Climbing fuel prices

07 Mar 2011 06:24 #1 by Rockdoc
Climbing fuel prices was created by Rockdoc
This headline caught my eye this morning

Oil reserves could be tapped to ease gas prices
ABC7Chicago.com - Jessica D'Onofrio, John Garcia - ‎19 minutes ago‎
The national average is up 33 cents over the past two weeks, and now the government is considering taking action. The Obama administration is looking at all of its options.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=7998746

While an easing of gas prices would be welcomed by everyone including me, I'm not sure this is the best track to take. Sooner or later we will have to face what the rest of the world (exclusive of the Middle East) has already faced. It's expensive to drive a vehicle. You've heard and debated this matter before, but we are rather fortunate in how little we actually pay for fuel. Allowing fuel prices to rise, may not be popular, is likely to hurt a great deal for the average American, but feeling that pain is the whip that will make us look to alternative energy use.

Your thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Mar 2011 09:22 #2 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Climbing fuel prices
Pardon the cliche but " the cure for higher prices is higher prices". Leave the SPR in the ground.

07 Mar 2011 09:28 #3 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Climbing fuel prices
I agree Rockdoc. The artificially low oil and coal prices have allowed our economy to grow amazingly over the last century, but at a rate that is proving unhealthy for our environment, and ultimately, us. Whatever the results of the changes in the Middle East, while there is plenty of volume of fossil fuels in the ground there and elsewhere (Canada, Venezuela, China, etc), the output will continue to meet our needs less and less and it is inevitable that prices will continue to rise. For it to hurt us personally, and our economy less, it's time to start moving to other sources of energy, and seriously improving our energy efficiency, in a decisive and concerted effort.

http://www.grist.org/article/2011-03-06 ... -oil-order

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

07 Mar 2011 09:50 #4 by Surveyor
Replied by Surveyor on topic Climbing fuel prices
I'm having trouble understanding the oil reserve vs gas price issue this time. Oil prices dropped, but gas prices are rising. So, are they or are they not related? It sounds like gas is going up because someone wants gas to go up. More oil won't solve that issue.

I also do not believe that rising gas prices will do anything but destroy our rural communities or, for the more adaptable ones, change them significantly.

We waited in line in the '70's for gas and made positive moves towards more sustainable transportation, but that movement was nipped in the bud. I am all for turning our backs on the oil/gas manipulators. I think that we need to do that, if not for the environment then because the industry is exploiting new markets in Asia and will leave us behind as having been tapped out (financially speaking).

That said, there really are not many options available to the common man. Bicycles? I understand that the Indian car company, Tata, has released an air-driven car that would be great for our cities. But, there is no availability that I see here. It takes the whole village to make the change with something like this in the face of a government and big corporations who do not want the change.

07 Mar 2011 09:52 #5 by kresspin
Replied by kresspin on topic Climbing fuel prices
At what point does the government decide to put all that oil it's storing in salt caves on the market?

President Bush didn't do it, even when prices topped $4 a gallon. So what the use of storing it?

07 Mar 2011 10:55 #6 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Climbing fuel prices

Surveyor wrote: I'm having trouble understanding the oil reserve vs gas price issue this time. Oil prices dropped, but gas prices are rising. So, are they or are they not related? It sounds like gas is going up because someone wants gas to go up. More oil won't solve that issue.

I also do not believe that rising gas prices will do anything but destroy our rural communities or, for the more adaptable ones, change them significantly.

We waited in line in the '70's for gas and made positive moves towards more sustainable transportation, but that movement was nipped in the bud. I am all for turning our backs on the oil/gas manipulators. I think that we need to do that, if not for the environment then because the industry is exploiting new markets in Asia and will leave us behind as having been tapped out (financially speaking).

That said, there really are not many options available to the common man. Bicycles? I understand that the Indian car company, Tata, has released an air-driven car that would be great for our cities. But, there is no availability that I see here. It takes the whole village to make the change with something like this in the face of a government and big corporations who do not want the change.

As I understand it, fuel prices have their root in refineries and their oil supply costs. Crude oil prices are driven by the perception of crude supply and demand, thus not always based on reality. Right now the perception of Libya's oil exports going off line is driving oil prices past $100/barrel, up over $20/bl over the past month. I also think that commodity traders have a general fear that more issues will crop up in the Middle East. (I'm certain they are keeping a close eye on Saudi in that regard even though the King has tried to avert issues by handing out money.) Those prices eventually reach the refineries. Local fuel prices generally are perception driven as well and tend to go up fast in anticipation of increased delivery cost and go down slowly after fuel costs have dropped.

07 Mar 2011 10:58 #7 by conifermtman
Replied by conifermtman on topic Climbing fuel prices
What has Obama done to ensure a relatively cheap supply of fuel for this country?

07 Mar 2011 11:01 #8 by Rockdoc

kresspin wrote: At what point does the government decide to put all that oil it's storing in salt caves on the market?

President Bush didn't do it, even when prices topped $4 a gallon. So what the use of storing it?

Release of oil storage supplies is subjective and in part politically motivated. Reserves in storage are supposed to be for real emergencies, like when oil shipments are cut off entirely. I also believe (speculate) the oil reserves are there to even out the lows and highs of oil speculation cycles. Obama's consideration for releasing oil supplies may well be politically driven by the economic times we're in (poor).

07 Mar 2011 11:02 #9 by Rockdoc

conifermtman wrote: What has Obama done to ensure a relatively cheap supply of fuel for this country?

Gulf Drilling moratorium????

07 Mar 2011 11:02 #10 by kresspin
Replied by kresspin on topic Climbing fuel prices

conifermtman wrote: What has Obama done to ensure a relatively cheap supply of fuel for this country?

Who says gasoline must be cheap? It's not cheap anywhere else in the world. Are you suggesting government subsidies to make it artificially cheap for Americans?

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds