If O Had Kept Promises, there wouldn't be a Deficit!!!

15 Apr 2011 15:00 #31 by AspenValley

CriticalBill wrote:

AspenValley wrote:

CriticalBill wrote: So that aside, what do you think about the topic? And since nobody else answered my question, what do you think about the Obama speech I posted on the previous page? Care to get involved in the actual topic?

I already commented on the actual topic, that's when the hordes of mosquitos came out.

I'm just asking you to watch and listen to the video of Obama that I posted.

I have no idea where you posted it. You said the "previous page" but I dont' see it. Link, maybe?

So I respectfully ask you or anyone else with the guts to answer THIS question: Did Obama lie about reducing the deficit by half or is there some other plausible reason for it not being pushed by him? Have we seen any effort by Obama to make the cuts needed or have we even heard him talk about doing it prior to this current controversy?

Without seeing the video, I will say right up front that what Obama talked about doing during the campaign and what actually became possible or even advisable changed radically before he took office. It makes sense to reduce deficits when the economy is relatively strong but I think it's terrible economic policy during a severe recession to make this a priority. It makes sense to keep deficits low during economic boom times (the opposite of what the last administration did) but few economists find it good policy to be trying to slash government spending when the economy is in a severe recession. So if your question is, did Obama change his policy as conditions changed, I'd say, yes he did, and rightfully so.

On the other hand, I find it distressing and even stupid for him now to be buying into the Republican drumbeat that somehow the root of our economic problem is the deficit. It flat-out isn't. The problem is in the private sector, although we'd be much better positioned to weather the economic contraction we're in if the past administration hadn't spent like a drunken sailor while cutting taxes at the same time. The failed policies of more than 30 years of "Voodoo Economics" are coming home to roost, and all the Republican chest thumping about making it the fault of Medicare or food stamps is just so much horse sh**, meant to deflect the public from the truth, which is that the richest 1/2 of % and the largest corporations have effectively kicked the working class to the curb, shrunk the middle class to something less than 10% of the population with about 80% of the tax burden, and have turned what once was the greatest economic engine in the democratic world into something resembling the oligarchies of South America or maybe even the modern day equivalent of feudalism.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Apr 2011 16:12 #32 by Pony Soldier

Nmysys wrote: NetDude:

Fancy name for a skinny little twerp that shotguns once a month. I have told you before that you are welcome to come across the hwy and see if your skinny butt can back up your as

comments but the only nerve you have is in your comments!!!!

How about you once adding something to a thread instead of trying to act like you are a big man?

What is your problem Nm? You are always calling people out to fight or duel or whatever. What are you, 75? You would get your ass KICKED by the skinniest of twerps on this board. Chill out.

15 Apr 2011 16:45 #33 by Nmysys
My problem is that I don't like being called numbnuts by anyone. I am 70 but I doubt very seriously that there are many around the corridor that can kick my ass. Take it for what it's worth!!

15 Apr 2011 18:04 #34 by outdoor338

15 Apr 2011 18:10 #35 by Rick

AspenValley wrote:

CriticalBill wrote:

AspenValley wrote:

CriticalBill wrote: So that aside, what do you think about the topic? And since nobody else answered my question, what do you think about the Obama speech I posted on the previous page? Care to get involved in the actual topic?

I already commented on the actual topic, that's when the hordes of mosquitos came out.

I'm just asking you to watch and listen to the video of Obama that I posted.

I have no idea where you posted it. You said the "previous page" but I dont' see it. Link, maybe?

So I respectfully ask you or anyone else with the guts to answer THIS question: Did Obama lie about reducing the deficit by half or is there some other plausible reason for it not being pushed by him? Have we seen any effort by Obama to make the cuts needed or have we even heard him talk about doing it prior to this current controversy?

Without seeing the video, I will say right up front that what Obama talked about doing during the campaign and what actually became possible or even advisable changed radically before he took office. It makes sense to reduce deficits when the economy is relatively strong but I think it's terrible economic policy during a severe recession to make this a priority. It makes sense to keep deficits low during economic boom times (the opposite of what the last administration did) but few economists find it good policy to be trying to slash government spending when the economy is in a severe recession. So if your question is, did Obama change his policy as conditions changed, I'd say, yes he did, and rightfully so.

On the other hand, I find it distressing and even stupid for him now to be buying into the Republican drumbeat that somehow the root of our economic problem is the deficit. It flat-out isn't. The problem is in the private sector, although we'd be much better positioned to weather the economic contraction we're in if the past administration hadn't spent like a drunken sailor while cutting taxes at the same time. The failed policies of more than 30 years of "Voodoo Economics" are coming home to roost, and all the Republican chest thumping about making it the fault of Medicare or food stamps is just so much horse sh**, meant to deflect the public from the truth, which is that the richest 1/2 of % and the largest corporations have effectively kicked the working class to the curb, shrunk the middle class to something less than 10% of the population with about 80% of the tax burden, and have turned what once was the greatest economic engine in the democratic world into something resembling the oligarchies of South America or maybe even the modern day equivalent of feudalism.

Here's the video:

[youtube:nf6l8bnc]
[/youtube:nf6l8bnc]

After you give your thoughts on it, I'd be curious to know why the private sector is at fault here as you claim.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

15 Apr 2011 18:53 #36 by kresspin

CriticalBill wrote: And since nobody else answered my question, what do you think about the Obama speech I posted on the previous page? Care to get involved in the actual topic?

Here's what I posted on it, several posts before you said no one answered your question:

kresspin wrote: PS: CriticalBill, the video you posted, I believe, was recorded before the economy went into the worst tailspin since the Great Depression.

What's worse than tax and spend? No tax and spend, as Bush did. It was crazy to try and run two wars, sending out deficit spiraling downward and announcing tax breaks at the same time.

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds