Thank you. Anyone would be hard pressed to stop me from relating my stories, there will be long discussions in the Campfire. I'm a shameless self-promoter... as Brandon has so aptly put it "you use one hand to pat yourself on the back and the other to wag your weenie."

If I don't... who will?

04 Nov 2013 12:13 #79 by Venturer
Safe travels to you and girlfriend. Any operas or symphonies in your plans? The most beautiful music/singing.

04 Nov 2013 13:05 #80 by Reverend Revelant

WindPeak wrote: Safe travels to you and girlfriend. Any operas or symphonies in your plans? The most beautiful music/singing.

The only prepaid planned musical event is our 3 day car trip from Prague across Germany to Bochum Germany to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Starlight Express." at the Starlighthalle.

http://www.starlight-express.de/

(see the panorama view of the theatre here)
http://www.starlight-express.de/VIRTUEL ... 582.0.html

Other than that, no other musical events. We have the one day trip to the Terezin concentration camp with 85 year old Dagmar Lieblova, a survivor of that camp (for my research) and we will be spending one night with a Czech family in Kalek, which is about 1 1/2 hours north of Prague, right on the German border (you can walk to the boarder in about 1 minute).

The rest of the time is for what ever we decide to do at the moment. Some possible things to do is visit the Communist Museum, a black light theatre show, Kafka's home, of course the Charles Castle complex, roam the Jewish quarter (we are staying in the Jewish Quarter in Old Town) and visit the many buildings there and of course roam around town visiting various museums (sadly the National Museum is currently closed for some renovations).

We leave tomorrow on British Airways. Return on Nov. 18th.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds