Quick and Easy Meals for One, Bachelor Style

25 Nov 2011 22:06 #51 by otisptoadwater
Want some chocolate cake but don't want a whole cake and/or not up for a trip to the store? Have a look around the kitchen, if you have these ingredients and a microwave oven you can have nearly instant gratification:

Five Minute Chocolate Cake

What You Need

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons chocolate chips
2 tablespoons of scrambled egg
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Splash of vanilla extract
Large ceramic coffee mug
Microwave oven
Spork or other suitable plasticware

How To Git'r Dun

Combine all ingredients in the mug and mix well. Put the mug in the microwave and nuke for five minutes. Keep an eye on the mug as it nukes, if the cake rises out of the top of the mug a little that's ok but if it overflows the sides early then you need a bigger mug or split the batch between two smaller mugs.

Chocolate it toxic to dogs so don't share with your four legged friends!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jan 2012 21:08 #52 by otisptoadwater
While I'm not sure if they serve this in mess halls today, I grew up eating this and my Mom's fine tuned version was always better than what the DoD ever had to offer. Health freaks get ready for a blast of salt, I'll even admit that this dish is probably too salty but it has never kept me form eating it!

Fine Tuned SOS

Get This:

1/4 cup butter
4 ounces chipped beef
2 tablespoons chopped onion
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1 can chopped mushrooms, drained
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
6 slices of sour dough toast or sour dough biscuits

Git'r Dun:

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cut beef into thin strips; add to melted butter. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes and blend in flour. Gradually add milk and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbling. Stir sour cream, mushrooms, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Heat through and serve creamed chipped beef on toast or biscuits.
Recipe for creamed chipped beef on toast serves 4.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

23 Jan 2012 23:08 #53 by otisptoadwater
I got a really good deal on 3.5 pounds of soon to be past its prime pork loin at my local grocery store, carving it up into chops is an obvious choice but I did something else with the last pound...

Jaeger Schnitzel

What You Need:

6 Pork Loin Chops, thinly sliced cutlets (about 1 lb. total)
1-2 cups flour
2 eggs
1-2 cups breadcrumbs
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Olive oil
2 cups mushrooms
1/2 stick butter
2 packets of instant brown gravy mix

Git'r Dun:

Lay out the pork chops between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet to make them a little bit thinner and bigger. Sprinkle each side of the pork with salt, pepper and garlic powder, arrange three shallow bowls, putting the flour in one, the eggs in the second and the breadcrumbs in the third. Mix the eggs and a tablespoon of water with a fork until scrambled. Coat each piece of pork in the flour, then the eggs, and finally the breadcrumbs. Make sure the entire piece of meat is covered in each ingredient before moving on to the next, and pat the breadcrumbs into each piece. Put the breaded pieces on a plate, cover it with plastic wrap or a paper towel and put the plate in the refrigerator until you're ready to cook the pork.

Slice the mushrooms and add them to a large frying pan, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms, mixing to coat them in the butter and cook them on medium for at least twenty minutes, stirring occasionally. They'll wilt down to nearly half their precooked size. Finish the mushrooms before you cook the pork because the mushrooms can be reheated and you want to eat the pork while it's hot.

Meanwhile, fill a different, high-sided frying pan with about a half-inch of olive oil. Heat the oil until you can drop in a few breadcrumbs and they sizzle. Cook the breaded pork for about four minutes on each side, or until they're browned. The pork pieces should sizzle while cooking; if there's no sizzle, the oil isn't hot enough and the pork will just sit in the oil and get mushy. If the oil is popping before anything has been added to the pan the oil is too hot, it might take a couple of tries to find the right temperature. Cook two or three pieces of pork at a time and when they are done, put them on a plate that's covered with a few paper towels, to soak up any excess oil.

While the pork is cooking, heat 1 ½ cups of water in a sauce pan until it's boiling then whisk the gravy mix into the water and then mix the brown gravy into the mushrooms. Let the gravy mixture come to a boil and then simmer on medium for three or four minutes, until thickened, stirring occasionally. Let the gravy sit on low until you're ready to eat.

When you're ready to eat, put a piece of breaded pork (schnitzel) on your plate and top with the brown gravy. The whole process from start to finish takes about 30 to 45 minutes, depending on how fast you move, and it feeds three to six people, depending on how much they eat. I like this served over a big mound of skins on smashed tatters or even some fresh cut shoestring fries.

05 Feb 2012 20:53 #54 by otisptoadwater
I like to think I have a pretty good command of preparing good barbeque, my family and friends look to me to provide the meats for most of our get togethers. Imagine my surprise when the little brother told me to stand down on the shredded beef for today's Super Bowl party. Skeptical about what he would be bringing I smoked a pork shoulder just in case, it wouldn't take long to shred and reheat.

Sure enough, the little brother and his brood showed up at the Cave today and the little brother was totting a crock pot full of delicious smelling shredded beef! I had to ask if he had bought it somewhere and to otherwise explain how he got this fantastic shredded beef... Turns out making this dish is so simple even my little brother can do it well! Finally I can justify buying a crockpot!

Shredded Beef the Easy Way

What you need:

Crockpot
3-ish pound boneless beef Chuck roast
1 pint of your favorite barbeque sauce
Granulated garlic
Onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste

How its done:

Apply the spices to the roast, place the roast into the crockpot and add the barbeque sauce. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or until the roast is tender. Once the roast is cooked remove from the crockpot and shred with a fork. Return the meat to the crockpot and increase the heat to high. Serve on buns or as is. Sweet and not too spicy for the crumb crunchers and your four legged friends.

I will be making this dish soon and will probably add some onions, peppers, and cayenne just to give it a little more zip.

03 Mar 2012 19:54 #55 by otisptoadwater
Saint Patrick's Day is neigh, here is my favorite recipe for the occasion. New England style with extra vegetables, you could add more veggies like turnips, rutabagas, and parsnips but I seem to be the only one who likes those tubers.

New England Boiled Dinner, a.k.a the 'Merican version of Corned Beef & Cabbage

What You Need:

4-5 pound corned brisket of beef (when the party is over chill and slice the leftovers to make Rubens!)
water
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
8 carrots, peeled
8-10 potatoes, I like to use new potatoes so I double due to small size of spuds
2 yellow onions, peeled and cut into quarters
1 small head green cabbage, cored and cut into quarters

How It's Done:

Cover the beef with water in a large pot. Add the basil, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Skim the fat from the surface as necessary.* Cook gently for 3-4 hours until the beef is fork-tender.

About 30 minutes before serving, add all the vegetables, except the cabbage. Add the cabbage 15 minutes before serving. Turn up the heat when adding the vegetables so that the broth is boiling. Turn down the heat to a simmer once broth boils.

*Here’s advice on boiling meat from the 1845 cookbook by Esther Allen
Howard entitled: “The New England Economic Housekeeper”:

“(Boiling meats) is the most simple of culinary processes (but is not often)
performed in perfection. It does not require so much nicety and attention as roasting. To skim the pot well and keep it really boiling (the slower the better) all the while…and take it up at the critical moment when it is done enough, comprehends the whole art and mystery. This, however, demands a patient and perpetual vigilance, of which few persons are capable.”

If Esther's narrative has not put you off the task of making a simple corned beef dinner, read on:

“…when the pot is coming to a boil, there will always, from the cleanest of
meats and the cleanest of water, rise a scum to the top of it. Proceeding partly from the water; this must be carefully taken off as soon as it rises…the oftener it is skimmed and the cleaner the top of the water is kept the sweeter the meat.”

22 Jun 2012 20:16 #56 by otisptoadwater
I just had a look at the National Weather Service webpage, the forecast for the Denver metro and front range foothills looks miserable. I return home on Monday night so maybe I'll escape the really hot weather but who knows.

Heat makes me crabby(er) and when it gets too hot I loose my appetite. I often eat dinner only after it cools off, put off dinner all together, or eat junk food instead of making a meal.

I have had my fill of sandwiches and salads, Gazpacho and cold Borscht are good but you have to cook them first and then chill them down. Hot dogs, burgers, and big slabs of red meat get repetitive and you have to stand in front of a hot grill when it's already too hot to begin with.

One solution? Enter the humble lettuce leaf and a few cold ingredients...

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wrap

1 head of your favorite lettuce, I like Iceberg for this dish
1 or 2 cups cooked chicken cut in to 1/4 inch cubes (great way to use up leftovers!)
2 cups finely shredded cabbage
1/4 cup finely chopped peanuts or cashews
1/2 cup finely shredded purple cabbage
1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1 hand full of bean sprouts
2 green onions, sliced thin
4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1/4 cup peanut or vegetable oil
4 tablespoons sesame oil
1 splash Asian chili oil, more if you like it spicy
4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
The juice from half a lemon
1/4 cup toasted white sesame seeds
A pinch of sugar
A splash of Nuc Mom (Vietnamese fish sauce)

Place all the vegetables (EXCEPT the lettuce) and chicken in a large bowl. Mix the liquid ingredients and pour over the chicken and slaw mixture then toss. Allow to sit in the fridge until cool, but not more than an hour. The acid in the sauce will turn everything mushy and gross so let it chill just long enough that all the flavors have a chance to combine.

When it's time to eat, peel off as many lettuce leafs as you are going to eat, and wash them then spoon in some slaw mix and roll it up. Great with a little extra chili oil and sesame oil mixed up for dipping!

On the bonus side your clean up is a large bowl, cutting board and a knife (mix with your paws...). Who needs plates when you have a perfect pouch of food in your hand!?

The down side? There is a fair amount of prep work to do, if you are not handy with a Chef's knife it might be worth the extra clean up to break out the veg-o-matic (food processor for those who don't habla). The dog will only pick out the chicken and leave the rest if you drop one on the floor... The slaw doesn't store well so it's a make it now and eat it now kind of dish.

You could do all the veg prep and put all the veg in one bowl and make the sauce in a separate bowl, that will improve shelf stability but if you assemble it and eat it right away if won't have the same flavor as the slaw that has had some time to let the flavors marry.

22 Jun 2012 20:30 #57 by MichiganGal
:thumbsup: Keep them coming!

Never Say Never

04 Nov 2012 19:47 #58 by otisptoadwater
I love to eat roasted pumpkin seeds, especially when they are made like this:

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

What You Need:
Pumpkin Seeds from 1 Medium Pumpkin
1 tbsp Bacon Grease
1 1/2 tbsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Salt
1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper

Git'r Dun:
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. I have had limited success with a Cast Iron Dutch oven over wood coals but you need to get the heat just right and cook the seeds in smaller batches.
2. In small bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
3. In bowl, mix pumpkin seeds with the bacon grease, you’ll want to warm up the bacon grease so it's liquid but not so hot it starts to cook the seeds.
4. Pour in dry mixture a little at a time and coat oiled seeds thoroughly.
5. Spread the coated seeds evenly on a cookie sheet.
6. Cook in the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes checking every 10 minutes.

Makes a great snack and the cost can be kept to a minimum if you intercept the seeds before pumpkin carvers waste them by chucking them into the trash.

29 Jan 2013 21:00 #59 by otisptoadwater
Got home tonight and had a look around the kitchen to see what I had on hand. The search turned up two large baking spuds, shredded sharp Cheddar, a serving of red chili with beans, sour cream, some cooked bacon, and too much butter.

Baked Potatoes ala'Microwave

What you Need:

Spuds - use what you like, I prefer Russets or Yukon Golds
Toppings - again, it's all about what you want and getting rid of left overs.

How it's Done:

Wash the spuds off, be sure to get the dirt and eyes off the surface, or don't and eat around it. Pierce the skin with a spork, fork, or knife, if you don't the spud(s) won't cook evenly. Once cooked through top the spud(s) with the toppings you like. I like salt, pepper, butter and sour cream but some times it doesn't hurt to add in the chili and cheese.

The best news of all? Paper plates, plastic ware, and a few minutes of nuking stuff in the microwave are all that you need to pull off a quick snack/meal and clean up is mostly throwing stuff in the trash.

24 Mar 2013 18:21 #60 by otisptoadwater
As I gathered supplies for the impending storm last Friday I came across a couple of beef shanks in the bargain bin. Shanks aren't expensive to begin with so I figured I'd snap these up and freeze them if I couldn't find a way to cook them over the weekend. I like easy meals, no or little clean up, and lots of food so I'll have some left overs. On a cold snowy day it's nice to have a pot on the stove cooking away most of the day, stinking up the joint. A braise seemed like the obvious method but exactly what would go into it? A couple of Google searches later and I found this gem and adjusted it to my liking:

Port Wine Braised Beef Shank

What You Need:

1.5 to 3 lbs beef shank
1 large onion, halved and sliced
1 pound of mushrooms, use the variety you like
4 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
1 tbsp Italian Seasoning (rosemary, oregano, basil, thyme, and marjoram combined)
1/2 cup Port Wine
Beef Stock, to cover
Olive Oil, for searing
Salt and pepper to taste, check about an hour in to cooking, just before it's done, add what you need.

Git'r Dun:

Place a large dutch oven or stock-pot with a tight fitting lid over medium high heat. Season both sides of beef generously with salt and pepper. Add 2 tbsp. olive oil to pot and swirl to coat. Place Beef shank in pot and cook for 2-4 minutes per side, or until a deep, rich crust is formed.

Toss in onions, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Pour wine over shank and shake pan vigorously. Add stock until beef is barely visible. Press vegetables down with spoon. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 4 to 5 hours, or until beef is fork-tender. Test for seasoning (chances are you’ll need to add a good bit of salt and pepper at this point), add mushrooms, and simmer an additional 20 minutes.

Don't forget your four legged furry buddy(s), nothing left to do with the shank bone after a braise except hand it over to your dog(s).

Stuff I Omitted from the Original Recipe:

1) Serve over rice. What's wrong with a big heap of smashed 'tatters and some green beans instead?
2) Garnish with Watercress. NO, just no.
3) Vegetable stock. Braise beef in beef stock, if you want veggie flavors add the veg to the beef stock and decide to strain them off later or leave them in (leave them in, trust me).
4) Use a $30 bottle of Port. Red wine like Zinfandel or Marsala works just fine, I happened to have a cheap bottle of Port on hand so I used it.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds