Climbing fuel prices

07 Mar 2011 11:11 #11 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Climbing fuel prices

conifermtman wrote: What has Obama done to ensure a relatively cheap supply of fuel for this country?

July 4, 2010

In his weekly radio, the President announced he was putting $2 billion into two solar energy projects, including Concentrated solar thermal with storage (aka solar baseload).

http://climateprogress.org/2010/07/04/o ... ar-pv-csp/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Mar 2011 11:30 #12 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Climbing fuel prices
All I have to say is that 55gallon drums sure are heavy.

07 Mar 2011 11:45 #13 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Climbing fuel prices

TPP wrote: All I have to say is that 55gallon drums sure are heavy.

Your comment evokes a memory of gas delivery to our farm in NY. The milk house had been converted into a fuel depot in which there were three or four 55 gl drums that my father had filled periodically at the steep price of 19 cents a gallon :) He thought that was costly. I've a 300 gl drum up here that I use for off road diesel fuel. It's got a divider that would allow me to have both diesel and gas. Unfortunately, I can not get gas delivered because of the safety regulations. Right now, I could not afford to fill it anyway.

07 Mar 2011 12:20 #14 by kresspin
Replied by kresspin on topic Climbing fuel prices

TPP wrote: All I have to say is that 55gallon drums sure are heavy.

I certainly hope you are not storing 55 gallon drums of gasoline on your property.

07 Mar 2011 12:31 #15 by conifermtman
Replied by conifermtman on topic Climbing fuel prices

kresspin wrote:

conifermtman wrote: What has Obama done to ensure a relatively cheap supply of fuel for this country?

Who says gasoline must be cheap? It's not cheap anywhere else in the world. Are you suggesting government subsidies to make it artificially cheap for Americans?

Petro products drive our economy unless you like the idea of inflation, gas needs to be relatively cheap.

Government subsidies would be dumb, somebody would have to pay for those, like more borrowing from the Chinese and higher taxes. Allowing us to fully develop our resources would drive prices down and Obama has not done anything to help that cause, just hinder it.

07 Mar 2011 12:36 #16 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Climbing fuel prices
Millions of farmers store fuel on their property. Can you imagine having to drive the tractor to town every time that you need fuel? I guess there are those who have no knowledge of rural life and would judge that you should never store fuel on your farm. And then they picture in their minds that you keep the fuel in 55 gal barrels. That is humorous.

Regards,
Major Bean

07 Mar 2011 12:40 #17 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Climbing fuel prices
There are supposed to be regulations for ag storage of gasoline. However, the tanks often leak and nothing is done about them.

So, what I'm hearing is that we are going to pay more for gasoline, but we still don't have any viable solutions to getting away from oil.

07 Mar 2011 12:41 #18 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Climbing fuel prices
Stirling emgine!

Regards,
Major Bean

07 Mar 2011 13:18 #19 by deltamrey
Replied by deltamrey on topic Climbing fuel prices
The reality is that we the taxpayers built the interstate highway system - and most of the attendant infrastructure. We the taxpayers built the air transportation system (airports, etc). We had options to build much more mass transit and high speed rail - as did the Europeans. WE are responsible as a people for permitting oil companies to take us......only WE can fix the mistakes. Thia will take decades - took 70 years to get into the box.

Another thought if I may.......why when oil rises in price does gasoline (months in the pipeline - a barrel of oil must be extracted, shipped and distilled, then transported to the gas station - think about the rip off) ) rise immediately (bet you know).

07 Mar 2011 13:27 #20 by conifermtman
Replied by conifermtman on topic Climbing fuel prices

deltamrey wrote: The reality is that we the taxpayers built the interstate highway system - and most of the attendant infrastructure. We the taxpayers built the air transportation system (airports, etc). We had options to build much more mass transit and high speed rail - as did the Europeans. WE are responsible as a people for permitting oil companies to take us......only WE can fix the mistakes. Thia will take decades - took 70 years to get into the box.

Mass transit is an economic failure and only stays afloat because of massive subsidies. For example, RTD gets most of its funding through sales taxes and not rider fares. Because of the economic downturn RTD has had to reduce service because sales tax revenue is down. For most people mass transit does not work because the routes are not timely and do not take you exactly where you want to go. If you don't believe me, trying taking RTD to the Best Buy on Wadsworth. How long will that take you by bus? Sure we could add more routes, but how economically viable are those?

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds