Science Odds and Ends

17 Mar 2011 06:36 #141 by Photo-fish
Replied by Photo-fish on topic Science Odds and Ends
Mass extiinctions - Increased diabetes mortality - M class solar flares - Supermoon Quakes - Bee kills?

TPP, are you sure you're not some fearmongering leftist? :jk2:

I have been following the bee issue. Thanks for the posts. :thumbsup:

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Mar 2011 13:45 #142 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Science Odds and Ends
lol ... Almost as far from leftist, as ya can get...
But I see your point, just passing on Science.
I try to keep my politics out of it. Please if I do add politics LMK (except Global Warming, or as I & others say JunkScience), And I try to stay away from global warming info, for that reason.
Your welcome I'll keep my eyes open for any more info on Bees, very odd.
I can't partake of honey anymore, but as I'm sure your aware Honey is the only thing (so far) know that will not goo bad.
It does crystalize, and seperate, but it's still good. That just amazes me...
Crap, there are also Twinkies forgot...

17 Mar 2011 14:08 #143 by TPP
Here's one of many articile about Kelp:
Health Benefits of Kelp
Editor's Note: Do NOT try these home remedies without consulting a health professional to make sure they are appropriate for you.

Kelp is an herb which is so high in vitamins, nutrients, and minerals that it works wonderfully as an all-around every day vitamin. It's particularly useful as a women's vitamin because it's high in iron, calcium, and potassium -- all of which tend to be essential for women during menstruation, or while pregnant or nursing.

Kelp has a salty taste to it, and some people even use it in place of salt. It's also a natural source of iodine and this is where a lot of its medicinal, healing, and wellness power comes into play.

Iodine is essential to your body as it helps the thyroid properly function. And the thyroid controls growth, energy and metabolism in your body. Since kelp is a natural source of iodine, it's absorbed by your body more slowly and safely than chemical iodine is. I'm actually allergic to chemical iodine, but I have no problems consuming moderate amounts of kelp on a daily basis.
Kelp regulates both the thyroid and pituitary glands, plus it activates all glands in your body. It's wonderful for nail growth and hair loss too, plus it can help regulate your body temperature. It may even help if you have problems with chronic low body temperature.

Kelp is beneficial to the pancreas and the prostrate. It also builds cell membranes, helps the digestive system, can help prevent the growth of tumors, can help cleanse the body of radiation, and normalize glands and hormones, which makes it an excellent supplement to take while pregnant.

The natural, high iodine content of kelp actually helps it act as an antibiotic in your body too. When there's an infection in your body, kelp will help assist the thyroid to release more iodine into your blood stream, and iodine kills infections.

I've personally used kelp tea for years to kill strep throat. I add a gel capsule of ground kelp to regular, hot black tea, let it dissolve, and stir it around. Then I drink the tea. The kelp coats the throat as it goes down, and the iodine kills the strep bacteria. It also relieves pain almost immediately. It's gritty and doesn't taste too great in tea form, but it works really fast and it's cheap too.

Kelp also acts as a diuretic, which means it will help you shed water your body might retain.

http://www.chetday.com/kelpbenefit.htm

19 Mar 2011 11:04 #144 by TPP
Guess What’s Building On Mount Kilimanjaro?
William Teach

Standing as the highest mountain in Africa, Mount Kilimanjaro is slowly regaining its snow after several years of drought in East Africa and the effects of climate change in African continent.
Sigh. They should have stopped after "drought." And let's not forget that the major cause of the loss of Kilimanjaro's snow was due to the loss of the forests around the Mount, which, yes, was man caused, but was a local condition, much like NYC is much hotter than the surrounding country side. Anyhow
The snow is slowly mounting on the top point of the mountain, giving new hopes to Mount Kilimanjaro environmental watchdogs and tourists that the mountain may not lose its beautiful ice cap as scientists predicted.

Covered in mist most of the day, Mount Kilimanjaro is the most tourist attractive site in Tanzania, pulling in tens of thousands of tourists each year. The snow, which once disappeared in some parts of the mountain is mounting slowly, giving a beautiful view of the Kibo peak.
But, of course
Environmentalists warn that this highest peak in Africa could lose its ice cover and glaciers between 2018 and 2020 unless global campaigns to save the mountain’s ecology are taken.
So, their bat guano theory wasn't working out, so, they have to make a prediction 7-9 years away. They just won't give up on insanity. I'm sure they will figure out a way to link the increased snow cover to globull warming, though.

algore please explain, or will you admit that man-made global warming is bullsh*t?

21 Mar 2011 11:12 #145 by TPP
POOR algore….
EPA, Full Speed Ahead March 21, 2011 9:30 A.M. By Drew Thornley

Last week, the Obama administration released its plans to increase regulation of mercury and other toxic emissions from our nation’s power plants. Like all of the EPA’s plans, the new regulations will adversely affect traditional power generators and prop up federally favored renewable energies. However, according to the EPA,(1)we’ll all be able to breathe easier — literally — while up to 17,000 premature deaths per year will be prevented: “Reducing toxic power-plant emissions will also cut fine-particle pollution and prevent thousands of premature deaths and tens of thousands of heart attacks, bronchitis cases, and asthma attacks.
EPA estimates the value of the improvements to health alone total $59 billion to $140 billion in 2016. This means that for every dollar spent to reduce pollution from power plants, we get $5 to $13 in health benefits.”

About those spent dollars: “The EPA says the annual cost to meet the new regulation will be about $11 billion in 2016, and that it will increase consumers’ electric bills on the order of three or four dollars a month,” writes the Wall Street Journal.(2) This may not be a big deal to NY Fed president William Dudley, but its cause for concern for the rest of us. And not surprisingly, our power suppliers have their concerns about the cost of the new rules — not to mention the pace of the EPA’s regulatory reaches in general.

The WSJ reports: American Electric Power Co. and some other utilities have expressed concern they won’t have time to bring their coal-fired plants into compliance on roughly half a dozen regulations expected to be proposed or adopted by the EPA over the next 20 months that target pollution.
That suggests they may ask Congress to intervene. “We do know many members of Congress are concerned about the economic impact of these rules, and more time will help mitigate the economic impact of making additional emission reductions,” an AEP spokeswoman said.

The Electric Reliability Coordinating Council, which also opposes the rules, raised another concern in a statement Wednesday: That utilities’ need to comply with these and similar rules would lead to a rush of demand for new construction and smoke-stack clean-up technology, resulting in higher costs or delays for some utilities.

(1) http://www.epa.gov/airquality/powerplanttoxics/
(2) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703899704576204583816132832.html
(3) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704893604576199113452719274.html
http://www.nationalreview.com/planet-gore

21 Mar 2011 11:19 #146 by TPP
Didn't see this earlier...
Science: Offshore Wind Farms Kill Whales March 16, 2011 10:00 A.M. by Greg Pollowitz & James Delingpole

So wind farms don’t just despoil countryside, frighten horses, chop up birds, spontaneously combust, drive down property prices, madden those who live nearby with their subsonic humming, drive up electricity prices, promote rent seeking, make rich landowners richer (and everyone else poorer), ruin views, buy more electric sports cars for that dreadful Dale Vince character, require rare earth minerals which cause enormous environmental damage, destroy 3.7 real jobs for every fake “green” job they “create”, blight neighborhoods, kill off tourism and ruin lives, but they also KILL WHALES! (1)

According to researchers at the University of St Andrews, the sound of offshore wind farms is likely to mess with the whales’ sensitive sonar systems and drive them ashore, where they get stuck on beaches and die.
Has anyone else noticed the gentle irony here? Well, let me explain with the help of my magic sledgehammer: save possibly the polar bear and the mighty snail darter there is no creature on the planet more totemic of green values than the whale. Saving whales is what greens do. Or rather what they used to do in the days when greens were actually interested in caring for the environment instead of, say, trying to destroy the capitalist system.

(1) {Unable to Open}
http://www.nationalreview.com/planet-gore

21 Mar 2011 13:19 #147 by Photo-fish

“Wind farms kill whales: blubber on the green movement’s hands“
That’s the typically subtle and balanced headline of today’s piece by James Delingpole, which is based on an article in yesterday’s Telegraph, “Wind farms blamed for stranding of whales“, which is itself based on the research article “Beaked Whales Respond to Simulated and Actual Navy Sonar” published on Monday. “Simulated and Actual Navy Sonar”? That doesn’t sound like it’s about wind farms at all! Luckily, the paper was published in the open access journal PLoS ONE, so we can read the whole thing.
http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchObjectAttachment.action;jsessionid=8C6BDCC3DCEB6539FB294C18B3130EC5.ambra02?uri=info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0017009&representation=PDF.

There is not one mention of the phrases “wind turbine” or “wind farm”, or indeed even the word “wind” at all. Nor is there any mention of beaching beyond hypothetical suggestions that sonar may cause it – although they found whales were tending to stay away from military sonar, they didn’t find direct evidence that this was causing whales to get stranded.

http://atomicspin.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/delingpole-gets-whaled-on/

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

22 Mar 2011 06:17 #148 by TPP
Thanks for updating us on the above article, that's what this thread is about...

Idea: Let’s put a wind farm in the migration route of the FRICK'IN flying rats that are called Snow Geese!
And let them fly though it, survival of the smartest and fastest!

BTW, Photo-fish, since I have Type 2 diabetes, "Increased diabetes mortality" interests me...

22 Mar 2011 09:22 #149 by Photo-fish

TPP wrote: BTW, Photo-fish, since I have Type 2 diabetes, "Increased diabetes mortality" interests me...

As it should. :thumbsup:

22 Mar 2011 09:24 #150 by Photo-fish
Tweety Was Right: Cats Are a Bird’s No. 1 Enemy

While public attention has focused on wind turbines as a menace to birds, a new study shows that a far greater threat may be posed by a more familiar antagonist: the pet house cat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/21/science/21birds.html?_r=2

Time to create page: 0.353 seconds