Earth Day April 22, 2011

24 Apr 2011 16:52 #31 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Earth Day April 22, 2011
internet

Regards,
Major Bean

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Apr 2011 16:53 #32 by kresspin
Replied by kresspin on topic Earth Day April 22, 2011

Trouble wrote:

kresspin wrote: We're trillions of dollars in the hole, our economy is one step away from collapse and the right is in a tizzy over carbon offsets and the president's trip in Air Force One on Earth Day.

Unbelievable.

The only one having a tizzy is you...I'm just having a little "carbon offsetting" fun!

Posing an observation does not a tizzy make.

24 Apr 2011 16:57 #33 by Obam me
Replied by Obam me on topic Earth Day April 22, 2011

archer wrote:

Trouble wrote:

major bean wrote: You might consider that carbon offset fees are a huge taxes. they are new taxes. they are huge taxes. It will cripple the economy.
Every product that you purchase will have the tax added to the price of this product. Not all countries will be assessed the same amount for their goods, so it is also a tariff against the U.S. products.
The carbon offset taxes will be spent on giveaway projects and entitlements.
The carbon offset tax will not reduce carbon emissions.
The carbon offset tax cannot eliminate carbon emissions.

Please consider that the largest offender with carbon emissions is the gov't.

And liberals love it!! No surprise there!

source?

Easy.

Hollywood, Al Gore and those granola-munching hippies from the 60's...and the various and sundry liberal posters on 285.

24 Apr 2011 16:58 #34 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Earth Day April 22, 2011
nope....that's not going to cut it.....we need a real source, not your opinion.

24 Apr 2011 16:59 #35 by Obam me
Archer...your last post is embarassing...seriously. You need a source for Hollywood and Al Gore? Yikes!

24 Apr 2011 17:03 #36 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Earth Day April 22, 2011

Trouble wrote: Archer...your last post is embarassing...seriously. You need a source for Hollywood and Al Gore? Yikes!

well if you're so embarrassed, give us a source for your statement that "liberals love it" in response to major beans post that the largest offender of carbon emissions is the government. I don't know of a single liberal that loves that. So again....source?

24 Apr 2011 17:25 #37 by Obam me
Hey Arch..it's called Google. And I even spelled it for ya!!

24 Apr 2011 18:11 #38 by ScienceChic

Trouble wrote:

I'm still really curious as to what sources you found your information that forms the basis of your beliefs - I'm always looking for the weak-links/gaps in my knowledge, the stuff I haven't considered that might change my mind. Anything you'd like to share would be appreciated! Thanks!

I can just hear the sarcasm in this post! I think I've backed up why, in my opinion, it's totally ridiculous...but hey, if it makes ya feel good to pay those extra taxes...just do it!! :wink:

And exactly why do you think that there's any sarcasm there? Here's a hint - if someone admits that they don't know everything and are searching for more knowledge, then it means that they are humble; they understand that they don't have all the answers and are still trying to learn as much as they can. I was asking very sincerely and honestly - all I ever do is attempt to search for the truth. If you have a source that I haven't seen before, it's only going to be another source of knowledge to use in my analysis.

You merely backed up the scams to watch out for and I countered with where I pay into and how those scams are avoided if you do your proper research (just like any other product you buy - you look for good ratings and reviews, reliability records, etc) - you did nothing to address the issue of paying for carbon offsets that are effective. I listed out what I do directly myself to reduce my carbon footprint, and how I use offsets to cover the remainder, and listed the group that I pay into who has a good track record. So how is it ridiculous to pay into a fund that supports projects that directly reduce our carbon emissions on top of what my family already does?

major bean wrote: You might consider that carbon offset fees are a huge taxes. they are new taxes. they are huge taxes. It will cripple the economy.
Every product that you purchase will have the tax added to the price of this product. Not all countries will be assessed the same amount for their goods, so it is also a tariff against the U.S. products.
The carbon offset taxes will be spent on giveaway projects and entitlements.
The carbon offset tax will not reduce carbon emissions.
The carbon offset tax cannot eliminate carbon emissions.

Please consider that the largest offender with carbon emissions is the gov't.

And no, to both of you, current carbon offsets are NOT taxes - these are voluntary donations made by individuals and companies to pay for projects that lower our emissions directly. There have been no laws passed that requires individuals or companies to pay for their carbon footprint. Major bean, of course the government is the biggest offender - in that they continue to subsidize polluting fossil fuels and haven't done nearly enough to move our economy into sustainable energy production.

A tax on carbon will do what it should - reduce use. Carbon emissions will never be completely eliminated and that's fine - there are many natural sources out there - but it will attempt to reduce what extra we are putting into the atmosphere burning fossil fuels, doing unnecessary transport, and creating products that add emissions (all of which need to be done in conjunction with reducing deforestation). If it's implemented at the source of production (fee-and-dividend, I've talked about it before), then the cost will be passed on to all countries equally.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Apr 2011 18:12 #39 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Earth Day April 22, 2011
Al Gore is a greedy ass. That's no excuse for deliberate ignorance of science. It's sad that the GOP has decided to embrace ignorance in the name partisanship. Pure intellectual laziness.

24 Apr 2011 18:19 #40 by daisypusher

There have been no laws passed that requires individuals or companies to pay for their carbon footprint

Boulder (Colorado) implemented the United States’ first tax on carbon emissions from electricity, on April 1, 2007, at a level of approximately $7 per ton of carbon. According to the City of Boulder, the tax is costing the average household about $1.33 per month, with households that use renewable energy receiving an offsetting discount. The city expected the tax to generate about $1 million annually until its expiration in 2012, with the revenues used to fund Boulder’s climate action plan to further reduce energy use and to comply with the Kyoto Protocol (Kelley 2006). In June 2009, the City Council voted unanimously to raise the tax level, effective Aug. 6, 2009. Although press reports did not specify the new rate, the expected increase in revenues, some $810,000 annually, suggests that the increase is on the order of 80%, or perhaps $5-$6 per ton of carbon (on top of the original $7/ton).

http://www.carbontax.org/progress/where-carbon-is-taxed/

The carbon tax is just one or two votes away - anywhere.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds