Lime Gulch Fire-Evacs Lifted, Estimated Containment 6/23!

20 Jun 2013 19:02 #261 by Reverend Revelant

redsonjaxe wrote:

archer wrote: Thank you Walt, for the updates. I am so disappointed in the available information since the forest service took over. We had to spend the day in town and were trying to find out if Roxborough, where my husband's daughter lives, was going to be affected...... I about depleted the cell phone's battery searching for info.

Yes me too, I can't help but say, what can we expect, its federal. This has been a huge disappointment. Thanks Walt. At least when Jeffco does it, i can find the press conferences live. Its ridiculous if you ask me that we have to listen to Scanners to get up to date info and decipher it. Preposterous.

No one at the press conference today said anything about Roxborough or about any extended Level 1 areas. As far as I know, the Level 1 areas are the same as they were yesterday... and none of those areas... Level 1, 3 whatever is anywhere near Roxborough as of yet.

They had a large hard copy of the incident area map... and it's the same as this one...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&m ... urce=embed

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jun 2013 19:18 #262 by Reverend Revelant
Here's the current Fox News report... click on the video player... they only covered 2-3 statements from todays press conference... you'll have to go back up thread to get the full details of the press conference...

http://kdvr.com/2013/06/20/190214/

Technically... 285Bound scooped all the media our coverage of the press conference. Maybe Fox will have more of the press conference on their 9pm news block.

20 Jun 2013 19:24 #263 by redsonjaxe
Yes Walter, thanks to 285 posting a link to your press report I was able to find some information. Thank you very much for posting it.

Point tho is, I shouldnt have to dig to find the information. All the information that gets tweeted and retweeted for hours on twitter is goofy. I mean hours old information. THere is no way we get UP to the minute information. Now we will have to wait until 10am tomorrow? Thats just wrong. Fires spread within that time. I find the whole way the communications are handled wrong. And yes I am a bit angry about it.

20 Jun 2013 19:25 #264 by redsonjaxe
But Walter, I really appreciate your personal efforts.

20 Jun 2013 19:41 #265 by Reverend Revelant
I just watched the press conference "coverage" on all 5 channels... well... it wasn't really coverage... more like a quick clip or two of Dan Dallas (USFS Incident Commander) talking a bit about lightning strikes and how they probably started this fire.

What bothers me is the press conference lasted 33 minutes, 3 people talked, there was a question and answer period... a lot of good info... and the networks drag all that equipment out for 15 seconds of video.

I know Denver residents are probably not that worried about this fire, and the local stations have to play to their demographics... but us folks in the high country would be interested in a little more than someone telling use that lightning started this fire... hell... we all knew that before Dan Dallas told us.

Honestly... it appears that 285Bound scooped all the local media in regards to the info at this news conference. Big cheers to Science Chic for having this outlet for our mountain community... the only way we can get Denver to cover anything in these hills is if something was burning in Aspen... then they would be having wall to wall coverage.

Pissed.

20 Jun 2013 19:54 #266 by redsonjaxe

Walter L Newton wrote:
Pissed.

Yes, me too. Its disgusting. I am forgoing plans to do things I needed to do because i dont want to travel too far incase i have to evacuate. I have pets too. Im really pissed.

I talked to Colorado retired fireman in a meetup group im in about the communications (before this particular fire) and asked if he thought we got up to the minute information and "real" information. He said no. I asked him if he knew why and he wasnt sure. One suggested response was that people panic. Excuse me? They panic anyway...! That is a lame excuse for NOT sharing the information. I couldnt help but wonder, do they really NOT know? IN either case, I asked him how we could change that, who would people have to go thru. He said he had to really think about that. It seems from his response, commissioners and politics. I just dont get it.

20 Jun 2013 21:17 #267 by Joann Lavis
we had the same thing happend on one of our fires in Big Bear Ca years back the news were not able to tell us
anything this is when i started getting on the scanner to get the real info as to what was going on. and yes we were told they didn`t want to panic anyone.. grrrrr i feel the same guys so irrating..

20 Jun 2013 21:23 #268 by Reverend Revelant
Now that the USFS is in command, you cannot hear what "commands" that the USFS is giving them. And of course, the sheriff's departments actual duties have been curtailed back to public safety issues... so... even when you hear them communicating... you don't know what they are responding to. Oh... you can get some idea from some of the context... but nothing like the info you were hearing before the USFS took over.

I'll be at the 10 am Friday press conference... best I can do is ask questions and bring the info back here.

I think I'm out for the night. If you want to listen to a one sided conversation... go here...

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/4269/web

20 Jun 2013 22:00 #269 by CinnamonGirl
I didn't want to bring this up during the fire yesterday, but I think it should be talked about after. In the past (LNNF), the Jeffco twitter page posted only information on their twitter page. This time they seemed to have a social media manager that was answering questions that made it a bit harder to see and they seemed to have info on three twitter accounts. They even crowed about trending on twitter and it seemed unprofessional to me in the middle of evacs and a serious fire. I was having a harder time finding out what was going on. The info was not all in one place.

I did not feel as if it was as easy as it was last time to get info. Many people have difficulties with twitter. The Lower North Fork Fire was the first time, that I saw, where most information was shared with social media only. It was a precedent. After that most agencies were doing it. I thought it was easy and concise during the LNNF fire. I did not feel that way this time. I don't think everyone can get their info from twitter because it takes a bit of knowing what you are doing. So, I was not thrilled with the way the info was given out this time but that is just my opinion. I was able to wade through it but I suspect it may have been harder for others.

Hope Jeffco sees the feedback and takes it for what it is worth.

20 Jun 2013 22:05 #270 by CinnamonGirl
One more thing, Walter what I liked about your report was the way you skipped writing and posted it in a sort of bulleted way. Straight to the info. I like that when you are just trying to get info as fast as possible. Just me.....

:thumbsup:

Time to create page: 0.315 seconds