Journalism?

04 May 2011 14:20 #1 by archer
Journalism? was created by archer
There have been a few threads that dealt with the need to get "meaningful" degrees in college.....I guess journalism qualifies.

William H. McRaven, University Of Texas Journalism Major, Commanded Mission That Killed Bin Laden

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/0 ... 57584.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 May 2011 14:40 #2 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Journalism?
Looks like the commander had a crisis of morality and killing people in cold blood seemed more moral to him than making up stories and inserting his opinion. (Totally kidding!!!!!)

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

04 May 2011 14:54 #3 by pchistory
Replied by pchistory on topic Journalism?
The pen is mightier than the sword.

04 May 2011 15:06 #4 by Residenttroll returns
Replied by Residenttroll returns on topic Journalism?
It's interesting the weight liberals put on a piece of paper.... experience counts far beyond any piece of paper on the wall. This is example how the elitist believe you need some degree or advance degree to be productive and successful in your career... it's pitiful that we make individuals suffer thought colllege debt and education for careers that really don't require a degree.....

04 May 2011 15:25 #5 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Journalism?
It's interesting how the conservatives will spin their previous statements so they won't look like fools. Sorry, you still look foolish.

I posted this because I see over and over again where it's not what the degree is but the fact that someone worked hard enough, was responsible enough, and intelligent enough, to stick to it and get a degree. That is what companies and even the military look for when evaluating candidates for certain positions. Sure, you might be able to do a particular job without a degree, but having the degree, in almost anything, already puts you ahead of those who would not, or could not, apply themselves for 4 or more years to get theirs.

04 May 2011 15:28 #6 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Journalism?

04 May 2011 15:42 #7 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Journalism?
It is interesting to see how many people in special forces have advanced degrees, much higher than the national average.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

04 May 2011 15:44 #8 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Journalism?

archer wrote: It's interesting how the conservatives will spin their previous statements so they won't look like fools. Sorry, you still look foolish.

I posted this because I see over and over again where it's not what the degree is but the fact that someone worked hard enough, was responsible enough, and intelligent enough, to stick to it and get a degree. That is what companies and even the military look for when evaluating candidates for certain positions. Sure, you might be able to do a particular job without a degree, but having the degree, in almost anything, already puts you ahead of those who would not, or could not, apply themselves for 4 or more years to get theirs.

I agree that hard working, responsible, intelligent folks who are not quitters are more likely to succeed with a degree than without a degree.

I also think that irresponsible, lazy quitters who should not have graduated from HS go on to college, get a soft degree and graduate no better then when they went it.
As an aside, I saw three college grads on Jepordey last night who did not even ring in on 403 devided by 13.

04 May 2011 15:46 #9 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Journalism?

SS109 wrote: It is interesting to see how many people in special forces have advanced degrees, much higher than the national average.

the word "special" says it all......

04 May 2011 15:48 #10 by AspenValley
Replied by AspenValley on topic Journalism?

residenttroll wrote: It's interesting the weight liberals put on a piece of paper.... experience counts far beyond any piece of paper on the wall. This is example how the elitist believe you need some degree or advance degree to be productive and successful in your career... it's pitiful that we make individuals suffer thought colllege debt and education for careers that really don't require a degree.....

I guess that would be true if a degree really was "just a piece of paper", that you could print off from the internet or something.

But last I heard, at least from selective colleges and universities, they don't just hand you one without putting in some serious work.

I don't think college is for everyone, though, and I agree too many young people are going into debt these days to get meaningless degrees. Maybe 10% of professions actually require an advanced degree. Can't see much point in someone having a Ph.D in flower arranging or plumbing.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds