This made me drool

07 Feb 2013 13:46 #21 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic This made me drool
Inside Tesla 02.05.13
By George Blankenship, Vice President, Worldwide Sales and Ownership Experience

We started the year with Model S beta cars and ended with the Motor Trend Car of the Year® award. We went from zero production in May to a production flow in December capable of delivering 20,000 cars this year. We opened thirteen new stores and completed more than 5,000 test drives in eight weeks during the summer Get Amped tour. We opened our first eight Supercharger locations.

Your car: there's an app for that! :)

One of the great features included in every Model S is the ability to add functionality and make changes to the vehicle via remote software updates. We recently uploaded a new software version that fixed a few minor door handle and touchscreen behaviors that customers contacted us about. <snip> …the Android and iPhone apps. Both are now available for download! With these apps installed on your smartphone you can interact with your Model S to monitor charging, pre-condition your car on very hot or cold days, and even honk the horn to find your Model S in a crowded parking lot. Install the app and let the fun begin!

That is sooo cool! :heart:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Feb 2013 21:46 #22 by pineinthegrass
Replied by pineinthegrass on topic This made me drool
It's great to hear what is going on with Tesla. I like the innovation.

I'm not quite to the point of considering an all electic car, but if the price/performance improves, I might.

I've been looking at hybrids, and have been waiting for affordable AWD hybrids (for the snow up here), including sedans. Yes, the Toyota Highlander and Lexus hybrids are great cars, but they are very pricey.

There are nice front wheel drive choices, including the Prius and Camry that get 40 MPG+. But not any AWD choices (so far as I can tell) in that price range yet.

I hear Subaru is coming out with a hybrid this year. I was hoping it might be an affordable Forester, but it looks like it might be another model.

And I think Toyota will come out with a hybrid Rav4 soon. They already have an all electric model (EV), and it looks like they will have one with a 100 mile range this year with their deal with Tesla. But I still don't think 100 miles is good enough range for up here in the mountains. It would be fine in Denver, though.

Still looking... :happier:

09 Feb 2013 10:30 #23 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic This made me drool
Tesla is one car company that has it's act together. The model S is still $50-90K though, but they did something right by making the battery pack available in various sizes. And the 1/4 mile time of ~12 sec. is impressive. That is quick.

Drag race Chevy Volt vs. Tesla Model S LOL

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/02/05/te ... you-think/

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

24 Mar 2013 19:32 #24 by ScienceChic

LOL wrote: www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases...ark-meadows-colorado

SC you should check out the new showroom in Park Meadows mall, I think it would be fun to drive these cars. The acceleration is supposed to be quite good.

Finally made it over today, have a test drive scheduled after Spring Break ends so we can go without the kids! :) They fell in love with the jump seats in the trunk and talked the whole way home about which car we have now to sell so we can get this one. Poor things are gonna be so sad that neither vehicle alone would cover the cost so it's not happening now, but it sure was a sweet-looking auto. Long too - it's 9" longer than our SUV!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

18 Jul 2014 09:41 #25 by ScienceChic
Watching a recorded episode of Top Gear the other night with the family, and they drove one that has also captured my heart (I mean, it's no Tesla, but...) it sounds so pretty, it looks gorgeous, the blue fire coming out of the exhausts at the top make my heart sing, AND it can run completely silent when you put it in electric mode (as opposed to Race mode, where I'd want to be as often as possible). :P

The Porsche 918 Sypder Hybrid!

I love watching Hammond drive these - he obviously loves what he does so much (I'm jealous, he's got the best job in the world, except for having to put up with Jeremy, and go to the most remote, un-fun places at times) and he's good with the stats too. :)

Hummuna hummana!

Attachments:

18 Jul 2014 10:09 #26 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic This made me drool
And you will even get a $3000 tax credit from the Feds for driving a Porsche. How cool is that?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

08 Jan 2015 22:27 #27 by ScienceChic
Tesla Model S P85D Cranks Out Massive 864 LB-FT On The Dyno: Video
By Nelson Ireson
December 29, 2014

This dyno video, showing the new super-performance Tesla Model S P85D at full tilt, also shows something Tesla hadn’t told us about: a whole boatload of torque.

Okay, so Tesla rated the P85D at a very stout 691 horsepower without any mention of torque. But here, in a dyno from DragTimes via Jalopnik, the car tests out at 864 pound-feet, a figure that puts the P85D in (or beyond) territory mostly held by tuner specials and the occasional AMG V-12.

Well, those first few seconds are pretty heady! :P

09 Jan 2015 08:24 #28 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic This made me drool
These cars are pretty cool but they may as well be rainbow powered unicorns because so few people can afford them... and to get one repaired, it's probably $300 an hour.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

01 Mar 2015 11:24 #29 by ScienceChic
Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
Vijay Pattni
23 February 2015

Fittingly, it's called ‘La Finale', and takes the shape of the Grand Sport Vitesse, which means this lucky customer has picked up a 1183bhp open-topped monster with 1106lb ft of torque, and the ability to get from 0-62mph in just 2.5 seconds.

So, of those 450 units, 300 are Coupes and 150 roadsters, in 987bhp ‘standard' and 1187bhp ‘Super Sport' guises. Of course, we know Bugatti is readying a brand new model, which we'll hopefully see at some point next year.

The new Bugatti is coming in 2016
Head of VW Group design confirms next hypercar is on its way. And it will be ‘art’
Vijay Pattni
24 July 2014

De Silva wouldn’t confirm exactly what form this new car would take, but did concede that it “won’t be a Veyron replacement, it’ll be more than that. We’re investigating all avenues at the moment”.

He remained confident, however, it will be something incredible. “For me, Bugatti is not a car,” de Silva said, “it is a piece of art. You have to understand this.

19 Jul 2015 20:41 #30 by ScienceChic
Hmm, well, okay. Ho hum. :biggrin:

Tesla’s New ‘Ludicrous Mode’ Makes the Model S a Supercar
Alex Davies

Insane is now quotidian.

Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk announced today that the all-electric Model S sedan now comes with “Ludicrous Mode,” which will send the four-door sedan from 0 to 60 mph in a shockingly quick 2.8 seconds. That’s supercar territory, and it makes “Insane Mode,” introduced last fall and good for a 0 to 60 time of 3.2 seconds, seem utterly lame.

To date, the car’s acceleration has been capped by how much current can be safely drawn from the battery, about 1,300 amps. Go much higher than that, and the fuse can melt.

Tesla’s developed a new fuse that uses electronics and its own tiny lithium ion battery to detect when it will melt, and cut power if necessary.

And this is only Insane Mode...

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds