Pepper-Sprayed Kid: 'I Kind Of Deserved It'

07 Apr 2011 11:52 #41 by 2wlady
Rock Docs wrote:

Take the brat and put him over your knee and give him what he is asking for. He knows what he is doing.

Yeah, he does know what he's doing. I bet that's how he is disciplined now. Haul off and hit him and he hauls off and hits or threatens to hit someone else.

You learn that. Fortunately, you can unlearn it, too. Hitting is when you can't think of anything else to do and it causes resentment enough to lash out at someone else.

Endless cycle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Apr 2011 11:56 #42 by TPP
Gee, that's what Wiffie said to me, as I was washing out my eyes, "'I think ya Kind Of Deserved It!" :dontget:

07 Apr 2011 12:00 #43 by HEARTLESS
TPP, no means NO!

The silent majority will be silent no more.

07 Apr 2011 12:33 #44 by Martin Ent Inc
I got spanked and I haven't turned out to be a killer.
Hell we got spanked at school, by coaches, by other parents and then again when we got home.

07 Apr 2011 15:23 #45 by 2wlady
So you got spanked. Who knows how well you turned out. I think anyone who was spanked as a child and truly thinks it's OK is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Combine spanking with other disfunctional behaviors in a family and there are typically more negative results for the live of the child than positive.

07 Apr 2011 19:20 #46 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Pepper-Sprayed Kid: 'I Kind Of Deserved It'
i got spanked, it didn't bother me at all and I was never angry or felt violated by the spanker, but I never hit my kids..A little pushing around and grabbing by the collar maybe, but never hit..A lot of screaming

08 Apr 2011 06:46 #47 by FredHayek

Trouble wrote:

"I don't know how my future is going to be -- rich, happy, good life road or bad, homeless, poor road," Aidan said.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/27 ... etail.html

The kid is 8 years old.

Heartbreaking.

Personally I find the kid's comments refreshing. Too many people aren't willing to take responsibility for thier own actions, always blaming others.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Apr 2011 14:48 #48 by Rockdoc

2wlady wrote: So you got spanked. Who knows how well you turned out. I think anyone who was spanked as a child and truly thinks it's OK is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Combine spanking with other disfunctional behaviors in a family and there are typically more negative results for the live of the child than positive.

We all have our perceptions of how to bring up children. You may think that your hands off behavior is the best approach and that being disciplined leads to all kinds of ills. According to you there is a direct cause and affect with spanking, namely that anyone who is disciplined is naturally inclined to respond the same way. What you FAIL to acknowledge is that many of us (me included) received considerable hands on discipline not just at home but outside the home also and yet, the majority of us did not turn out to be "typically more negative results". Personally, I'm not a spanker, though I did swat my youngest on the butt once. I'd rather do my disciplining with a tone of voice that I rarely use. Where did you come up with that fact or is this just your biased opinion we are to buy. How extensive is your research? None at all outside of a few casual observations? Of course you couched your argument by including dysfunctional family behavior into the mix. Stick to the facts. We are talking about spanking and that is it. If you want to talk about additional variables, then let us address those elsewhere. FYI, James Dobson, a nationally renowned child psychologist advocates when a child asks for it by disregarding rules intensionally. But that aside, I'm just pleased to know you have ascertained that all of us over 60 must be part of an endless cycle of physical abuse, because that certainly was in vogue during our youth. I happily live in cloud cuckoo land and I'm guessing here, that you live in fantasy land being under the impression that physical discipline only leads to negative results.

Parting shot. Just remember there is no RIGHT way to child rearing, only different ways.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds