Journalism?

05 May 2011 06:59 #21 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Journalism?
I doubt that if the Commandor of the Mission That Killed bin lurden, would tell anybody.
These elite fighters, are EYES ONLY TOP SECERT,
1. reason they can be killed, off duty,
2.they're families can be killed at any time,
3. they don't do their jobs for self glory, they do it for the glory and protection of the U.S.,
4. If he did command this mission, he & ALL family members are now on a hit-list, he's retired, and he and HIS WHOLE FAMILY will be moved into some protection program.

Come -on look at the scource!
IMO, the huff&puffington post would post his/her name, because they could care less who gets killed from the military, and only for they're self serving proposes. They have no rescept, and are lairs.

[Edited:If this is true, where ever h&p got this should be brought up on charges.
Not h&p because I beleive in the FREEDOM of the Press, it's just shameful they would print this, and if he didn't command the mission, then if anybody (him/His whole family) are hurt the blood will be on h&p's hands!]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 May 2011 09:52 #22 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Journalism?
TPP....who he is and what he does is common knowledge

Vice Admiral William H. McRaven. Vice Admiral McRaven assumed command of the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) on June 13, 2008. ...

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/navybio.asp?bioid=401

They printed nothing that that couldn't be found with a simple google search.

05 May 2011 10:13 #23 by ComputerBreath
Replied by ComputerBreath on topic Journalism?
The AF also pushes college and getting a degree. As a matter of fact, when eligible and competing for E8 & E9 (Senior Master Sergeant and Chief Master Sergeant) in the AF, if the individual does not have a 4-year college degree, the chances of them getting promoted are slim.

When an individual decides to go active duty, it doesn't matter what degree they have (except if they are medical or legal), they are put in a job where there is a need. I worked with a Security Forces Dog Handler whose degree was in engineering. One of my favorite bosses graduated from the Academy with a degree in engineering and worked in Transportation/Logistics. You go where the military needs you, period.

05 May 2011 10:22 #24 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Journalism?

ComputerBreath wrote: You go where the military needs you, period.

Yep....my brother, a Philosophy of Religion major, joined the Army as a Lieutenant and became a helicoptor pilot.

05 May 2011 19:43 #25 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic Journalism?

SS109 wrote: It is interesting to see how many people in special forces have advanced degrees, much higher than the national average.

I can't speak for the special forces, but the Navy Seals along with the rest of Naval personnel are encouraged to get thier degrees. It makes a difference in promotions, etc.

05 May 2011 20:51 #26 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Journalism?
I agree that a college (4 year) degree (in whatever) is a nice thing to have. In some areas, it is very important, in others not a big deal.

I think we significantly over-emphasize the importance of a college degree for the majority.

For example, a college degree is not necessary for someone who has the ability and interest to repair vehicles - a techinical school devoted to that is much more appropriate. The same is true for many fields.

I have worked with many 'degreed engineers' who did not have enough common sense to pour p*ss out of a boot with the instructions on the heel. I have also worked with many who had not completed 'formal' high school education, who truly understood what they were doing, and were very good at it.

With the high cost of college education today, I think we should place much more emphasis on training in the area that an individual is really interested in, and less on the perceived value of a college degree.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

05 May 2011 22:19 #27 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Journalism?

jf1acai wrote: I agree that a college (4 year) degree (in whatever) is a nice thing to have. In some areas, it is very important, in others not a big deal.

I think we significantly over-emphasize the importance of a college degree for the majority.

For example, a college degree is not necessary for someone who has the ability and interest to repair vehicles - a techinical school devoted to that is much more appropriate. The same is true for many fields.

I have worked with many 'degreed engineers' who did not have enough common sense to pour p*ss out of a boot with the instructions on the heel. I have also worked with many who had not completed 'formal' high school education, who truly understood what they were doing, and were very good at it.

With the high cost of college education today, I think we should place much more emphasis on training in the area that an individual is really interested in, and less on the perceived value of a college degree.

I generally agree with all of this. We have overemphasized college at the expense of trade schools perhaps because of parental good intension, not to mention media propaganda that everyone is entitled to a college education. We want our kids to do better than us and in the process lost site of reality. At the sake of sounding harsh, not all kids are college material. Nor do all kids desire a college education, but go because parents think it is BEST for them, perhaps getting parental ego overshadow sound decision making.

It is always a difficult to find the balance between what one would like to do most and what will actually pay the bills throughout life. Some of us got lucky in that regard. But, I digress. I'd like to use my brother as an example. He shunned college for many years while pursuing his construction business. He is exceptionally talented, creative, and hard working. He enjoyed what he did but eventually realized he needed more education to do some of the engineering for which a license was required. He did what I could never conceive of doing, went to night school. Ten years he persisted to get a two year degree. He is an example of a very bright, certainly college capable individual, for whom college was not the end all. Just like we need bright leaders, we also need bright talented worker bees. Currently our society has a highly negative and dismissive perception to jobs not requiring college education. It as much as anything is a major source of our problem, such as the dumbing down of college education and the disrespect for blue collar work. Just because my brother has a limited college education does not imply he is stupid. Far from it. He can fix everything, and I mean everything and is far more talented and knowledgeable in many areas than I.

05 May 2011 23:09 #28 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Journalism?
It's a shame that we've so emphasized college degrees that we let our trades slip. An apprenticeship used to be an honorable way to learn a trade and a skilled tradesman could make as much or more than a doctor or lawyer. Now most of the trades seem to be done by crews of immigrants. Is ho est labor too good for Americans or just too poor paying?

05 May 2011 23:31 #29 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Journalism?

chickaree wrote: It's a shame that we've so emphasized college degrees that we let our trades slip. An apprenticeship used to be an honorable way to learn a trade and a skilled tradesman could make as much or more than a doctor or lawyer. Now most of the trades seem to be done by crews of immigrants. Is ho est labor too good for Americans or just too poor paying?

Unfortunately, craftsman skills are only appreciated when they are needed rather than admired for the skills developed. I do not believe it is poor pay but low demand. Compensation for top craftsmen is very good, because the supply is so small. It's hard to make a living if you only have a few jobs every year.

06 May 2011 00:06 #30 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Journalism?
My great grandmothers house in Iowa had some of the most beautiful brickwork I've ever seen. There was no reason for it but an expression of pride and skill. It's sad that so many of the artisan touches have gone out of modern living. Now it's just quick and dirty.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds