Climbing fuel prices

07 Mar 2011 13:40 #21 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Climbing fuel prices

major bean wrote: Millions of farmers store fuel on their property. Can you imagine having to drive the tractor to town every time that you need fuel? I guess there are those who have no knowledge of rural life and would judge that you should never store fuel on your farm. And then they picture in their minds that you keep the fuel in 55 gal barrels. That is humorous.

Right. It takes me nearly half an hour to drive the skid loader a mile and a half to the nearest gas station. No way. That is why I have a 300 gallon tank so I do not waste more fuel just to fill up when the need arises. I don't need much as my skid loader use is negligible compared to an operational farm where machinery needs daily fill ups.

For those who are aghast with the angst of spills, think about the billions of tons of asphalt slapped down on the ground every year for highway construction or maintenance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Mar 2011 13:51 #22 by deltamrey
Replied by deltamrey on topic Climbing fuel prices
Economic viability played little in the creation of the interstate and US highway systems - nor did it play in the creation of airports......it was ALL paid for by the government. So why now is this an issue ??

07 Mar 2011 14:03 #23 by conifermtman
Replied by conifermtman on topic Climbing fuel prices

deltamrey wrote: Economic viability played little in the creation of the interstate and US highway systems - nor did it play in the creation of airports......it was ALL paid for by the government. So why now is this an issue ??

It would be more correct to state that this was all paid by the taxpayer with loans from China, Japan and others that buy our debt.

07 Mar 2011 14:51 #24 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Climbing fuel prices
Those were funded by U.S. bonds purchased by the American public, long before the U.S. sought backing from foreign countries. (Europe & Japan were in shambles after WWII and China was a backwater, agricultural "nonplayer".)

Regards,
Major Bean

07 Mar 2011 15:08 #25 by Martin Ent Inc
Replied by Martin Ent Inc on topic Climbing fuel prices
You guys think it's bad now,,,

Just wait till all the bicycle jams start on 285 in the coming years. Throw in the occasional mule rider, horse and buggy And you will have to leave 3 hours early to get to work.

07 Mar 2011 17:03 #26 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Climbing fuel prices

Martin Ent Inc wrote: You guys think it's bad now,,,

Just wait till all the bicycle jams start on 285 in the coming years. Throw in the occasional mule rider, horse and buggy And you will have to leave 3 hours early to get to work.

:sunshine: :woo hoo: lol Aha Back to the good old days lol

07 Mar 2011 17:20 #27 by Local_Historian
I'm honestly starting to wonder if horses would not be cheaper in the long run.

07 Mar 2011 17:30 #28 by deltamrey
MB is of course correct. Now, essentially ALL major infrastructure was paid for by
WE the people. And WE THE PEOPLE fund most major innovations - corporations are NOT innovators - they burp out consumer stuff as a rule. THE real source of wealth in modern America is the FEDERAL government (via contracts to competent private firms and national labs) and research Universities. And when the big corporations FAIL
as GM, Chrysler (opppsss FIAT - FIX IT AGAIN TONY)) and ALL Wall Street banksters
WE THE PEOPLE bail them out.

07 Mar 2011 19:27 #29 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Climbing fuel prices
Yep, the government invented the light bulb, the telephone, wireless, motion pictures, assembly line production, electrical power generation and distribution, etc.

Private initiative had nothing to do with any of that.

:faint:

Edited to add :Sick:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

08 Mar 2011 08:37 #30 by deltamrey
Well lets see - the government: Provided rail rights of way, airports, interstate highways, nuclear power plants, the internet, fiber optics, jet aircraft, space based systems, ......long very impressive list.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds