× News, results, speculation, and bragging! Home of the popular Pick 5 Contest ! RATING: PG

Raven RELEASE Ray......

09 Sep 2014 20:46 #11 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Raven RELEASE Ray......
I admit I have not followed this closely, so I have probably missed a lot. I am making no judgments.

What I haven't seen is the charges filed, the trials held, evidence evaluated, and what the resulting convictions are.

I thought in the United States of America, a person is considered innocent until proven guilty.

That does not seem to be the case here.

What has he been convicted of?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Sep 2014 06:38 #12 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic Raven RELEASE Ray......
Do you have some insight on his cognitive abilities at the time of the incident that you'd like to share with us home? This man probably bench presses 300+#, and squats 500# or more. Did you see how much difficulty he had even trying to drag her out of the elevator? No, the man was stoned, likely they both were. What you judge to be indifference (didn't you have some rather harsh words for me recently about making judgments about others?) is quite clearly impairment.

But my question remains - if I had a video of the worst thing you have ever done, would you want the entirety of your character determined by that video? If not, then why are you so quick to do that to someone else? What Rice did was wrong, it was entirely unacceptable, it was inexcusable (which I note he is not trying to excuse in any way), but beyond redemption? Is this what our society is becoming in the "progressive" era of tolerance?

One final note. Janay Rice regrets her part in the incident. Let us not forget that this man didn't just cold cock some random female that happened to be walking down the street, or a waitress who had failed to provide the level of service he felt was his due as an NFL star. Now, I'm not going to say that she deserved what she got because when a man hits a woman for any reason he is simply wrong and there is never justification for doing that. That said, Janay Rice is far from some innocent victim in all of this. She, and Ray, are both standing up and admitting to their mistake; something a certain nameless president who was having sexual relations with an intern wasn't man enough to do when his actions came to light, choosing instead to perjure himself before a court of law and have his wife parrot his lies. At the very least this couple is admitting there is a problem that needs to be addressed and they are addressing it so that their marriage doesn't remain a dysfunctional one going forward.

Which pair do you think better represents the values and goals of our society?

10 Sep 2014 06:47 #13 by PrintSmith

jf1acai wrote: I admit I have not followed this closely, so I have probably missed a lot. I am making no judgments.

What I haven't seen is the charges filed, the trials held, evidence evaluated, and what the resulting convictions are.

I thought in the United States of America, a person is considered innocent until proven guilty.

That does not seem to be the case here.

What has he been convicted of?

Charges were reduced because the wife wouldn't testify. Ray plead to a lesser charge and was enrolled in an intervention program which will keep him out of jail if successfully completed.

Rice has been proven guilty and a punishment has been administered by the courts. His employer is also protecting their brand and administering their own punishment, a punishment which violates the written policies in place at the time the offense was committed as well as the current written policies that were enacted in the wake of the public outcry over the inadequacy of their existing policies. If the NFL is simply going to make up rules as they go, then why have a written policy that specifies the measures that will be taken for violations of the policy to begin with?

10 Sep 2014 07:37 #14 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Raven RELEASE Ray......
PS..in a larger sense (macro view) THIS is about the LACK of action (turning a blind eye) of the
mega media/sport moguls who are $$ FOCUSED and NOT focused on the problems within the sport.THEY are reaping obscene benefits.

It is ONLY after public outrage/concern/feedback that things are addressed in an ADEQUATE manner.Jerry Sandusky come to mind,the LACK of concern,concrete actions, for many years was despicable and did NOT become an issue until there was an outcry from the public and OTHER venues questioning the penalty and THAT was the impetus for the "canning".

$$$$ was the ultimate goal in both cases and DOING
THE RIGHT THING took a last position. GREED at it's most grotesque JMO

10 Sep 2014 08:52 #15 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Raven RELEASE Ray......
Thanks for the explanation PS.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

10 Sep 2014 11:13 #16 by homeagain
www.cnn.com/2014/08/28/sport/nfl-goodell...?iid=article_sidebar

FYI..the PUBLIC called "out" the NFL/Goodell..and because of that outcry,they/he was FORCED to address it.

10 Sep 2014 12:58 #17 by ComputerBreath
Explain this: He was punished for some domestic violence infraction--which neither he nor his now wife would say what exactly it was--by being suspended for 2 games based on the video of him dragging her unconscious body out of the elevator.

Now that there is more video of him decking her and knocking her unconscious, his punishment has been revised?

I agree, both are in need of counseling...

10 Sep 2014 13:18 #18 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Raven RELEASE Ray......
:incomplete: Some are saying the DA needs to look at this case and increase the punishment, wouldn't that be double jeopardy?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

10 Sep 2014 15:55 #19 by PrintSmith

ComputerBreath wrote: Explain this: He was punished for some domestic violence infraction--which neither he nor his now wife would say what exactly it was--by being suspended for 2 games based on the video of him dragging her unconscious body out of the elevator.

Now that there is more video of him decking her and knocking her unconscious, his punishment has been revised?

I agree, both are in need of counseling...

Which they are receiving - as a couple - so that this problem within their marriage is addressed.

As to the rest, that is part and parcel of much of my concern. We have written into our Constitution a prohibition on ex post facto laws. What that means is that the punishment in place at the time the crime was committed is the maximum penalty that anyone accused of violating the law may be subjected to. One can't go back to everyone sitting in a penitentiary serving a sentence and say that the sentence maximums have been increased, you now have to do more time than you were originally sentenced to. And yet, that is precisely what the NFL is doing to Rice, isn't it? They had a policy regarding domestic violence in place when this incident took place. By anything resembling what is just, shouldn't that be the policy under which his offense is dealt with?

10 Sep 2014 17:14 #20 by homeagain
www.cnn.com/2014/09/10/us/nfl-ray-rice/

What is the famous line from the original tv series Mission Impossible?.....(paraphrasing here) "We will
DISAVOW any knowledge in the event of discovery?".....HOWEVER, I will wait for further information to reveal itself....

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds