Lime Gulch Fire-Evacs Lifted, Estimated Containment 6/23!

20 Jun 2013 16:30 - 20 Jun 2013 16:43 #241 by Reverend Revelant
Summary information (I'm going to list these items in no particular order of importance).

1) Expect 2-3 more days of this kind of weather... shifting winds... possible afternoon and early evening dry thunderstorms.

Here's a wind map of Colorado http://www.intellicast.com/National/Win ... n=USCO0105

2) They estimated there was at least 3000 lightning strikes Tuesday afternoon/evening. I asked if they got that information from a strike map, they admitted that the number was just off the top of their head.

3) They put out a fire (called the incident closed) on Tuesday evening. I believe the name was the Chair Rock fire. They said this current fire was NOT a results of smoldering from the Chair Rock fire. They said one of those multiple lightning strikes probably started a small fire low to the ground, and it was not visible or known until it started to run up some trees and crown.

4) Dan Dallas is the In State Commander for the Forest Service on this incident. He said the Forest Service Incident Management Team assists local forces when the local agencies have exceeded their capacity to manage the fire AND public safety. This gives the local agencies more leeway so they can concentrate on public safety. "Bring order to chaos" is how he put it (although... personal opinion... our local agencies were not chaotic during any point in this incident up to this point... I've been monitoring... I heard nothing that sounded like chaos). Dan Dallas was probably just using a "figure" of speech. I asked a Jeffco sheriff if she bristled at that remark. Her only retort was that they were comfortable working with the USFS commander. Take that for what it's worth.

5) USFS has a Type 3 Incident Team on the scene right now and a Team B will be arriving on the scene tonight (Thursday 6-20-2013) around 6:00 pm.

6) They had an new unofficial estimate of the size of the fire, and they say the fire has grown today to probably 600 acres. Some of that growth was mainly to the east. But they won't have an official figure until tonight when they send up an aircraft with infrared measuring devices.

7) Dan Dallas said they are "feeling good about the progress."

8) Evacuation zones have not changed, nor have they been lifted.

9) Everyone, no matter where you are needs to be ready to move. They are concerned with more dry storms and lightning strikes.

NOAA weather map http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... 1&loop=yes

10) They especially ask that anyone up to a mile east of the current 3 mile radius evacuation area be vigilant and ready to leave (that certainly has something to do with the fire advancing a bit further east today).

11) NO containment figures.

12) NO immediate threat to any homes.

13) The real name of this fire is the LION GULCH FIRE. But however the current name stuck... I don't think they are going to try to change it right now... would be too confusing for the media and all involved.

I asked Dan Dallas if there was any compatibility problems between the USFS communication radios and the local agencies radios. He said a firm "No." But I know for a fact (and this discussion has come up MANY times on here and other community forums) that they still are working off of UHF and VHF systems while all the state agencies are updated and using a 800mhz digital system. Maybe they can communicate, but there is no way to compare the older UHF and VHF systems to the modern trunk systems that our state uses. It's far from a perfect situation.

Well... that was a long summary, basically it was more like a short narrative, so I'll leave it at that. If anyone has any questions, I may have the answer on my notepad that I brought to the news conference.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jun 2013 16:39 #242 by homeagain
Walt....THANKS for the overview and "being there" to report back to us...... :sparklyheart:

20 Jun 2013 16:40 #243 by homeagain

CinnamonGirl wrote: Well I think you guys are all over this, just wanted to let you know I probably won't be posting, unless needed later.

Take care. You all did a really good job on this fire. Glad no structures lost or anyone hurt. I hope it all gets better quickly.

Your cohesive and continual updates were MUCH appreciated....THANKS for your efforts.

20 Jun 2013 16:42 #244 by Reverend Revelant

homeagain wrote: Walt....THANKS for the overview and "being there" to report back to us...... :sparklyheart:

You're welcome. See... I can be a teddy bear when I need to!!!

20 Jun 2013 17:03 #245 by CinnamonGirl

Walter L Newton wrote: Summary information (I'm going to list these items in no particular order of importance).

1) Expect 2-3 more days of this kind of weather... shifting winds... possible afternoon and early evening dry thunderstorms.

Here's a wind map of Colorado http://www.intellicast.com/National/Win ... n=USCO0105

2) They estimated there was at least 3000 lightning strikes Tuesday afternoon/evening. I asked if they got that information from a strike map, they admitted that the number was just off the top of their head.

3) They put out a fire (called the incident closed) on Tuesday evening. I believe the name was the Chair Rock fire. They said this current fire was NOT a results of smoldering from the Chair Rock fire. They said one of those multiple lightning strikes probably started a small fire low to the ground, and it was not visible or known until it started to run up some trees and crown.

4) Dan Dallas is the In State Commander for the Forest Service on this incident. He said the Forest Service Incident Management Team assists local forces when the local agencies have exceeded their capacity to manage the fire AND public safety. This gives the local agencies more leeway so they can concentrate on public safety. "Bring order to chaos" is how he put it (although... personal opinion... our local agencies were not chaotic during any point in this incident up to this point... I've been monitoring... I heard nothing that sounded like chaos). Dan Dallas was probably just using a "figure" of speech. I asked a Jeffco sheriff if she bristled at that remark. Her only retort was that they were comfortable working with the USFS commander. Take that for what it's worth.

5) USFS has a Type 3 Incident Team on the scene right now and a Team B will be arriving on the scene tonight (Thursday 6-20-2013) around 6:00 pm.

6) They had an new unofficial estimate of the size of the fire, and they say the fire has grown today to probably 600 acres. Some of that growth was mainly to the east. But they won't have an official figure until tonight when they send up an aircraft with infrared measuring devices.

7) Dan Dallas said they are "feeling good about the progress."

8) Evacuation zones have not changed, nor have they been lifted.

9) Everyone, no matter where you are needs to be ready to move. They are concerned with more dry storms and lightning strikes.

NOAA weather map http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid= ... 1&loop=yes

10) They especially ask that anyone up to a mile east of the current 3 mile radius evacuation area be vigilant and ready to leave (that certainly has something to do with the fire advancing a bit further east today).

11) NO containment figures.

12) NO immediate threat to any homes.

13) The real name of this fire is the LION GULCH FIRE. But however the current name stuck... I don't think they are going to try to change it right now... would be too confusing for the media and all involved.

I asked Dan Dallas if there was any compatibility problems between the USFS communication radios and the local agencies radios. He said a firm "No." But I know for a fact (and this discussion has come up MANY times on here and other community forums) that they still are working off of UHF and VHF systems while all the state agencies are updated and using a 800mhz digital system. Maybe they can communicate, but there is no way to compare the older UHF and VHF systems to the modern trunk systems that our state uses. It's far from a perfect situation.

Well... that was a long summary, basically it was more like a short narrative, so I'll leave it at that. If anyone has any questions, I may have the answer on my notepad that I brought to the news conference.

Great presentation! Very detailed. Awesome job! I think CB needs to get you for all our sites!

20 Jun 2013 17:03 #246 by CinnamonGirl

homeagain wrote:

CinnamonGirl wrote: Well I think you guys are all over this, just wanted to let you know I probably won't be posting, unless needed later.

Take care. You all did a really good job on this fire. Glad no structures lost or anyone hurt. I hope it all gets better quickly.

Your cohesive and continual updates were MUCH appreciated....THANKS for your efforts.

No problem was glad to help. Take care you guys.

20 Jun 2013 17:05 #247 by Reverend Revelant
And another note...

The checkpoints set up by the Jeffco Sheriff's Department and the State Police are collecting names and phone number of people entering the areas that are still open to residents. This is so they have more information if they need to evacuate those areas. It helps them to have a updated list of phone numbers for as many people as they can.

20 Jun 2013 17:07 #248 by Reverend Revelant

CinnamonGirl wrote: Great presentation! Very detailed. Awesome job! I think CB needs to get you for all our sites!

Thank you.

20 Jun 2013 17:17 #249 by ScienceChic
Excellent work Walt, thank you very much!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

20 Jun 2013 17:20 #250 by Reverend Revelant

Science Chic wrote: Excellent work Walt, thank you very much!

Your welcome... ah... now I'm blushing.

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds