Is the Clothesline a Right or Public Nuisance?

11 Sep 2010 09:20 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Online America: Is the Clothesline a Right or Public Nuisance #1?
Homeowners and communities square off over "right to dry" rules
Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-home ... z0zEbghC7j

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Sep 2010 08:43 #2 by ComputerBreath
I can see both sides...however, as long as the clothesline does not detract from anything...like the clothes are there for as long as it takes to dry them, I don't see how it is a public nuisance or that it detracts from property values.

16 Sep 2010 23:11 #3 by Local_Historian
If you cannot take a pair of cotton underwear on a clothesline for an hour or two, then you've got bigger issues to deal with.

I used to dry my clothes on the line all the time when my daughter was a baby - up here, first load was dry by the time the next load was done washing. Now I just don't have the time.

17 Sep 2010 06:33 - 17 Sep 2010 07:22 #4 by HEARTLESS
Everyone had them when I was growing up, most used them. Saves money through less gas or electricity and the suns UV kills some of the microbes on the clothes. If its not politically correct, then I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

The silent majority will be silent no more.

17 Sep 2010 07:04 #5 by jf1acai
If installed at the right height, it can be a good wake up call for anyone trying to sneak through your yard at night :wink:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

17 Sep 2010 07:27 #6 by 2wlady
We had a great time playing near the clotheslines. After we got in trouble for running through the clothes, though, we only played there when the lines were empty. Living on an Army base, the mothers did a lot of socializing then, since we were in apartments.

At my grandma's, she used wooden sticks with notches and made a zig zag for her clothes, since the yard was small. That's what they all did in that small city. After the laundry was gathered, the sticks and lines were taken down until the next week.

I don't see a problem with them.

17 Sep 2010 07:45 #7 by Nobody that matters
Clotheslines are environmentally safe.

Don't like to looks of my clothes?

Don't look at them.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

17 Sep 2010 12:41 #8 by Southpark
Our covenants don't allow clotheslines. So, I bought one of those retractable ones and mounted it on the side of the house that's the least likely to be seen. I attach the end to the shepherds hook that my bird feeder is on. I pull it out when I need to use it and as soon as I'm done I roll it back up and no one is any the wiser.

17 Sep 2010 14:40 #9 by BearMtnHIB
A Clothesline is most certainly a right. It can also be a public nuisance. If your dumb enough to buy a house in a HOA - then you can't have one if the HOA says you can't.

My house is not in an HOA - therefore if I want to have a clothsline I can. After all - it reduces my carbon footprint, unless the laundry blows down and I step on it after walking through my coal pile.

On a good day- putting my laundry outside is dry faster than my dryer does um.

17 Sep 2010 15:52 #10 by Southpark
Bear, I'm not dumb so please watch your tone! The rules were changed after I bought my house.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds