Craft Brewing

03 Apr 2011 17:49 #31 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Craft Brewing

High Country Home Brewer wrote: Why not u can carbonate with honey, priming sugar, agave nectar, or force carbonation with co2.
PS NEVER TURN YOUR BOTTLE HORIZONTAL OR UPSIDE DOWN
Chuck

Oh you bottled? I just don't want the cheap sugar in the brew-If you put sugar and co2 in the keg won't it be too carbonated? Maybe explode?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Apr 2011 17:57 #32 by High Country Home Brewer
Keg has a relief valve that will blow at 130 psi. I'm saying carbonation with sugar and pushing with co2 or 75/25 beer blend maybe 60/40 blend so you have the qualities of a bottle conditioned beer on tap.
Chuck. The great thing about home brew is its your recipe (don't use cheap sugar) very good quality honey is awesome and will carbonate while raising alcohol
Chuck. how do you guys quote other people ?

03 Apr 2011 18:01 #33 by UNDER MODERATION
priming sugar is cheap sugar and honey adds body..

03 Apr 2011 18:06 #34 by EddieWess
Replied by EddieWess on topic Craft Brewing

High Country Home Brewer wrote: how do you guys quote other people ?

Just click on the Quote button on the lower right of the message you want tou guote from, then cut and paste as necesary.

03 Apr 2011 18:12 #35 by High Country Home Brewer
I might like more body don't know but got me thinkin looked at calendar and it's ready to tap so I'll get back to you in a hour or so
Chuck
Thanks guess I should have looked @ that quote button

03 Apr 2011 18:14 #36 by EddieWess
Replied by EddieWess on topic Craft Brewing

Vice Lord wrote:

High Country Home Brewer wrote: I am keg conditioning a batch now, figured I would save gas and get the bottle conditioned effect, so I added my priming sugar put in one big bottle (keg) see how it goes anyone else do this?
Chuck

No, you don't use sugar when you keg..The co2 carbonates it. You keg it it, apply the pressure and chill for 2 days and voila! It's done.

VL, there are at least 3 ways to carb in a keg. You hookup your CO2 and let it slowly carb your keg which has been chilled for at least 24 hours before adding the gas. You can force carb it by, well basically, shaking / rolling the keg while infusing carb and purging the CO2 or you can do the bottle conditioning with the sugar like Chuck says.

I prefer the slow carbing with the CO2 turned to 20 psi for 3 or 4 days.

03 Apr 2011 18:27 #37 by High Country Home Brewer
I prefer the slow carbing with the CO2 turned to 20 psi for 3 or 4 days.[/quote]
I think I'm with ya I just miss bottle conditioning had a few bottles of home brew recently, and I think there is something to be said for bottle conditioning
Chuck

03 Apr 2011 18:38 #38 by UNDER MODERATION

EddieWess wrote:

Vice Lord wrote:

High Country Home Brewer wrote: I prefer the slow carbing with the CO2 turned to 20 psi for 3 or 4 days.

Me too-I thought that was the only way...adding sugar after fermentation is a necasary evil when you bottle..You don't do it unless you have too..

03 Apr 2011 18:40 #39 by UNDER MODERATION

High Country Home Brewer wrote: I think I'm with ya I just miss bottle conditioning had a few bottles of home brew recently, and I think there is something to be said for bottle conditioning
Chuck

Our bottle beers peaked at around 3-8 weeks after bottling..You're actually waiting for the sugar to get completely eaten up..Sometimes I did'nt like it at 3 weeks then it was great at 4 weeks and on..

03 Apr 2011 18:54 #40 by High Country Home Brewer
don't get me wrong I like forced carbonation, just like to play with the freedom that home brewing gives me
Chuck. variety is the spice of life

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds