Firm hired to defend DOMA in court calls it quits

25 Apr 2011 10:56 #1 by LadyJazzer

Firm hired to defend DOMA in court calls it quits

The law firm hired by the House of Representatives to defend the Defense of Marriage Act in court has decided it will drop its defense of the federal statute, which defines marriage as between a man and a woman.

The firm, King and Spalding, had faced protests from gay rights groups after its contract with the House Administration Committee and General Counsel - along with its attached price tag of up to $500,000 -- was reported. The Human Rights Campaign announced a national campaign last week to urge the group to withdraw from the agreement.

The firm had agreed to work on behalf of the GOP-led House after the Obama administration announced earlier this year that the Department of Justice would no longer defend the law, which it says is unconstitutional.

Paul Clement, a former Solicitor General under President George W. Bush and the lead lawyer on the legal team hired to defend DOMA in court, has also resigned from King and Spalding.

In his resignation letter, Clement wrote that his decision was a result of his "firmly-held belief that a representation should not be abandoned because the client's legal position is extremely unpopular in certain quarters."

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... -it-quits-

Wow, in the face of the money they keep screaming about that's being "wasted in government", they somehow manage to find $500,000 to keep fighting a lawsuit about something that the DOJ says is unconstitutional...Except, the law firm they hire has even dropped the case...and the lead guy who brought it into the firm resigns....

I guess "the show must go on..." rofllol :lol:

Where are the jobs?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Apr 2011 12:15 #2 by FredHayek
So you like it when unpopular cases are abandoned? So you wouldn't have been upset if the ACLU had abandoned the first homosexual right court cases because they were unpopular with the general public? The ACLU could have decided to cave because it might affect donations, but you would be upset in that example, right?

Once again Obama is revealed to be 2-faced. In his presidential campaign, he supported DOMA, but now can't be bothered to have his Justice Department defend it. I wonder if that will lose him African-American votes in 2012 because they are traditionally against homosexual marriage.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

25 Apr 2011 12:40 #3 by LadyJazzer
Where are the jobs?

Spending $500,000 on a case that's probably unconstitutional is OK, but we need to cut "Big Bird"? I believe that's called hypocrisy...

Last I heard, the ACLU wasn't getting paid out of Congressional funds paid for by our tax dollars...

25 Apr 2011 13:26 #4 by FredHayek

LadyJazzer wrote:
Where are the jobs?

"Are you better off now than you were three years ago?" I don't think so, trillions more in debt with no more jobs.

25 Apr 2011 13:30 #5 by LadyJazzer
I'm still waiting for a link to a case where the ACLU was paid out of taxpayer funds... Since that's your definition of "hypocrisy", where is a link?

And yes, I AM better off than I was 3 years ago... Bush isn't the president, jobs are not being lost at the rate of 750,000/month like they were when Bush was president; the unemployment numbers are back up a full percentage point; and a few of the slimebags on Wall Street have been stopped.

But since the TeaBaggers took over the house, they promised to focus on jobs, jobs, jobs...But all they've done is pass bullcrap about abortion, and now they want to spend $500,000 of taxpayer money to fight for DOMA???

But THIS thread is about:

DIVORCE OVER DOMA
Firm Ditches GOP Over Defense Of Anti-Gay Law

Top Lawyer Quits.. Boehner Disappointed In Firm’s Decision

25 Apr 2011 13:36 #6 by AspenValley

SS109 wrote:

LadyJazzer wrote:
Where are the jobs?

"Are you better off now than you were three years ago?" I don't think so, trillions more in debt with no more jobs.

Most people aren't, that's true.

But I don't expect that most people will be better off in 3 more years, or even 8 more years. What's wrong with the economy isn't just a little bump in the road. And maybe not even entirely fixable, EVER. But I'm not seeing any politician of any stripe even willing to talk about that fact. The deficit is a symptom, not the cause.

Which is probably why the politicians would rather talk about abortion and gay marriage and anything at all they can come up with to distract people from what is really going on in this country.

25 Apr 2011 13:42 #7 by FredHayek
Are you sure you are better off?

Gitmo? Still open.
Iraq? Still tens of thousands of Americans assigned there and the goverment is still a mess, what has Obama done to improve the situation?
Afghanistan? More American combat troops are there than ever before, meanwhile Barack hasn't been able to keep our allies supporting the mission. I thought other companies respected him.
Libya? Stalemate and the Libyan rebels think we haven't helped them enough.
Bush tax cuts? Still in place.
Obamacare? Still so far off in the future, the Supremes don't feel a need to rush it to court.

A group of Dems pound on the White House door, nope, they aren't there to see Obama's birth certificate, they want to see if he is actually a card carrying Democrat, because he sure acts like a Republican.

25 Apr 2011 13:54 #8 by LadyJazzer
Crank up the DEFLECTOR BEAMS, Scotty!!

Weapons of Mass Deflection again?

I'm still waiting for a link to a case where the ACLU was paid out of taxpayer funds... Since that's your definition of "hypocrisy", where is a link?

And yes, I AM better off than I was 3 years ago... Bush isn't the president, jobs are not being lost at the rate of 750,000/month like they were when Bush was president; the unemployment numbers are back up a full percentage point; and a few of the slimebags on Wall Street have been stopped.

But since the TeaBaggers took over the house, they promised to focus on jobs, jobs, jobs...But all they've done is pass bullcrap about abortion, and now they want to spend $500,000 of taxpayer money to fight for DOMA???

But THIS thread is about:

DIVORCE OVER DOMA
Firm Ditches GOP Over Defense Of Anti-Gay Law

Top Lawyer Quits.. Boehner Disappointed In Firm’s Decision

25 Apr 2011 14:18 #9 by FredHayek
I was just using the ACLU as a organization willing to defend unpopular causes wheras this law firm clearly felt pressure from its prospective clients on the left so it turned down the Fed's money. Congress might need to find a right wing NGO of lawyers to take on this case.

25 Apr 2011 14:24 #10 by LadyJazzer
And waste our taxpayer dollars defending something that doesn't need defending...instead of using our taxpayer dollars to create jobs..

Got it.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds