Journalism?

06 May 2011 06:16 #31 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Journalism?

chickaree wrote: It's a shame that we've so emphasized college degrees that we let our trades slip. An apprenticeship used to be an honorable way to learn a trade and a skilled tradesman could make as much or more than a doctor or lawyer. Now most of the trades seem to be done by crews of immigrants. Is ho est labor too good for Americans or just too poor paying?

I agree!
IMO, Thank the unions for that, they have made it very difficult/expensive to hire tradesmen/women.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 May 2011 08:11 #32 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Journalism?

chickaree wrote: My great grandmothers house in Iowa had some of the most beautiful brickwork I've ever seen. There was no reason for it but an expression of pride and skill. It's sad that so many of the artisan touches have gone out of modern living. Now it's just quick and dirty.

There is sadness associated with all loss and I empathize with your feelings on this matter. Progress is not always for the better, and the loss of artisan touches is an example of that.

10 May 2011 09:10 #33 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Journalism?

archer wrote: There have been a few threads that dealt with the need to get "meaningful" degrees in college.....I guess journalism qualifies.

William H. McRaven, University Of Texas Journalism Major, Commanded Mission That Killed Bin Laden

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/0 ... 57584.html

No wonder he joined the service.

http://bigjournalism.com/rross/2011/05/ ... lism-is-1/

10 May 2011 09:23 #34 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Journalism?

TPP wrote:

chickaree wrote: It's a shame that we've so emphasized college degrees that we let our trades slip. An apprenticeship used to be an honorable way to learn a trade and a skilled tradesman could make as much or more than a doctor or lawyer. Now most of the trades seem to be done by crews of immigrants. Is ho est labor too good for Americans or just too poor paying?

I agree!
IMO, Thank the unions for that, they have made it very difficult/expensive to hire tradesmen/women.

I just saw this post since the thread was revived this morning....and I don't understand it. How have unions made it difficult/expensive to hire an electrician, plumber, carpenter etc?

10 May 2011 09:52 #35 by TPP
later

10 May 2011 10:01 #36 by Martin Ent Inc
Replied by Martin Ent Inc on topic Journalism?
Union workers, analize, go see if it Our work, call the other unions to verify if it is their work, make sure we have 3 of everything, BREAK, Ok back to where were we, Oh yeah waiting on teamsters cause seems like everything is theirs, LUNCH, saftey meeting, talk about Bob getting divorced, Ok back to work lay out tools, missing something, Clean Up day over.
Looks like tomorrow we will go on OT to complete, yeah mo $$.

Non Union guys, You needs a handrail, grab material, you 2 hold this Bill cut that , blah blah, Want Lunch? after we get this up and secure.
Hammer, nail, weld, paint, OK cool we be done.

10 May 2011 10:08 #37 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Journalism?
I don't blame the unions, I blame those who would rather have cheap then good. It used to be that 20 years experience counted for more than a fancy degree or certification. Not anym more.

10 May 2011 11:21 #38 by TPP

Martin Ent Inc wrote: Union workers, analize, go see if it Our work, call the other unions to verify if it is their work, make sure we have 3 of everything, BREAK, Ok back to where were we, Oh yeah waiting on teamsters cause seems like everything is theirs, LUNCH, saftey meeting, talk about Bob getting divorced, Ok back to work lay out tools, missing something, Clean Up day over.
Looks like tomorrow we will go on OT to complete, yeah mo $$.

Non Union guys, You needs a handrail, grab material, you 2 hold this Bill cut that , blah blah, Want Lunch? after we get this up and secure.
Hammer, nail, weld, paint, OK cool we be done.

And under quote, & estimated time to complete.
:thumbsup: Thanks MEI, couldn't have said it better myself.
There ya go archer!

10 May 2011 11:30 - 10 May 2011 11:45 #39 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Journalism?
Right. Out of high school I worked briefly for a cabinet shop in Chatham, NY. It was unionized. The first time they had me making checkout counters, I got holly hell for not taking breaks. Heck they hardly got there before taking a break. Right, they got their tools ready, talked about home life, considered what was to be done and then went on break. By that time I had most of one cabinet done. They did not like that at all I lasted a few months before being let go. I've no use for unions. I'd rather get a chance to produce, put my skills and work ethic on display to earn my pay. I figure, if I do a better job than the fellow competing with me, I'll get the better paying jobs. It's worked for me in all that I have undertaken as a blue collar worker and professional. Unionized labor includes lots of poorly skilled craftsmen who would not fare well in a competitive environment. They drive up the production costs and exclude non-union workers from job sites that are unionized. The high pay and less than top production drives up the cost of living and with that, a non-union craftsman must ask for wages that are comparable just to survive. Worse yet, much of the cost for products in a union shop doesn't even go to the workers. Like government, there are plenty leaches that make a living in administration and management, all positions not needed in a non-unionized shop.

Edited to add. Unions are having a fit over Bowing wishing to open a factory in S. Carolina where they do no have to use union labor. Can you imagine that the union is trying to prevent that from happening??????

10 May 2011 11:43 #40 by chickaree
Replied by chickaree on topic Journalism?
No doubt unions have abused their power, but do a little reading about how it was pre-union, or check the working conditions in the factories overseas where our "cheap" products are made. Is it your ambition to have your kid work under these conditions? It is de riguer lately for all righties to hate and denigrate the workers and their unions, but it is naive to believe that manufacturers would continue safe working conditions without unions to apply pressure.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds